PDA

View Full Version : Man to be prosecuted for illegal fish farming

nsw_fisheries
04-05-2004, 06:30 AM
http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/gen/news/fb_04may03_man_rock.htm

"This document has been posted for information and to encourage discussion among yourselves. For more information from NSW Fisheries on the issue, please visit our web site on www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au"

Fitzy
04-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Man to be prosecuted for illegal fish farming on Darling River
May 3, 2004
A 51-year-old man from the State’s far west will be prosecuted for farming fish without a licence on his property on the Darling River.

Acting Director-General of NSW Fisheries, Paul O’Connor, said the man has had a boat seized and is also facing charges for using illegal fishing gear.

“The man was being interviewed on his property regarding drum nets and fish traps when NSW Fisheries officers noticed two ponds covered in netting,” Mr O’Connor said.

“The ponds were stocked with up to 1600 golden perch and Murray cod that NSW Fisheries officers believe he was intending to sell at a later date.”

Mr O’Connor said landholders are allowed to keep fish in their farm dams for their own personal use. They are not, however, permitted to sell the fish without a licence.

“Illegal fishing and black market sales of fish in NSW threaten valuable fish stocks, undermine licensed commercial fishers and the regional economies they support, and endanger the health of those of us who love to eat seafood.

“Illegal fishers have no regard for the ongoing sustainability of NSW fisheries, nor for preserving the environmental values of our State.”

The fish in the two ponds have been quarantined pending the outcome of the prosecution.

Anyone with information about illegal fishing activity should contact their local NSW Fisheries office, or the Fishers Watch Line on 1800 043 536. All information received will be treated as confidential.

MEDIA INQUIRIES: Eric Aubert on (02) 8437 4948 or 0419 185 375.

caveman
04-05-2004, 12:23 PM
i've gotto say its amazing that a bloke farming fish can be prosecuted,at least someone was going to benifit from them,not that i agree with his methods, but they will overlook a few thousand killed by by chemical run off by saying it was lack of oxygen or natural causes :-X :-X :-X

cheers caveman

Hagar
04-05-2004, 03:44 PM
" Illegal fishing and black market sales of fish in NSW threaten valuable fish stocks, undermine licensed commercial fishers and the regional economies they support, and endanger the health of those of us who love to eat seafood.

“Illegal fishers have no regard for the ongoing sustainability of NSW fisheries, nor for preserving the environmental values of our State.”

I would like to know how this bloke was going to impact on the wild fish stocks with captive fish he obviously bought as fingerlings in large quantities . Instead of throwing the book at him maybe they should consider assisting him to legally enter the aquaculture market .

Chris

Big_Muddie
04-05-2004, 04:41 PM
I'm not so sure that it's clear that he "obviously bought as fingerlings in large quantities". I'm more inclined to think he could have used those drum nets and fish traps (which he was being interviewed about) to obtain the fish in an immature state and was "fattening them" in his ponds.

If that was the case, then he could have had a serious impact on wild fish stocks in the area he frequented - especially the Murray Cod.

All depends on how you choose to interpret the words. As with most press releases, the full and complete story is rarely told.

jockey
12-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Fish farming can cause a lot of problems. Just look at the problems of farming salmon in estuaries. This sort of thing should not be going on unregulated.

arthur
12-05-2004, 01:15 PM
could be for his own youce i would like a fish farm my self. :D