PDA

View Full Version : Question for Fitzy

basserman
05-02-2004, 07:00 PM
i know your a real pro when it comes to targeting bas at night so i was wondering if you could give me someplaces in a river to keep a eye out for and target them there
i have fished for them at night but manily around man made stuff i want to get into there envoroment and try around the snag but would like to hear you idears!

any help at all is proble going to help me [smiley=hammer.gif]thanks

Fitzy
05-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Basserman,
Mate what general area are you in?
I'm probably lucky enough to have spent (mis-spent) a fair chunk of my childhood walking the local creeks & rivers fishing & catching snakes etc so I got an idea on the best looking spots.
I always look for shade on the water during the day, but at night I think they will go actively hunting & will come right into shallow water. I dont like alot of moonlight on the water at night, so around the full moon I go back to those shady spots to fish.
Seriously. If there's bass in you local waterways, you'd be amazed at where you get them. Can get them right at popular fishing/swimming spots in the middle of suburbia. But it is better to get away from the crowds & heavily fished spots. The fish generally aren't as spooky & fairly uneducated the more remote you get. The only way to know for sure if they're there is to go give them a shot. The size of the water doesn't dictate the size of the fish either. I've got 55cm bass (around 3kg) in Bundamba Creek here in the middle of Ipswich & my PB is a 59 from the Upper Brisbane River (escapee from Big W).

Lures. I prefer bloopers over the other surface lures most of the time, but still revert back to other types if I'm not hooking up or getting strikes. Favourite lures would be Rapala Skitterpop, Prince Bloopers (get them for $5 in tackle store dump bins), Bubblepops in 45 & 65mm & there's a good Surecatch blooper thats cheep, casts a mile & works well. Had a mate recently getting heaps in a gold coast creek recently & was doing that well he tied a treble onto the end of a stick, cast it out & got nailed.

Bass aren't hard to get, the main thing is to get "something in their face". Probably one of the dumbest fish going at times. Had the same fish miss a strike & come back for another go upto a dozen times before hooking up. If I can get a few, I'm sure you can too.
Give it a go mate & let us know how you went.

Hope some of that helps,

Fitzy..

basserman
05-02-2004, 07:49 PM
will try that fitzy
i have caught plenty of fish in the river i'm going to fish (buladhala) some at night under the lights and pleanty on the snags as you said in the shade throught the day but i'm wanting as you said to get away from all that and try the upper reachs at night
so you say the shallows are good at night when it is dark
and i might rumage throught the tackle shops bargin bin for those sure catch and prince bloppers
well i will try and get some good pics for you
and thanks for the info it will be put to good use and as always then put back! ;D

jewies
06-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Bundamba creek :o What else do u get in there

basserman
06-02-2004, 02:15 PM
nah buladehla in nsw umm its (well really nothing there )
is near the great lakes area just up from newcastle
get bass bream blackies mullet flatties (all the nomale fishies)
:)

Fitzy
06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Bundamba creek :o What else do u get in there
Got alot of jewfish (tandanus tandanus), pink eye/yellow eye mullet, eels, tortoises & spangled perch.
Once saw a kid run up from under the Blackstone Bridge with a good sized yellowbelly. Would have been 6 or 8 pound so there's the odd one of them in there too.
Saw platypus' in there as a kid but havent seen one for a long long time.

fitzy..