PDA

View Full Version : Trout Fishing?

Left1
29-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Are there any trout anglers around these parts? ???
If so what is your chosen discipline? Spinning, fly, bait ........
Interested in your fishing stories.

Left1

Matty
30-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Trout fishing is my life, there's nothin like it. I mainly use bait and lures. I use mainly coarse angling gear and techniques when targeting trout.

I have many intersting, long stories.

This is definately my luckiest trout ever caught.
I was fishing on the La Trobe river, in was flowing high and very dirty. My cousin and I had been trying our luck with flies but had no success. We decided to put the long wands away and get out the feeder rods and use berley feeders with maggots for bait. We fished off a small island and had our baits where the river rejoined.
After hours without a touch we decided to call it quits. I had my rod out of the water and was waiting for him. I was mucking around and waving my my bait around just above the waters surface. I just dropped it in straight under my feet with a splash for the berley feeder and jokingly said "watch me catch one now". As i was speaking my rod tip started bouncing. I landing a small brown about 400g.
I must of dropped my bait right infront of his nose. I just don't know how my feeder didn't spook him.
Although this is by no means a big fish it is definetely one of my most memorable, only through stupidity and mucking around did I catch it.
Many people may call it a fluke or tin ass but I prefer to call it Skill ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Matty

fishy_phil
30-05-2002, 06:34 PM
g day
trout fishing was how i learned to fish. i caught my first one with dads help when i was nearly 4 oberon dam fitzroy falls n the snowy lakes were the locations.
i lived in tasmania for a few years 1991-95 got the place wired...go fishing bring back a good feed of fish every time no matter the weather.
now my chosen techniques are to fish with a bait in the water while either spinning or using the long wand.
the best trout ive got was a 8 lb brownie on 6lb line on a mudeye.
the day was sunny not a breath of wind so we went down the local lagoon and bagged out on 4-6 lb fish which was the general run of trout at this spot in the trees the bite slowed a little just started to pack up when BANG i hooked up turned him just before the trees and played him out and he was in the net after a 2 minute fight.(the 8lb er) all up we took home 40 trout our limit and bloody heaps of redfin none fo the trout smaller than 4lb no redfin smaller than 1kg. all trout at this spot were wild brownies no rainbows. all on mudeyes.
# # #
# # # # ah the good old days
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # tight lines phil
p.s. the place is called brushy lagoon but the redfin have taken over. the odd trout is caught just about always a monster over 10lb these days according to tony who fishes it often.

Rosso
11-06-2002, 05:15 PM
Greetings

At this point in time i have only been fishing for trout once.

That was in Ebor, which is about 6 hours south of brisbane (turn left at Guyra and go another 80kms or so)

I was with a few others from the Fly-fishing club and I didn't catch anything, and the closest I got to seeing a trout was at the hatchery!

However, it was a magic place and will do it again.

My next outing will be to the Snowy Mountains when the trout season opens again.

Should be another grand adventure.

Cheers,

Rosso

Slates
14-06-2002, 07:07 AM
G'day Left1.
I live in Geelong Vic and have access to some great trout fishing within 2 hrs drive.
Closest lake is Modewarre where there can be good flyfishing even though it is laced with carp.

My personal preference is for fly, but I love all forms.
I have fished Tassie at Arthurs lake and had a ball. We camped (my other passion) on the shore for a week and ate our bodyweight of camp oven tucker each day.

Caught some great trout too!!

Cheers, Slates

fishy_phil
28-06-2002, 01:59 PM
hey rosso
where in ebor did u go??
cheers
phil

Rosso
08-07-2002, 11:25 AM
The Styx river mate :)

As i said i was with 3 others in a 4WD and we could get down to the bottom of a gully.

At parts the river was very shallow (like ankles) but other parts very deep!

I can see the value of having waders now!

Rosso.