PDA

View Full Version : fresh water eels

gruntahunter
23-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Hi guys and girls.
Could anyone tell me where would be the closest location to Brisbane that I could catch a fresh water eel.
Y i ask is that I remember a long long time ago that I got one and we skinned it then cut it into segments, coated it in seasoned cornflake crumbs and deep fried it.
It was simply magnificent and I need to taste it again.
thanks

SteveCan
26-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Hi Grunta,

I haven't ever targeted an eel but I can Guarantee you that there are lots of them in Enoggera creek - and just about every other creek in brissie that is half clean will have them too.

I grew up in the Gap and spent a lot of my spare time down the creek. Enoggera creek has eels, cat fish and (depending on how good the season) Lungfish too. We used to hand feed eels up to 5 feet long - they loved bacon rinds more than anything else we tried.

I would be surprised if the creek is in good nick after such a long dry spell though, maybe after christmas when some rain has cleared the watercourses a bit the conditions will improve. Good luck mate - let me know if you get one.

Cheers
Steve.

Fitzy
26-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Go to Moogerah Dam, Atkinsons Dam or Lake Manchester for all you can catch. Stacks of em there.

Just about any local creek should have some in there.

Fitzy..

scottrulez
17-03-2008, 05:07 PM
can anyone tell me any where close to south australia where i can catch me some eels

my family used to own some land in nsw and we had six dams full of em and we caught like hundreds of em

but then we moved to south aussie again and now i dont know where to catch em

tunaticer
17-03-2008, 05:40 PM
The south pine river near eatons hill should be full of them still.
Failing that Humpybong Creek behind Woolworths at Redcliffe is definitely choccas with Freshies.

Jack.