PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at Leslie Dam

jimmy007
10-09-2001, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

I'm a new member and i'm not quite sure how this board works.

If i am doing this right, my question is, is there anyone out there that has fished at leslie dam as i'm thinking of going down there to do a bit of camping with my family.
I am takeing my tinny down with me and was just wondering where the best place to go and what fish are there, tackle and so on.
So any info on any of the above would be very much appreciated.

P.S I have done plenty of freashwater fishing but this is my first time at dam fishing.

James.

Steve_Kanowski
12-09-2001, 03:57 PM
Hi Jimmy

Try slow trolling lures like manns 10&15+ in metalic blue or yellow tiger boomerangs. Use these around the rocks at the blackboys, and the rocks to the left of the dam wall,and you shouldn,t have too much trouble finding fish. Hold on to your rod as the yellows in Leslie are the hardest fighting yellows i,ve ever encounted.Hope you have a good trip. :)

Katrina
13-09-2001, 05:16 PM
;) Trolling lures around cod corner can produce some nice golden perch on deep divers. Any colour lure worked when this fish were happening. I have found that the warmer weather makes the fish more active. Caught some beautiful goldens out there in January. As for camping there, it's great for the family, take some yabby traps and chuck them into the ponds in the old quarry behind the campground. Kids love to catch them, and they're not bad live bait. If you don't get any fish, chuck a few on the barby. We've been there Aust. day weekend, Easter and Labour day long weekends this year, and will be going back out in November. The fishing was definitely slower through the cooler months, with the fish being more interested in live shrimp than lures. Mostly goldens are caught, but also silvers, murray cod, dewfish and spangled perch. Anyway, have a great time, I'm sure you will, and hope you get some.

dazparra
04-09-2002, 07:04 AM
The fishing at this dam is awesome. Just make sure you do not have to reply on earthworms or nightcrawlers.
If you go in water, rug up and know you can't get bait down there.
Take shrimp or crays with you in winter. They are worth gold down there in the colder months.
This dam is a yellow hunters heaven.

wrip109
05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Anybody know what the dam is like now (Sep 2011)?

winfurn
15-09-2011, 11:32 PM
fishing is a bit slow out there at the moment if realy bad head out to coolamunda dam it is doing quit well at this time on bait and lures

wrip109
16-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks winfurn.

Shame, Leslie used to be the best dam around anywhere for yellowbelly. It is a long trip for me(Ipswich) but I used to catch about twenty or so a session.

Phil