PDA

View Full Version : Info required on Glenbawn & Windamere......

Heepsy
12-06-2002, 05:12 PM
G'day All,
I am planning a trip to the above locations in late October. Being a "Victorian Lure Tosser" any info on these Lakes would be much appreciated.(ie, Time of year, Favorite Lures, Favorite methods etc)
What types of accomodation are there and any contact phone numbers would be great.
Cheers, Heepsy

SouthernRobbo
12-06-2002, 06:58 PM
G'day Heepsy & Ausfish members,

Came across the ausfish site and saw this post so i thought i would register and maybe help you out with some of the info you are after.

I can only speak of Glenbawn from expirience, but October things have started to warm up a little, and the fishing starts to hot up. Bass and Yellas can be found throughout the dam at this time of the year with the fresh weed beds forming pretty well at this stage.

It is a fair run up the dam to soil conservation sheds and beyond, and an eye needs to kept on the wind and weather as it can chop up very badly for smaller craft, but it can be worth the trip.

We have been having the most success using spinnerbaits to the weed and timber, but there are schools of Bass that will gladly take soft plastics. Casting hard bodies around the same areas will also produce, eg. deceptions, mcgraths, tilsans.

If you pass through Singleton drop in and say hi to Ross from Mackaway Tackle, you can't miss it, he's got about a 5 x 3 mtr bass on the roof of his shop. He carries a good supply of tackle and keeps his ear to the ground.

Just before the turn off to Glenbawn at Aberdeen you will also find Reon from Aberdeen Tackle, another good range of gear at competitive rates and he is onto what is being used whether bait,trolling or casting.

I've put in some info for accomadation, the village is outside the boom gate, and the state park stuff is all in and closer to the water.

http://www.stateparks.nsw.gov.au/glenbawn.html

http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~mbbaem/

Hope this stuff has been some help to you and anyone else who reads it.

Good luck and have a great trip.

SouthernRobbo.

Rosso
26-06-2002, 06:25 AM
Hi,

I have fished both dams without much success.

I like glennbawn because it has a really neat boat ramp. but i couldn't say what the fishing is like

As for Windamere, well...the few times i have fished there its been bloody cold, raining and windy!

If you are camping at Windamere *do not* camp on top of the hill! the wind will just knock you tent down (and other stuff as well)

I have had broken tent poles from that place.

Anyway, if you want any more info then email me.

Cheers

Rosso.

warlock
10-07-2002, 04:50 PM
Dear Heepsy,
I fish both dams as often as I can and agree with what the other guys have said. Windamere has been a favorite over the years. I have had quiet trips but the end of october should be OK as long as the water warms up a bit the yellas will come on the bite. If you have a boat and like casting lures then any of the weed beds will work. Wear the sunnies and if you are lucky you will see the fish slup the lure from the rod tip. keep an eye on the lure as it comes to the boat and work it right back the shadow u see may well be a Yella. I've also had a lot of success walking the banks and casting lures to stucture and over weed beds, crank it down and work it back slowly up over the weed bed. when you feel the lure touch the weed stop winding and let the lure back out and crank again etc... I had alot of sucess with decepion shrimps and nippers, manns +10s are ok anything that will crank to ten feet will work, I don't beleive color is as important as where you put the lure. Be patient and it will come together. My best yella at windamere was over five kilos my best bass at Glenbawn was 501mm and about three kilos and yes they pull like freight trains! I prefer spinnerbaits at glenbawn.
Good luck I hope you get some.
Tight lines
Warlock.