PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing place

DJ
26-08-2002, 05:24 AM
I was wondering what would be the best fresh water fishing spot?
Regards D.J
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm11.gif

fishy_phil
27-08-2002, 04:42 PM
gday
were abouts are you near??
help if we can!!
phil

dazparra
04-09-2002, 06:44 AM
I don't think that you are going to get many replies (at least not honest ones).
I have found the freshwater fraternity to be a secretive and unhelpful lot, very unlike the salties, or the NSW freshies.
The best freshwater spot I know of is river in Carroll NSW. The nearest decent spot I have found is Leslie Dam at Warwick. This dam kicks arse on borumba, moogerah, maroon, samsonvale, kurwongbah, or any others I have yet been too.
I have heard great reports of Cressbook Dam and the Cania was once great. I think cania is dead and buried now, but am not sure of the current conditions up there?

forha
14-11-2002, 04:53 AM
The best place I know is Lake Purrumbete in Western Victoria for Brown/Rainbow Trout

swano
14-11-2002, 06:18 AM
DJ you could get dad to pack up the wagon , and head straight to lake proserpine(peter faust dam) approx 120 ks north of mackay,but you may have to put a game chair in the tinny as you are only 12 years old and these things would pull you clean out if you weren't strapped in .but since you live in brisvegas dad might take you to one of the many impoundments within easy reach of you in a half day (maroon dam near boonah is goin orf iv'e heard) and won't cost an arm and a leg to have some fun best of luck champ P/S tell all your school friends about this wonderfull site

Randall
14-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Whats this freshies being a protective lot???

I have found entirely the opposite. Different stokes for different folks I guess.

DJ...if you are in Brisvegus, try the upper reaches of the Brissy river. There`s plenty of access places where you can fish from the bank. You`ll get Bass, bellies and catties.

Swano`s also spot on...Marron is another option for smaller Bass and Bellies. Probably best out of a boat in any impoundment though.

If its the fresh your going to, remember that a lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes by stocking groups to put these fish in here so put em back so you can catch em again on another day. Freshwater fish taste bad anyway!!

Good luck.
Randall

craigie
14-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Guy's,

The hottest Dam in South East Queensland at the moment is Bjelke-Petersen Dam out near Murgon.

The resident Bass and Golden perch are climbing all over medium and deep diving lures. Simply follow the old river bed that snakes It's way through the dam using your Sounder or Map or just keep an eye on others out on the Dam. Look for water between 9 and 14 metres deep and troll lures that swim between 4 and 8 metres.

There are plenty of Novice 'Freshies' that the 'Lure Bug' has bitten due to the high quality fishing available right now at Bjelke-Petersen Dam !!!

I'm heading out there Friday Arvo for the weekend, see you on the water.

Cheers,
Craig.

Simon
14-11-2002, 09:05 AM
DJ,

Contrary to the beliefs of a few, I don't think there is one best spot in the fresh in the SEQ region as all the dams and rivers fish differently at any one time and respond differently to different fishing methods, let alone during the year as the seasons change. As an example Maroon is a great surface and cast and retrieve dam but I think it lousy to troll unless full. For your Best alround dam I think Hinze is the go but I'm not sure how its fairing at the moment with the low water levels. Ultimately we have so many dams at our disposal its hard to know. that said I have alot of fun fishing a small creek just round the corner from my house and in the last three trips recently have caught bass bream and tarpon all from the same snag, but not at the same time.

Cheers

Simon.

lordy
14-11-2002, 09:20 AM
Simon, Maroon has been trolling well lately. A few weeks back, we really struggled on spinnerbaits, soft plastics and anything else cast and retrieved the other day. We brained them trolling, almost to easy 10 fish an hour per person at times.

aussiebasser
14-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Maroon, Moogerah, Somerset, Wivenhoe, Cressbrook, Cooby, MacDonald, Boondooma, Borumba, Bjelke-Petersen, Hinze, Cania, Proserpine, Baroon Pocket, Lenthalls, Brisbane River, Noosa River, Robina, Clarrie Hall .......................................
So many places, so little time. :(

Fitzy
14-11-2002, 04:32 PM
While everyone is on SEQ lakes I'll throw my 2 bob in.
IMHO for the best freshwater location in SEQ Big W is the standout location for both numbers & size. Cricket score captures of bass are common for those in the know & the average size is pretty damn good too.
Has to be one of the best big bass locations going.

Fitzy..

BOMBER
15-11-2002, 03:37 AM
Hey DJ,

I would be one of the worst freshwater fisho's about but have been on many a trip with Randall and Fitzy and the Aussiebasser at the dams mentioned and have always caught a few, Borumba is close to me an hour always done well here for Saratoga,Maroon have caught quite a few Bass here cast and retrieve and troll, Somerset caught plenty here all on the troll and believe me if I can catch them they are either starving or there are heaps of them so give these few a go.

Simon
15-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Simon, Maroon has been trolling well lately. A few weeks back, we really struggled on spinnerbaits, soft plastics and anything else cast and retrieved the other day. We brained them trolling, almost to easy 10 fish an hour per person at times.

Lordy,

excellent, I've always found it hard to troll around and find fish whilst avoiding the weed.

Looks like I'll have to move it up my list and troll a bit better/smarter. but it helps prove a point that on any of these dams if you can find what the fish want you'll catch'em

never did like trolling much

Cheers

Simon

rattler
17-11-2002, 04:45 AM
I Fished maroon last saturday morning trolled for 4 hours for 46 bass from 15cm rats to 40 cm only used 1 lure a purple poltergeist didn't have time to rig a second rod ;D :D :) so this week maroon is my best fishing place rattler

mick
17-11-2002, 05:41 AM
I think cania is dead and buried now,

not at all you just have to know when and where it fires. not long ago we caught about 12 bass in under an hour. then after they stop firing we couldnt get a hit. saratoga also do the same. the fish are there, you just have to get to know the area. # and yes i am very secrective about my spots. in callide dam i had a great little barra hole. i took a mate. he took his mates, his mates took his mates and so on. #

mick

Brian
20-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Well i'm all for Boondooma Dam just finished a comp there and 71 anglers caught and released some 2400 fish for there efforts.

But hey every dam has its moments so just go out and enjoy your fishing.

Brian