PDA

View Full Version : Borumba Dam

bay_firey
26-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Heading down to Borumba for the week after Easter.
Have never done much freshwater stuff and have never been to Borumba.
Any tips/tricks secrets would be greatly appreciated

Randall
27-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Firey, theres heaps of Saratogo in Borumba and with the recent rains the dam level is back up to 100%.

Its a tough dam to fish but here are a few tips for you.

Forget trolling....cast 1/4 oz spinnerbaits to grassy edges and overhanging Grevillias. Use a slower retrieve and stop every few seconds momentarily. White Spinnerbaits is the safe bet but I got a fair few recently using a soft plastic trailer in Chartruese.

You will be needing to use a 20lb leader as the Toga have toohy mouths and they can bite you off with lighter leaders.
Good luck.

Randall

Randall
27-03-2004, 04:14 AM

Randall
27-03-2004, 04:14 AM

Jeremy87
27-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Using baits (shrimp) under a float is also a productive method. Remember sharp hooks as they have very bony mouths. It is not uncommon to drop them, we were put onto chemically sharp big mouth hooks and they seemed to be succesful. You may also pick up bass and silver perch this way. If your after bass i have had a productive session trolling along 3-4 metres in the main body of water but if they're not biting this way move along and try other techniques. They have a nice row of pointy teeth so as Randall said don't use light line.
Jeremy

bay_firey
28-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks Randall , Jeremy
You say 20lb leader but what about th erest of the out fit ??\
Have a 7ft 2 - 4 kg graphite spin rig with 3 kg mono ??
Also have a brand new 7ft 2-4 kg spin rod for flicking plastics and lures that is still waiting for a reel and some line.
Braid ?? what strength ??

Randall
30-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Mark....I use a spin stick about 5 ft 6 in long with 8lb fireline and the 20lb leader for Borumba....also use a custom short-stroker baitcaster (5 ft) and a curado reel spooled up with 20lb Bionic Braid as well. This rod I use for accurate casts in up under the overhanging Grevillias.

RG

Mattman
30-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Nice togas there Randall
How big are they, how heavy did they go.
Congrats,
Matt

Randall
30-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Nice togas there Randall
How big are they, how heavy did they go.
Congrats,
Matt

Those ones in the photos were about 65cm.....dont know the weight though Mark.

Randall.