PDA

View Full Version : Lead Line

sav
10-05-2002, 06:56 PM
Hi all
Has anyone given lead line a go in the dams to get their lures that little bit deeper when trolling. I gave it a go the other day at Cressbrook and had 30m of leadline on with a mono leader and mono backing.
Caught a few good bass at about 30ft (my guess) but the thrill wasn't there. Line was so heavy there was little sensation or fight from the fish.
Am I using too much lead line in 30m.
Actually think it is a bit over rated and it may find its way in my wifes next garage sale.
Always on the water
Sav

Dino
22-05-2002, 10:06 AM
G'day Sav,

I too have recently started using lead core line, mainly in the snowy lakes ie Eucumbene and Jindabyne, and do agree that it is a bit clumsy. ::)
Yes, I believe that you are using the right amount of lead line ie 3 colours to get down to the fish zone, well that's about what I generally use anyway.
If you can put up with the lack of sensation, it can be a successfulI method. I generally fish a couple of rods, one with lead core and another flat line, and there is no doubt as to which method gives you the most excitement.
Guess it depends what you rate as most important, number of fish or enjoyment.
Cheers

Dino

bugman
26-05-2002, 05:57 AM
Sav,
I used lead line for the first time in Tassie over Christmas in Arthurs Lake.
My cousin lent me the real and said it was the best way to catch the brownies there at that time of the year.
He was right 15 brownies in three days of trawling.
12 caught on the lead line and three on the normal mono.
But I'd agree it's not the same sensation, more like scull dragging.
I think the prefered method would be a downrigger but there so bloody expensive.
If anyone's got a spare cheap downrigger for sale I'll be interested.
Regards
Bugman

vince
26-05-2002, 10:51 AM
hi sav.
you are right garage sale is the best way to get rid of the stupid invention, unless you are fishing for the sake of catching fish, I used it once in eucambene it felt like I was towing a boat I took it of instantly I never so it again.
good fishing.
vince.

Maxg
29-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Lead line is just a long sinker, and you can use as much of it as you like, the braided stuff is 13gns/foot of length but you can buy vynal covered very thin LC13 in 30 foot lengths. It is also 13 gns/ft.
Try a few feet on light line with a very slow troll. I cast a full LC13 on my fly rod, but not after trout. Max

Muzzy
11-06-2002, 11:23 PM
does funny things for you in the dry season max....

when barra seem to go small in the fresh water (small lures), the lures never seem to dive down past the rats (smaller fish).

one could get a nils spear head or little lucifer down to a horse if one wanted now couldnt they?

lead line rocks it just hurts on a straying forward hall on the long wand (near cut a bird in hallf with it also caught it mid cast)