PDA

View Full Version : Info on copeton

robb0
17-03-2004, 10:35 AM
I'm thinking about headind up to copeton in the next couple of weeks,never fished there before so was wondering if someone could give me a few tips on the place.
thanx Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila
17-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Tim,
Heres a link to a bit of general info, not much I know.
http://www.luresonline.com.au/copeton.htm
Fitzy looks like he is getting ready to put some info up on his site, but not yet.
Haven't fished Copeton myself, but brother and father have and general comments were that there is quality fish when you get them, but a lot of water in between.
You might want to have a look at some of the smaller dams out that way. I've fished Pindari, and reckon its great.
Good Luck,
Cheers
Jeff
PS. Did you do your Northern NSW trip you were looking at on the coast?

basserman
17-03-2004, 01:11 PM
one thing you need to do is watch out carfuly as there is alot of unmaks prop smashing snags at the moment but with the water riseing ever so silghty it should be good :D

jimbamb
17-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Gday mate, Copeton is a big puddle even if it is only part full.There have been a lot of good Cod caught up river so is worth trying there.It is a fair hike but can be very rewarding.just go as far as ya can and look for snags etc.There have also been fish caught in closer areas so just watch where others are headin an try ya luck after their gone.There are also good yellas as well as catfish and redfin Good luck..PS. hope ya release some for others to follow.

scott_b
18-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Gday robbO.
Mate the fishing has been a bit slack for the last 5 to 6 weeks .I have heard of a few good yellas and one good cod caught other than that its been very quiet .I'm going away on saturday to sunday the 28/3 might know more after I get home and will be able to show around.
wamjam

Fitzy
18-03-2004, 09:16 PM
I've had a serious computer crash. Trying to salvage some files. When I'm back on deck I'll try to get a map up of the place & some pics, info etc for folks to use. Will one day learn to back-up a bit omre often.
Logged in using someone's computer for now.

Copeton is a great fishery. Alot of structure for fish & very scenic. Not the best when they're dumping water out for cotton irrigation tho. Facilities are great. Have caught fish from one end to the other there mainly using spinnerbaits these days, tho I've never nailed a horse from the place.
Rod Harrison, Mark (Wilbur) Williams & casting top gun Dave Hodge all landed some BIG cod there around Xmas. Try going to Harro's site www.harro.com.au & ask them for some pointers, they'd know alot more than I would.

Cheers,

Fitz..

robb0
19-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanx everyone for taking the time to answer my post

gorilla,
I didn't get to make the northcoast trip,got snowed under at work and couldn't get the time off.I'm definately going to try and get to minni sometime this year.

Basserman,
I had a look at copeton last year when it was 12% and I must agree there looked like a lot of prop smashing structure in the dam.

Jimbamb,
Have been fishing the sweet water for almost 20years 99.9% of what we catch goes back in.Sometimes we keep a couple of small fish for nibbles on the bbq.

Wamjam,
I'm looking forward to hearing how you go I'll pm you after the 28/3 for a rundown.

Fitzy,
I had a look at Harro's sight should be a beauty when it's all up and running,couldn't find a email address.Do you have to register to contact the sight??

Fitzy
20-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanx everyone for taking the time to answer my post

Fitzy,
# # # #I had a look at Harro's sight should be a beauty when it's all up and running,couldn't find a email address.Do you have to register to contact the sight??
Same deal as here, you need to register to post. Seems to keep most of the idiots away.
Have just finished an info page on Copeton if interested. http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Copeton.htm

Cheers,

fitz..

scott_b
20-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Fitzy you couldn't have said it better thats just how it is. This is what you have to put up with when the sun go's down.
wamjam

Fitzy
20-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Fitzy you couldn't have said it better thats just how it is. This is what you have to put up with when the sun go's down.
# # # # wamjam

Great pic mate! ;D

jimbamb
23-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Hey Robbo,
Good luck .make sure ya contact wamjam he fishes there a lot. Hope ya get a feed ,then some more, Its really a nice place to camp for a while

Burkey1
24-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Fitzy
Just read your write up on Copeton. Nice job mate. I used to fish it a bit a few years ago when living in the area, but Wamjam is the one to talk to now about whats going on there fishwise as he gets out as often as he can. Once again great article, keep em coming.

Burkey :)

fishy_phil
25-03-2004, 05:23 PM
gday
i was up at copeton and pindari last week for 4 days and both dams have just risen by quite a large margin...copeton is up from 11% upto 24% also they both have large amounts of blue green algae but in a few weeks the algae should have died off a bit coz its on the way out already....and the fish that have been getting caught have been mostly cod in copeton...with a few good yellowbelly and the odd redfin and catfish but with that said in a few weeks time the fish should be coming on within the next few weeks...about easter time should be about rite...ill probably be out there for the easter fishing comp so have a look at the catches during this period in the past and you can see that the fish feed like crazy and put on a bit of condition before winter...
cheers
phil

robb0
26-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Phil
Thats great news can't wait to get up there might try and catch up with you at easter.If I maybe so bold which lures worked for you when you were there.

Fitzy
registered on Harro's site got some good tips from some very helpfull locals
Thanx again Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila
26-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Phil,
You didn't put any traps out for shrimp at Pindari did ya? We went there about this time last year with it only at about 11% and there was stuff all bait. Was wondering if it had come back with the water level back up again.
Cheers
Jeff

fishy_phil
30-03-2004, 04:18 PM
gday fellas...
in pindari not a shrimp to be seen but where i did see shrimps was in the severn river up stream of the dam where the road crosses it. but in pindari worms were the gun bait.
in copeton i got very little action but the fish i got were on boomerangs 85s(cod) and spinnerbaits(others). but there was alot of water between fish as i was restricted to the shore. but the fishos in da boats did much better. id like to met up with you this easter...if you have a spot in your boat i know a fella that would love to have a go ;). also in copeton when i was walkin round the edges i found 8 lures...one of which i caught the only cod on.
cheers anyway
phil

robb0
31-03-2004, 04:51 AM
Hey Phil
If I was taking my boat there'd be no problems about a spot on it, however my mates taking his boat(it's better than mine)and I'll have to talk to him first but I can't see a problem.I'm not quite sure when we will be fishing as we're taking the wives and its not supposed to be a full on fishing weekend (hah hah hah).
Tim

scott_b
10-04-2004, 04:22 AM
Hey robbO this is probably to late but give me a ring if you se this before you go 67231116
wamjam