PDA

View Full Version : QLD closed season on bass

landy1
20-07-2002, 02:40 PM
G'day all
can anyone tell me what the dates are for the closed season on riverine bass in QLD. i have heard that one applys but cant find out any info. i wouldnt like to do anything inadvertantly to bother these fish in their reproductive season, but i dont know enough about them as a species. is it true as posted in the next post that they spawn with a drop in water temp?
cheers

klyons
20-07-2002, 05:58 PM
Landi1

The closed season for Bass in QLD is 1 June to 31 August (doesn't include stocked impoundments) according to the October 2001 Guidelines for recreational fishing in Qld -Freshwater(non-tidal).

Kev

Fitzy
20-07-2002, 06:09 PM
Spot on Klyons,
Australian Bass closed Season:

Areas: Throughout Queensland except in and upstream of Maroon, Hinze, Moogerah, Wivenhoe, North Pine, Cressbrook, Somerset, Baroon Pocket, Bjelke Petersen, Borumba, Gordonbrook, Boondooma, Lenthalls, Wuruma, Fred Haigh and Cania Dams and Lakes Dyer, Clarendon, MacDonald and Isis Balancing Storage.

Period of Closure: 1 June to 31 August

Only another 6 weeks to go!
Cheers,

Fitzy..

landy1
20-07-2002, 06:38 PM
thanks guys youve solved a head scratcher for me.
thanks for that other info Fitzy, i am always interested in the obscure. by the way does anyone know of a good general reference work on the ecology of SE Queenslands fresh water environments. its all new to me and i am keen to learn.
P.S. Fitzy can you send me details of your sweetwater guiding trips. fly for the riverine bass when season permits.
cheers

lordy
21-07-2002, 08:42 AM
Some of that bass closed season rule is a little out dated. Many of the bass are stuck in river where they can't spawn even if they wanted too, and are really just impoundments by another name. Still its better to have a bad blanket closure than no closure at all!