PDA

View Full Version : Cooby Dam

joe
09-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Hi to everybody in the group,
I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with bank fishing on Cooby Dam. Any tips on times, baits ,ect.Thanks in advance for the advice.
Good fishing Joe.

Chris_J
09-12-2002, 08:52 AM
Hey joe, ;D

Well i fish Cooby at least 3 times a week, from a boat mostly.

Back in the days when my friends and i use to walk the banks we mainly fished the steep rocky bank towards the end of the fishable area.(the is a sign on the bridge to marks the end of the area you are allowed to fish)

We mainly fish lures but when i have fished with someone who uses bait they have always fished live shrimp or yabbys.

As for times late afternoons seem to be the best. . .especially around the full moon for cod. . .the 19th ;)

If u ever see a tinny with a Minn Kota Maxxum on the front and a guy throwing spinnerbaits well that will be me ;D ;D

Hope this helps :-/

Chris

Lachie1
13-12-2002, 06:59 AM
G'day mate - not that i do a huge amount of fishing in cooby and cressbrook but i live in toowoomba and when i do go fishing there i usually use shrimps as they are the go for yellas and sometimes silvers a nd ive seen the odd cod on shrimp. Lures can be hit and miss off the bank but like chris said spinner baits are good, I also find an oar-gee in black and white stripes to be good also. Late arvo is definatley best.

Cheers, Lachie

Chris_J
13-12-2002, 02:49 PM
G'day fellas

Just a little hint: thursday 19th ;) ;)
I reckon the go is a week or so after rain and with that about the same time as the full moon. . .it COULD be the recipe for awesome fishin.

I spent the arvo out there on tuesday in the rain. . .had a great session off the banks(forgot to take the battery for the electric :-[) with spinnerbaits. . .we got three cod to 15lb and a heap of yellas. . .all on purple or purple/black spinnerbaits. ;D ;D

It was the first time on of my mates had fished spinnerbaits and he had a ball. . .very simple techqunie. . .cast it out, let it sink for a while, then wind it in slowly. . .to easy

Cheers

Chris

P.S i high recommend the uses of stinger hooks on all spinnerbaits

Lachie1
14-12-2002, 06:11 AM
Yeah i wish i was gunna be here on thursday but i will be up in noosa fishin the river :D ;D :D. The stinger hooks will definately increase your hookup rate to only caught bout 10 fish on spinner baits and all but 1 were on the stinger hook 8), good luck on thursday chris.

Cheers, Lachie

bugman
14-12-2002, 07:40 AM
Guys, whereabouts and what sort of stinger hook do you attach.

Maybe this is the reason for my low success rate with spinner baits.

Bugman

Chris_J
14-12-2002, 10:54 AM
I use Gamakatsu Siwash(sp) hooks. . .the are a fly hook. . .the reason for using these is that they have a large eye so you can easily get them over the other hook. . .you just slip it on, then put a small square of plastic over to kepp in on(a cut up milk bottle is what i use). Some use glow beads or the like but i find that this is to stiff and doesn't return to where it should be very easily.

Cheers

Chris

sav
14-12-2002, 04:59 PM
Chris
Thanks for the tip on stinger hooks attached to spinner baits. I've been mucking around with side cutters etc to try and split small hooks eyes. I'm off to the tackle shop tomorrow to buy some of the fly hooks you mentioned.
Sav

bugman
17-12-2002, 06:31 AM
Chris,

Thanks for the info on stinger hooks. I'll make one up for my next fresh outing. Maybe the freshwater Ausfishh M&G.

Bugman