PDA

View Full Version : Thompson River

sav
09-03-2002, 06:16 PM
couple of us are off to the Thompson at Longreach next month. (this will drag you in Bomber). River is running at the moment at about foot below old bridge.
I havn't fished this river for about 10 years so are there any western visitors to ausfish that can tell me what gear to take out.
I suspect the water will be too dirty for spinners if it is still running although I have heard they are finally cathing a few with spinners around the boat ramp?.
No matter what we will sit on the bank and watch the sun go down - any fish will be a bonus.
See ya all
Sav

Katrina
09-03-2002, 06:23 PM
;DI lived in Longreach for a few years in the mid to late 80's,never did the river ever resemble any form of clarity! Do they use spinners etc out there now? I used to go fishing with a friend and her dad, and we just chucked in bait on handlines. Her old man used to catch heaps. I only ever caught a catfish. Good luck

sav
12-03-2002, 04:57 PM
Katrina
I've caught heaps of yellas on spinners in the Barcoo near Isisford but never in the Thompson myself. I heard from a couple of locals that fish have been caught on spinners near the boat ramp.
I have also heard they catch them on spinners in the Darr River (runs in to thompson just south/west Longreach. This river has more rocky pools and tends to clear more than the Thompson.
You bring back memories. I was born and bred out there and can remember my mother dropping me at the river with a few handlines and a dilly and old shin bone, and picking me up about 5 hours later. Always caught a feed for the family which was a big thrill for a kid.
I'll put a post in here on how I go (late April we are going).
See ya.
Sav

Katrina
12-03-2002, 05:04 PM
;D My family had friends on a property on the Darr, but we only used to swim there. It was pretty muddy, I think the livestock stirred it up a bit. Have a nice time, hope the weather's kind. (I can remember a few April floods, but that'll get the fish going, anyhow). Good luck!