PDA

View Full Version : scents does this make sense

bevo
07-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Was reading a interesting artical by Kim Bain in Modern Fishing june 2004 issue regaurding scented hard bodied & rubber jig lures. While reading about this topic thinking to myself #??? what a great idea as you could produce dozens of different types of scents for all types of species from bass in freshwater right through to tailor of the beach and so on ,the sky is the limit. #What i was wondering , is this technique widely used , how effective and where can you get some of this product. As there is different styles of scents which come in the form of oil,paste and spraycan # [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] #cheers Buckets

Fitzy
07-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Scents add another dimention to plastic & fly fishing & to a lesser degree hard bods. I dont think it attracts fish that much in freshwater, but I think it might make them bite/hang on a bit harder, thus possibly improving the hook-up ratio.
Its all a confidence thing, if you believe it helps or think you need an edge, then it certainly cant hurt. Funny to see many folks just "keeping up with the Jones' ", they use it 'cause everyone else does & they might miss out on some miniscule advantage.
I dont use them very much tho. Tend to think the right lure, in the right place, at the right time is the most important thing.
Tho if nothing else, scents will help mask human smells.
There not much difference between using an imitation bait with imitation smell, could well just use a real prawn...

Most half decent tackle stores have catch scents of various names/brands available these days.

Fitz..

BlitzBaga
07-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Tho if nothing else, scents will help mask human smells.

I agree with Fitzy and when you look at some of the scents marketed like garlic dip, since when do fish in their natural habitat have a craving for garlic. I think masking the human smell is the hitting the nail on the head.

Cheers
Murray

basserman
08-05-2004, 10:45 AM
i agree with fitzy that most people use them just to keep up with everyone else
i hardly rarely use them i much prefure to think that i am fooling the fish into takeing something that is 100% artifical ;D

bevo
08-05-2004, 02:07 PM
thanks for the reply guys,i totaly agree with your thoughts i think people are putting to much emphasis into making fishing to easy which is why we have had to create fish stocking programs so our kids & their kids can have a productive fishing future, cause where would most of us be with out fishing, (down the pub) i sure know where i'd rather be.Like you say basserman, i reckon it's more sporting & fun trying stealth & fooling the fish and if i don't catch anything mate i had a damn good time trying ;D cheers buckets

arthur
25-05-2004, 06:12 AM
i refuse to pay $20 for little bottles of sent from tackle shops when tuner oil works just as good. Arthur.

ianjones
25-05-2004, 06:53 AM
i must say i do use scents to rub on my trebles to reduce hooks rusting and to mask the smell from my hands as iam a smoker and if a shark can smell one drop of blood per million parts of water there is no harm in trying,i have only used in saltwter for flathead and have caught upwards of 400 which most were released so it doesnt stop them from taking a lure or maybe iam fishing in a great place,in saying all of this ,when rolling another smoke it never tastes the best,rgards ian jones