PDA

View Full Version : worms

Paul_Nash
22-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi,
Don't know if this has been disscused before on this site, but I'm interesested in getting info on worm farming for fishing.
There is lots of info on the net about worms for making compost, but not much about breeding them for bait.
Not that I could find anyway.
I'm interested in getting back into freshwater fishing....... love catching Redfin ..... and worms were the best bait going many years ago.....I don't think much would have changed.
We used to use Flat Tails, can anyone give me some info on breeding these ????
Good Fishing.
Paul

goodoo
22-01-2004, 05:25 PM
hi paul have been breeding worms for sometime and found compost worms [like you get from k-mart or garden shops]to be small and sloppy i have also heard that fish dont like them much because they taste sour this i dont know as i have never tried them african night crawlers breed well if you can find them i have bred hundreds of thousands using cow crap for bedding but soak it and let it drain afew times to leech out any vermacide the cockies may have used on their stock as it will killem [its expensive at around 10 c each ]start feeding them on boiled pumpkin this will help get numbers up quickly when youv got afew start up some new boxes polystirene is best a sit insulates them from extremes of temp tape some fly screen over thetop because they like to nick off in damp weather cut some old carpet and lay ontop of the bedding material and food goes under it maintain the carpet damp not soaked keep them out of strong cold or heat if you can keep them in a climate that is comfortable to u they will go well i willalso find a site on vermaculture as there is a feeding program to fatten sweeten and toughen them if you could start tomorrow using them this summer is highly unlikely look after them through winter and you should have plenty for next year will post more info soon . tight lines GOODOO

Paul_Nash
25-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info Goodoo ;D ;D
I have bought one of those purpose made worm farms from Bunnings..... the ultra deluxe, super dooper model..... better do the job it cost $85.00 :o :o
I have gathered quite a few Flat tails {worms that is} from the garden and put em in their new home, just wondering if they will breed as fast as the African ones.
I was tempted to buy the compost variety but was a bit sceptical, thanks for the tip off about them being crap bait.
Paul N