PDA

View Full Version : Bass V sooty's

brendan
20-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Hi fellas,
Me again just want to hear from fisherman who have had the luck to hook both sooty's and Bass.
Which fish takes the prize?
Love to hear from anyone who has takled both.
Also like to hear about the dams and rivers around Mackay as I might be moving down there soon.
What is the best, where to go.
Thanks fellas
Brendan

Neil_c
20-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Gday Brendan

Having had the opportunity to fish for both Sooties and Bass I would have to say that the initial hit from a Sooty would leave Bass for dead. They are both special fish in their own ways but stopping a rampaging Sooty from getting back to it's snag takeds some beating ;D

The impoundment fishing around Mackay is only going to get better with 3 dams currently stocked with both Sooty Grunter and Barra and a forth dam under concideration. The Sooties are a target all year round with Eungella Dam holding some real horses at present. Teemburra Dam fished well over the warmer months for Barra and a few are still turning up at the moment. Kinchant Dam is good for Sooties with the odd Barra turning up occasionally. With more planned to be stocked this will hopefully change as well. :) :)

If you do find your way to Mackay and want to get a better picture of what is around come and join Mackay Area Fish Stocking Assn ;)

There are worse places than Mackay ;D

Neil

Fitzy
20-05-2002, 01:35 PM
In rivers/streams, definately sooties. Bass are a great sports & pound for pound better than most, but I don't think they beat Sooties for the title in river situations.
Have found soots a tad disappointing in impoundments on occasion where bass just seem to get better as they get bigger.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

StevenD
20-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi Brendon,
Yep I'd have to agree with the guys above.

Sooties would also get my vote over Bass.
There opening strikes are bone jarring stuff, especially on braid.

Dont forget Peter Faust (Proserpine) as it has some of the largest specimen's in the Mackay region.
Although I hear it's fishing a bit tough at present?
Talk to the Linsay at Proserpine Bait & Tackle as they'll fill you in on the latest.

The sooty in the photo's around the 8kg mark caught by Linsay on a trip we a did a while back.

We got a heap of big fish that day that all on spinnerbaits.

Hope this helps?

Regards Steve D

brendan
20-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks fellas,
Your responses were very helpful.
Thanks also for the rundown on the dams around Mackay, very much appreciated.
Thanks Steven for that photo that really kept my eyes open for a while, I will have to get a scanner so I can show you some of the spectacular freshwater spots up here and of cource the sooty's, jungle perch and the odd barra that go with it. You will all love it.

Cheers
Brendan.

Simon
21-05-2002, 11:22 AM
I'd say Sooties and agree with the previous posts. The only other thing I'll add is that sooties are more likely to straighten suspect hooks and trebles and I haven't had that problem yet with bass. Even in the open water of dams with a lighter drag than normal.

Cheers

Simon.