View Full Version : shrimp

shrimpy
18-01-2002, 09:06 AM
whats the best bait for shrimp???

Slates
18-01-2002, 10:36 AM
G'day shrimpy.
There are a few good baits for shrimp.
For freshwater shimp, I've had most success using either a fatty offcut from a barbie chop, bacon, liver and/or a few gumleaves.

For salty shrimp, either some bread soaked in tuna oil, fish frames or liver again.

You can buy a cheap aerator for about $10 at most fishing tackle outlets that will keep shrimp alive in your bucket whilst fishing, but for long periods, it's best to keep them in a fishtank.

Cheers, Slates

Fisherman02
25-01-2002, 04:27 PM
hi im actually prawn fishing in the brisbane river what sort of bait should i be using and what sort of time?

leggo
20-04-2002, 01:30 PM
the best bait for shrimp i would have to say kangaroo meat or normal meat will do .go to your local bucher for left over meat dont cook it put it in the trap raw.hope this helps

Rumpig
23-08-2002, 12:50 PM
??? ??? You can trap salt water prawns?? ??? ???

Please explain!! ;)

DUMB QUESTION:
Also would a mesh trap (like a saltwater baitfish trap) be effective in the trapping of freshwater shrimps?

I have found the sbest bait for trapping shrimps is a dead carp ;D ;D We got two shrimps in 3 days using steak, bacon and sangas then we finally caught a carp (on one of the shrimp) and put it in the trap, a couple of hours later we had heaps of shrimps!!

Mick

Bribie_Doug
24-08-2002, 07:27 PM
Howdi shrimpy
If you get stuck with out any biat for your traps, try soap it really does work. But the best bait that I have ever used is the left overs from a baked or bbq chook.Freeze it and than take with you on the next trip.
cheers Doug 8)

Harrya
26-08-2002, 02:58 AM
Hi Shrimp

Harrya
26-08-2002, 03:06 AM
Hi Shrimpy I have tryed Raw Mullet fillets,Fish frams & heads, raw pork mince,
Raw peeled Potato,Dry Cat food,and have had success with all of them . At some time in freash water if the shrimp are there to be caught! good luck Harrya

Toddy
26-08-2002, 05:14 AM
As Bribie Doug said soap is as good as anything.
When nothing else is available you can use gum leaves.
Cheers,
Toddy

rattler
26-08-2002, 03:41 PM
hi shrimpy the best bait is yellowbelly scraps

dazparra
04-09-2002, 06:47 AM
For the chap who uses dead carp as bait for shrimp............

ISN'T THAT ILLEGAL?

I THINK SO!

bassmansrc
04-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Is it illegal? I don't think so. Atleast not in NSW. You just can't use fish including carp as a Live bait in NSW freshwater.

Rumpig
11-09-2002, 08:47 AM
I THINK NOT DAZPARRA!!!

As Bassmansrc said it is only illigal to use them as livebait or to release them back into the river live and trust me THEY WEREN'T STILL MOVING!!!

Mick

dazparra
11-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Rumpig & Bassmansrc!

Sorry guys....... i hate to tell you, but.......

THIS IS ILLEGAL! ???

I quote here from the Queensland Government Primary Industries Fishing in Queensland Book, Second Edition page 17, information on noxious species (which carp is)....

Quote " Carp are a listed noxious species in Queensland. This means it is unlawful to possess live carp or use them as bait, ALIVE or DEAD!"

Stop using them....... ???

Hope this helps........... lol

Rumpig
11-09-2002, 03:10 PM
Oh yeah, and what does it say about NSW and Vic ???
Banana benders do some funny things at times (like supporting the reds and maroons ;))

That law is obviously to stop people from carting carp around the place to use as bait JUST IN CASE!

Mick

dazparra
11-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Yes, supporting the maroons would be a crime indeed. Luckily for me, i am from NSW, Tamworth and support the Blues....except for Andrew Johns (who I hope gets a nasty case of herpes..... bloody prick....costing Parra their deserved Grand Final last year...)

I suppose it is time for some national fisheries laws huh? I know would make things a lot easier.... is a pain in the arse when i go back home and am not sure of the difference in basic rules.......

Surely it would be easier to have national rules on such things as noxious fish? I understand national bag limits and some other areas would not really work due to differences in fish habitats and growth in different areas, but surely a noxious fish (carp and tilapia) is a noxious fish no matter where it is found?

bassmansrc
18-09-2002, 08:39 AM
Dazzparra,

Unfortunately here in NSW Carp are not declared a noxious species. yes that is a fact. The reason:- some laws do not allow carp to be used commercially if they are declared noxious so companies such as Charlie Carp could not operate if they were noxious. Fisheries have called them an udesireable species but have stopped short of calling them noxious.

Any way in NSW carp are not noxious. They can legally be returned to the water dead or alive with out any risk of prosecution. This is all fact. The only thing that can't happen in Freshwater is the use of a live fish for bait, this means any species of fish carp, mullet, herring, Galaxia, Gudgeon etc... no fish can be used as a live bait in NSW freshwaters.

Further you are not allowed to translocate any species from one waterway to another alive.

Carp can be used as bait in NSW. So Sorry you are wrong it is not illegal.

Regards
Steve

PS please let's not talk about football as I am a Mad Doggies supporter & we all know they have been robbed of the premiership this year so that Brisbane or Roosters or Newcastle or StGeorge who are all over the salary cap can have a go at winning the comp.

All I can say is go New Zealand Warriors. I reckon they are the only team left under the salary cap. Only them & Canberra were under & may be the sharks, but they are border line paying $400,000 a season for Kimmorley.

Rumpig
30-09-2002, 09:03 PM
Thankyou Steve!!!!!!!!

GO THE ROOSTERS!!!!!!!!

Mick

Bob_Marly
03-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Ah, since when does dead carp swim out of a mesh trap ???

jewies
03-06-2003, 12:29 PM
I've caught 6 prawns in the brisbane river using whole mullet

fishy_phil
05-06-2003, 12:16 PM
hhhhhmm
actually they are declared noxious they are declared class 1 noxious species...meaning they are noxious but are not required to be destroyed.
straight from the NSW fisheries website, but tilapia are level 3 and have a strategy to elimenate new outbreaks but no required destruction of carp...makes no sence to me. but even tilapia can legally be sold. so why arent they declared at the same level??? ??? ??? carp and tilapia are both major environmentally damaging and can both easily be controlled...its called FISHOUT DAYS!!!! have a $2 entry fee and once there is a substantial number of entrants have a 50% of entry fee prize and then split up the costs and then use the profits to further erradication programs eg genetic controlling methods. also have other prizes or even have sponsors! there are plenty of options. there is one thing that fisheries ministers lack...common sence!!! for example tilapia cant be kept for the plate in QLD...why not have professional line fishos target them and make use of them and have it so recreational fishos can keep them for the plate and have minimum distances they can be cleaned etc. so that instead of letting them grow in numbers by effectively protecting them as peolpe wont target them if you cant keep them. have them harveted! get the makers of charlie carp to expand into TONY TILAPIA, how about it!!! or even have them used for processed fishsticks or the like, as they are good on the plate. how about it mr minister.
phil

-Henno-
02-08-2003, 03:48 PM
I fished Hinze Dam on Tuesday and set my collapsible bait trap with some pillies heads and chicken frames and all it got me was a heap of baby bass!

I watched Starlo and Bushy on Hinze with a guide a few weeks back and the guide got a heap of them in exactly the same kind of trap. Any ideas what I did wrong? Is there a good place in the east arm of Hinze that anybody knows of? I usually put my kayak in at the water tower.

I have also tried soap for the salt water ones that I know are in the Tallebudgera creek (cause I could see them walking aroung the rocks) and got not one. I am considering setting fire to my bait trap!

murrayscod
02-08-2003, 06:15 PM
most of the stuff mentioned will work well.
believe it or not marinated pork ribs (don't ask) are the best bait i've used!! they'd been defrosted by the way no good to eat!1

murrayscod
02-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Quote: and all it got me was a heap of baby bass!

don't know if what you caught would have been baby bass i tried the same a few years back at hinze and caught heaps of fish that look like bass but are banded grunters..

-Henno-
04-08-2003, 12:04 PM
maybe they were banded grunters. One of them had a red tail. One was white with little grey spots.

murrayscod
04-08-2003, 04:04 PM
was the white one a spangled perch maybe..

Graham_N_Roberts
05-08-2003, 12:50 PM
:o SOAP? may the stuff get caught in ya water intakes. Crikey guys, here we are in an era where water polution is one of our main concerns for fishery degredation, and some ........... people put ruddy soap in bait traps. I'd better :-X :-X :-X before I say something I'd regret. :-/ :-/