View Full Version : Sooties down south?

team_mongo
15-04-2002, 03:02 PM
How far south do you get sooties?

Cheers

George

Fitzy
15-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Officially they've been stocked as far south as Lake Monduran (Gin Gin) & Awoonga (Gladstone), however very few captures were reported before they stopped stocking them in these spots.
The first decent sooty water you'll find is some water on the northern end of the Fitzroy system. Mackay is really where it all starts with Kinchant, Teemburra & Eungella Dams.

I'm told that sooties managed to find their way into Hinze Dam on the gold coast & are now established. This is unconfimed however.
You can also catch them at Glassies Fishing World at Beenleigh.

Cheers,

fitz

saundy
18-04-2002, 07:46 AM
One of the local guide here says he gets a few in the Mary River at Gympie. Also at a couple of the creeks upstream. I have never caught one there but I have seen a couple he has managed to pick up.

lordy
20-04-2002, 06:33 AM
Officially they've been stocked as far south as Lake Monduran (Gin Gin) & Awoonga (Gladstone), however very few captures were reported before they stopped stocking them in these spots.
The first decent sooty water you'll find is some water on the northern end of the Fitzroy system. Mackay is really where it all starts with Kinchant, Teemburra & Eungella Dams.

I'm told that sooties managed to find their way into Hinze Dam on the gold coast #& are now established. This is unconfimed however.
You can also catch them at Glassies Fishing World at Beenleigh.

Do you think they are breeding in Hinze? If they are its only a matter of time before someone translocates to other dams in SEQ. All the more reason to speed up the introduction of safer (non-breeding) species such as jacks. If they've got jacks and others hopefully they won't feel the need to translocate them illegally.