PDA

View Full Version : Chasing sooty's and JP's

brendan
22-05-2002, 07:12 AM
Hi Fellas me again just a note to tell all I'm heading up the Russel river(cairns) for a 2 day camping trip.
The weather is beautiful at the moment so hopefully the sooty's and the jungle perch will be keen to eat me poppers.
Wish me luck will get back to all on Monday to report back

Cheers
Brendan

adriancorrea
22-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Good luck there Brendan you lucky buggar Im working nights this weekend
looking forward to reading your reort
Got some friends up that way and Im planning a trip up there later this year.

Tight lines
Adrian

Jack_Lives_Here
22-05-2002, 07:26 AM
Brendan,

Heading up Hinchinbrook in Sept - any good sweetwater spots close by, either land or boat. We are basing at Lucinda.

brendan
28-05-2002, 02:57 PM
HI fellas well I'm back in cairns after a hectic 3 day trip.
The plan was to start on the tableands and walk down to the very start of the Russell river.
This took an unexpected 8hrs walk.
But when we got there the fishing was unreal, we got to the furtherest upstream point where the fish were and in that pool alone got 8 jungle perch and 2 little sooty's.
The Jungle perch were big they seemed to school up around the large boulders and almost bouncing the poppers off these boulders proved the way to go. The jungle perch were averaging out at 30cm with the bigest measuing 45cm.
As expected the sooty's were not that far upstrean we did catch a few however underneath a fig tree where they would of been feeding on figs, as soon as the popper hit the sooty's were on to it. Have caught alot under these trees and other trees so remember not only look at the snags in the water as overhanging trees are just as a good a holding spot for sooty's and JP's.
Overall we caught 38 fish all on popper most were caught a Rapala 'skitterpop' (smaller type).
Anyone interested we got a very detailed map from the parks on all sweetwater rivers in the area and there are alot of sneak tracks right to the tips of most of them

Happy fishing brendan

Left1
29-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Hey sounds great!
Have you got any fotos of that great country up there? I'd love to see it.

Left1