PDA

View Full Version : Silver Perch

Zulu
29-06-2002, 04:01 PM
any of you fellas had any luck on silver perch with lures.
what lures are the best???
any help would be appreciated

Fitzy
29-06-2002, 07:48 PM
Silvers tend to turn up more regularly for me if I'm running small minnows. They do occasionally take a lure meant for other species like in this pic.
http://www.sweetwateradventures.com.au/images/Silver.jpg
I think fly & soft plastics are a far better prospect for silvers than lures.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

fishy_phil
30-06-2002, 04:37 PM
g'day zulu
i've had a little sucess with tilsans, nilsmaster invincibles 5 & 8cm, also i've seen quite alot caught on the very small celtas and spinnerbaits. But by far the best tecnique is to use a worm or shrimps under a float.
hope this helps.
phil
hey fitzy what are some good flies for them???

scott_b
30-06-2002, 04:46 PM
only seen one silver spun , the oldman got a 5lb on a spinnerbait :o

Fitzy
30-06-2002, 05:09 PM
hey fitzy what are some good flies for them???
# # # # # # # # # #

Have got a few on woolly buggers & some little worm imitations in the past. Was planning to have a big push on working out how to get them more consistently. Haven't got around to it yet tho. Am thinking that some nymph imitations could work well as I've seen them actively feeding on them.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Goodoogetter
30-06-2002, 05:56 PM
The lure's I use for Cod and Golden Perch all catch Silver Perch, the small boomarang, Manns 15+, and hand carved lure's that have a slow heavy action all do well. depths around 4 metre's and my favorite colors are Green and yellow, Silver and red.
Cheers,
Howard
The Goodoogetter

Zulu
30-06-2002, 06:14 PM
hey fitzy
what are the best soft plastics for silver perch???
brand and colours???
i tried last time for em and didnt have any luck.

warlock
10-07-2002, 05:14 PM
Zulu,
I've never targeted silvers on lures but have caught them while casting for yellas. My wife got one over 500mm on a pink and blue boomarang!! It went like the clappers and nearly pulled her out of the boat!!
I think if I'd go out to target them I'd go small unweighted soft plastic?
Warlock.

Fitzy
10-07-2002, 07:39 PM
hey fitzy
what are the best soft plastics for silver perch???
brand and colours???
i tried last time for em and didnt have any luck.
Hi Zulu,
To be totally honest, I've only caught a couple of plastics that were meant for other fish. Jag or not, they're a welcome surprize & pull hard.
I really should put some more effort into catching them more consistently.
I think plastics have got a big future in catching silver perch. Just need a few clued up anglers to really work them out.
Cheers,

Fitzy..

The_Walrus
10-07-2002, 09:05 PM
I specifically target silvers in my area using a small floating fluro red crawdad.

This is very seasonal and particularly good when the local trees are dropping their fruit in the water and the silvers are feeding on them.

Size for size, I rekon silvers will pull a bass backward.

Luc