PDA

View Full Version : fish dying in macintyre

billy7
28-02-2004, 05:04 AM
even with the rain we have recieved it is not enough to stop the fish dying in the macintrye river. the river is full of blue green algae causing cod, yellowbelly catfish and even english carp to die the combination of hot weather and low water levels spell disaster for or native fish.
billy

caveman
28-02-2004, 03:13 PM
where abouts billy, its a sad thing to see when we see the fish dying like this

cheers gary

Jeremy87
28-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Look on the bright side, anything that kills carp has gotta make you happy. Shame about the other fish though

caveman
28-02-2004, 06:44 PM
give me a better fighting fish(freshwater) then the carp then i will feel happy about them dying, i dont believe anything should die just for the sake of it, its just a pitty they cant find a better way to harvest them eh

billy7
29-02-2004, 04:57 AM
the carp that are dead are not european carp they are the native carp they dont cause any problems.the macintyre runs through inverell nsw.
billy

sav
29-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Billy
Doubt they are native carp. Which stretch of the macintrye river you talking about. Assume it is the same river that runs through Inglewood and Goondiwindi. Plent of EC in there but reducing and I reckon its a result of the fantastic efforts of the restocking groups along the mac.
Regards
Sav

billy7
01-03-2004, 01:09 PM
the european carp cant get above the macintrye falls leaving or stretch of river european carp free

goodoo
01-03-2004, 06:05 PM
a good way to get rid of carp was don down the M.I.A about 20 years ago they stocked irragation channels with murray cod about 300 long as the carp bred the cod were eating crap fingerlings the larger older breeding crap eventualy died out fingerling crap were eaten out and thus reducing the pest problem to nothing thecod grew quite large very quickly because of the abundant food source on the up side even furthure many large cod were stocked into various waters due to relocation from the irrigation chanels unfortunately after this sucessful trial stockings to control carp this way have not been carried out weather it may not be financily viable is unknown but these days that is normaly the case if this was to happen the size and number of cod would be unbelievable to someone of this generation :GOODOO

jewies
02-03-2004, 02:08 PM
anyone ever been to jerilderie in nsw. We were walking around the creek bed when i trip on a rock and dropped my sandwhich when all of a suddeen a huge carp came up from the depths followed by some farely large one sand smaller ones to eat my sandwhich. carp was probably 3 or 4 kilos 60 to 70cms pretty amazing thing to see we were going to get our fishing rodas out of the car when we discovered there was no fishing in the park and had no time to walk further up the creek.
My opinion Freshwater eels fight better than carp you may disagree but thats my opinion.

goodoo
04-03-2004, 03:44 PM
SAV the river that runs through INGLEWOOD is the macintire brook at inglewood it is aprox 70 odd Ks from the river :GOODOO