PDA

View Full Version : Clarrie Hall dam

GrahamW
28-03-2002, 09:33 AM
I am thinking of paying this dam a visit over Easter. I know it is 'electric only', howerver, I want to know if I can access the dam using my electric motor on a boat with an unused petrol motor on it...

Advice from anyone who knows much appreciated.

spook
14-05-2002, 04:51 AM
No as far as I know you cannot have a petrol motor attached to your boat, even if you do not intend to use it.
For more info, look up The Australian Bass Association, I think they have an E-mail contact, someone there will be able to give you advise!
Worth taking the motor off for the trip though, a Pretty place to spend a few Hours.

tonyp
14-05-2002, 06:42 PM
I am thinking of paying this dam a visit over Easter. I know it is 'electric only', howerver, I want to know if I can access the dam using my electric motor on a boat with an unused petrol motor on it...

Advice from anyone who knows much appreciated.

Graham,

In short the answer to your question is no, Petrol motor must be removed from your boat. And where you launch your boat from Crams farm is where the caretaker lives. You see you have to drive past his house to get to the boat ramp. He opens the gate at Office hours as well. If you want a prdawn start the best option is a canoe slid under the gate at the Dam wall entrance. But it is a lovely place. At moment it is around 54 percent,and a big change from the lilly clad dam of before.

dazparra
04-09-2002, 06:55 AM
Where is clarrie hall dam exactly?

Is it worth fishing from the bank?

What fish are there?

What happens if i am too lazy to remove petrol motor and I get caught with it there (not using, just being there?)

Col_Wiley
04-09-2002, 09:49 AM
Clarrie Hall Dam is in northern NSW, about 30 mins behind Murwillumbah on the Uki-Kyogle/Nimbin Road.
If you can lift your boat over a locked gate you can fish wall end of dam which is only about 17 mins from Murwillumbah. Otherwise drive 15 mins further on to Crams Farm to launch.
Gate there opens 7.30am, at moment you can fish from bank ok, dam level back up to about 56% last week.
Plenty of bass, if you know what you are doing you should manage double figures in winter. The local Shire Council together with the Australian Bass Association have been putting bass in there since about 1992. No real big fish as dam rolled over couple of years back and killed something between 3000 and 6000 bass as they were schooled down near wall wanting to become mothers.
Council has put a lot of time and money and showed a bit of foresight to go with the ABA and make it into a bass fishery, respect their wishes and leave your motor off.

Simon_Goldsmith
05-09-2002, 04:24 AM
Clarrie Hall is really one of the unknown gems compared to the other bass dams in SE Queensland in Northern NSW.

It is without a doubt one of my favourite places to fish. Visually it is quite spectacular, there are no crowds to speak of, and most importantly the fishing can be out of this world.

Fished the dam about a month ago with a good mate of mine and we got over 100 fish for the day. All on plastics pitched to weed and lilly lines.

By the end i was sick of catching fish and was suffering RSI in my rod hand from applying pressure to fish.

It's not always this good, but it is fairly consistent, and it's one of the easier dams to get sussed.

I actually hoping to get down there next week.

Regards

Simon.

sooty_mad
07-09-2002, 06:11 AM
Simon

I am planning on going to Clarrie Hall Dam this weekend.

Although I have visited there many times I haven't had the chance to toss a lure so any advice on where to go and what lures fish best would be greatly appreciated.

I do have an AFN map of the Dam so you can use place names etc.

Thanks and kind regards... David

Simon_Goldsmith
08-09-2002, 03:20 PM
Clarrie was made for fishing with plastics.

1/4 oz head, and packets of Sliders, Atomics, etc is all you'll need.

Fish the points and the weed and lilly lines.

Cast into the bank, drop it to the bottom and jig it back.

Sometimes you might have to manipulate the plastic to convert an enquiry into a hook-up.

It's not hard fishing, other than casting rattlers over the flats i find it the easiest way to catch bass.

Simon.

p.s. colours, go with chatreuse.