PDA

View Full Version : any1 know how to keep shrimp for long periods?

shrimpy
18-01-2002, 08:55 AM
???any1 know how to keep shrimp alive for long periods???

saundy
24-01-2002, 08:00 AM
We seemto manage keeping shrimp,crays and yabbies alive by much the same method. If you can get the shavings off a piece of pine {not treated] they are the best. By shavings I mean the curley strip you get when you run a hand plane accross a piece of pine. If you can't get that butchers paper will work. Place the pine or shredded paper inthe bottom of a container, dampen well with either salt or fresh water, depending on what you are putting down, put in some of the shrimp, yabbies etc. and more dampened pine/paper.
Place this container in the crisper or bottom of the beer fridge { the boss won't rouse then} and leave there until you go fishing. I always put a couple of the ice box blocks on the bottom of a cheap esky and put the bait on top of that. We have kept shrimp and yabbies etc for several days by this method.
saundy

sav
03-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Shrimpy
I've managed to keep shrimp for a few months in a large fish tank./ They attack everything especially the kids gold fish and are difficult to catch (they are quicker than any fish)
I also know a guy that catches them and holds them in a 44gal drum. He adds a fair bit of weed etc and they seem to survive.
In Toowoomba we have to pay about 25c per live shrimp so any method to keep them going for a while is worth listening to.
Regards
Sav

leggo
20-04-2002, 01:23 PM
this works with yabbies so i supose it will work with shrimp.feed them grated carrot i kept a yabby for 1 year doing this and change the water.hope this helps

SHANE
21-04-2002, 04:17 AM
HI SHRIMPY
the only way i,ve kept shimp for a long period (up to six weeks) is in a fish tank
feeding them on and sinking gold fish type food
a couple of points to watch out for is they need plenty of air (a good double airator)
if you can,t get a decent filter system try to change about a third of the water every day as it will start to stink up and the losses of shrimp will increase
the number of shrimp in the tank will have a big affect as well the little mungrels will fight all the time and kill each other

i transport all of my shrimp in a 20ltr water container when i go fishing if you camp just change the water regular and keep it cool at all times
just running one of those battery airators will keep them going (i,ve had them up to three days in the middle of summer)
better still if you camp near a powered site take the airartor from home

shane