PDA

View Full Version : Albert and Logan

landy1
11-07-2002, 02:25 PM
G'day all
i recently posted a similar message to this on another forum but got little response.
i have recently been shown the light of fresh water fishing, and i am soon to start fly fishing for bass. what i know so far is that the regular impoundments are stocked as is the Brisbane River. i know fishing for riverine bass is limited due to the breeding season but i dont know the dates this applies to. also i am seeking to find out if the Albert and Logan rivers are carrying a resident population of bass as they have some extremely fishy looking water. at this point i am limited in my bass fishing techniques to shore based angling as i have no boat. any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
cheers

landy1
11-07-2002, 06:15 PM
G'day again
just read further back someone asked a similar question about the Albert. they said that the fishing above the weir was unknown. i assume this weir is the causeway crossing? does anyone know if as this other person (forgotten name) suggested the carp buster comps have allowed the release of bass etc upstream of this point.
these rivers must have bass in them. the upper reaches scream out for fly fishers stalking through the shallows to the deeper pools.
cheers

Randall
12-07-2002, 04:01 AM
Hi Landy, cant answer your questions about the Logan and Albert river systems but you sound like your serious about having fun fishing. (My kinda guy!!) ;-)

Wanna come out on my boat sometime and I`ll show you what I know about some great locations for Bass, flyfishing, and other salty species on light sports gear?

Send me an email.

Regards, Randall.

MikeC
12-07-2002, 06:51 AM
Hi Landy
The weir you mentioned is the Luscombe weir. [Albert River] It has a fish ladder in poor condition - or it was when I last saw it. There was talk of improving it. There used to be bass above it, mixed in with the carp. For a while I was able to fish some beautiful spots there on private property, but that ended when they sold up. Some of the carp were pretty big and love 'em or hate 'em there's no denying they were good sport on our bass gear, and quite prepared to attack our lures. Try them on flies. The bass we saw were up to a kilo or so, but mostly smaller. Perhaps they originated in farm dams. Maybe there's still some bass there but big floods in Autumn a couple of years ago [I think] wouldve sent most of them downstream over the weir.
Bound to be the odd one in the lower reaches though.
Good luck.
Mike

Col_Wiley
18-07-2002, 03:35 AM
There are certainly bass in both Rivers, the Carp Busters have not only attempted to reduce the Carp population up there but also have released bass finerling in both Rivers and the small streams that run into them.
The Australian Bass Association released into the Logan about 4,500 maybe 5 years ago and another 6000 in December 2000.
In Jan 2001 they also released $1000 worth of Mary River Cod (cannot remember how many) again into the Logan. They have also released bass and silvers into Boys Town Dam over the years to try and get the boys interested in fishing.
MikeC has the right idea, get to know some property owners on the Rivers, some beautiful water to fish there.

landy1
19-07-2002, 12:29 PM
>:(
g'day all
thanks for the replys guys. i went for a poke around on the upper logan yesterday and was thoroughly disgusted. the river is in terrible condition (macleans bridge area). so much so that i fired off a recount of my foray that night and sent it to one of the fishing papers/magazines who are going to print it in the near future. does anyone know where i can get contact details of the relevant environmental ministers to start hammering them with e-mails regarding the state of this river. i am going to check out the Albert in the next week or so, to see what condition its in aswell.
cheers