PDA

View Full Version : penrith lakes

chrisjon65
10-09-2002, 06:30 PM
went to penrith regatta centre today
and spoke to the manager
re fishing the lakes .
i dont know how many people out there know about it but by 2010
it will have more water than sydney harbour.
what i foundout might interest some people . they stocked it with 50000
bass and the scuba divers report
specimans @ 400mm +
im not a member of a club and
he informed me that clubs can book
fishing comps and has shown concern at lack of interest cost is $6.50
per head they are trying to get a comp organised for 27- 10 -02
no clubs have responded
you cant fish without being in a club
or you can take part in club comps
it is strickly catch and release
someone may be interested in
organising somthing
call 47306790 fax 47306789

fatman
11-09-2002, 07:20 AM
Hi,
Why would people pay to catch bass there when across the road they can go and fish the Nepean river for free ?
And why should people pay, the sand miners stripped the shit outta the place, the left nothing between the riverbank and the road exept a hole that is 100 ft deep, 300 yards wide and god knows how many kilometres long. The only reason for the Penrith lakes project is the council and the miners had no idea of what to fill the huge hole with, I guess water was the cheapest.
Between the sand monkeys and the cement works, they have removed all access to the river for a good 10 or 20 Kms of prime bass fishing areas.
And after they pump all that water (probably from the river) , I for one hope the banks fail and the lakes drain back into the river, fish and all.
FATMAN

chrisjon65
11-09-2002, 09:00 AM
:)i agree with everything you said but what is done is done .
my concern is that this project has gone ahead anyway and after talking
to some people my impressions are that when finished , the rowers are looked after ,the water ski yahoos
are looked after the yachties are looked after ,the weekend barbie mob are looked after but f#$@# the fishos
wild bass numbers arent what they used to be in this part of the river
and i think stocked areas are more benificial for wild bass survival
in this area anyway
its just an opinion thats all and i want my son to catch bass 5 min
from home and not have to travel
3,4,5,6,12 hours interstate where
inpoundments have some of this countries best bass
and pisses me off is that 700hectares of freshwater full of bass and i cant fish it without there being a club
organised day
and guess what we let it happen
by complaining instead of asking questions
ps seeya on the mighty nepean
its all we got for now

bassmansrc
18-09-2002, 08:26 AM
Hi guys.

I too am from Penrith & have been lucky enough to fish the rowing lake. The fish are not that big only going 20-25 cms. We fished there 3 times last year which was great. What we would do is have a look on the weekends if there was a fishing club fishing we'd grab our gear & race down to the White water rafting area & walk in. Fish while the club was fishing & leave when the club left. This way we were never questioned. The place is chockers full of fish on each of our 3 days between my mate & I we caught over 60 fish each time.

Thing is you take the risk to fish it. If you get caught your gear gets taken and a fine imposed. Anyway the river has bigger bass which fight much harder so why not spend the time chasing wild bass. The novelty of the lake has worn off for now but when it opens to the public in 8 years & the bass have grown up I'll give it another go.

If you want to try it I have shown you how....Jusrt wait for a fishing club to be on the lake.

Regards
Steve
PS. I only ever practice catch & release which is the same restriction imposed on the fishing clubs to fish this lake. They never take a bass away from the lake so why would they need to pay $6.50. The dam won't need to be restocked so where does that money go to?