PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Good Eating

Robbie_Mac
13-12-2002, 06:20 AM
I was just wonderingif freshwater fish tastes good. I have heard silvcer perch is bony, and golden perch are oily. I was just wondering how to prepare a freshwater fish, and which is the best to eat?

Cheers, Robbie

Lachie1
13-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Mate i've cooked cod in the camp oven and its tasted great with a few herbs a bit of wine etc. Also it tastes good in flour and fried. When we get silver perch they taste good crumbed and deep fried. I haven't come across a really bony one yet but it could depend on where you fish. Generally speaking freshwater fish get a muddy taste as they get older especially cod and yellas, the yellas can also get very fatty when they get bigger. Its better to keep the smaller legal fish and let the BIG old ones go.

Cheers, Lachie

Daniel_Folley
13-12-2002, 07:41 AM
i have also heard that types of catfish are quite nice if you prepare them correctly.ive also tried smoked cod which was very nice.but i think yellowbelly are a bit too oily.

swano
13-12-2002, 03:54 PM
robbie-mac , mate the only way to judge the taste is to catch a river cod,cattie,yella and i won't say silver perch because they are protected in nsw, and cook them in egg and bread crumbs quick(too many people cook the goodness out of them. i can safely say that my family will eat a fresh yella before a salt barra(no shite) the impoundment fish are in my opinion a catch and release option only because these are the ones that get the "OILY, MUDDIE TASTE" . it's like a bloke that sits at home and watches fishing programs all day and the bloke that gets out and busts his hump working and geting bait. the second bloke is a much finer human(ehh fellas) but living in brissy you might have to travel a ways to experience this yourself

Lachie1
14-12-2002, 06:19 AM
Yeah i spose i would have agree with you about the impoundment fish getting the oily, muddy taste cos i have caught good yellas and cod in the warrego river and they have been tops compared to smaller or simmaler sized fish that i got in the local dams which at times have tasted oily and a bit muddy, but not always ??? ???

Cheers, Lachie

sav
14-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Robbie
A 40 to 45cm yellowbelly from any clear dam can taste like something from the deep ocean.
Just fillet the fish. Skin the fillet (very important), cut out the rib bones etc,
Then dip in an egg mix, and then in to slightly (rock) salted crumbs. Fry in medium hot oil - a few minutes each side depending on thickness of fillet.
My crew think I am serving up pearl perch.
The old yella can hold its own against any sea fareing fish.
Regards
Sav

Daniel_Folley
28-12-2002, 06:23 PM
hi i ate some redfin for dinner tonight one of the nicest fish ive ever tasted.

BOMBER
30-12-2002, 07:35 PM
SAV,

TURN IT UP that mountain air has finally done it yella and seafareing and you still have too much of the WEST INYA give me a nice piece of Red Throat Emperor anyday.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Graham_N_Roberts
08-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Robbie, it's in the prep mate. Look after your catch (bleed them early and onto the ice or pan) Yellas are as good as any barra I've eaten.

Try sleepy cod if ya can catch 'em. They're great mate. ;D

Paul_C
13-01-2003, 03:08 PM
I've been taking a few yella's from Somerset dam in recent times for my retired neighbors, it's all in the filleting, you MUST get all of the fat off the fillets, it's easy to see its quite white and mostly around the rib cage and there is a thin strip that runs right up the back bone. If you don't remove it, it turns into a jelly like substance and it tastes hideous. If you get rid of it, they taste just as good as any other piece of fresh fish.

Regards
Paul Cade

aquarius
14-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Robbie_Mac.....Mate i reakon the best eating fresh water fish is the Australian Bass cooked in a beer batter.....just be sure you use a top beer....Its a bit like a good wine.....don't cook with a cheap one and expect the meal to taste great.
Cheers Brent
ps would rather release them all but its good to have a feed now and then!! :D

DeeGee
15-01-2003, 07:32 AM
I'm with Paul on this one, and it applies to bass as well as Yellows.
You must get rid of all the fat by cutting off the belly flaps and the rib cage, and the other small patch just behind/below the dorsal fin. Remove these and it really improves the taste.