PDA

View Full Version : Re:fishing for murray cod

ianjones
24-05-2004, 11:18 AM
wilst fishing for murray cod and using yabbies for bait,10kg rod,my rod bends without bells ringing only to get no fish and no yabbie,takes a bit to bend 10kg outfit but it bends quite far,can someone please enlighten me on what it could be,ty ian jones

caveman
24-05-2004, 03:16 PM
depends on where you are could be a turtle not sure how platypus pull when they take a bait, but a frend told me caught 1 in tassy on a lure and all it did was back up until the line snaped

ianjones
24-05-2004, 03:57 PM
ty very much gary for your reply,you may be right as i have caught a platapus in a yabbie trap here and they do like to eat yabbies ty bud

Bazza20
24-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Not sure were you are fishing but murray crays do that and i have landed heaps while fishing. They will try to take the bait back into there holes, most hold on for a little while but let go before you get them to the surface, the big ones can put a large bend in a heavy rod.

ianjones
25-05-2004, 06:36 AM
iam fishing the goldburn river bazza as it is only 30 seconds from my from yard at mccoys bridge wyuna,may have to swap rod for trap ty for your input bazza,ian jones

Bazza20
25-05-2004, 07:22 AM
That is the exact area that i was talking about ;D. there are a fair few crays around there and that would be my guess to what was happening, they start to get more active around this time of year. Many of times i have been excited thinking that i have had a good fish seeing the rod bend but have a cray hanging on the end.

If you go craying make sure you chech the rules because they are pretty strict and don't keep any with eggs or you could get massive fines, plus they need to be looked after because there numbers are reducing in many areas, although i do know some secret spots were they are nearly in plauge proportions and are bloody huge.

ianjones
25-05-2004, 10:35 AM
i wont be trying for crayfish bazza but what i will do is go to a patanoster rig to keep yabbie off the bottom,i got a 70 pound cod with this rig a lil back which i released after a photo,just rigged my two rods up and heading acrooss road soon to try my luck again ,ty bazza,you have been of great help to me,ian jones

Bazza20
25-05-2004, 12:07 PM
70lb good fish. last couple of months i have been getting only small cod up to 60cm and a few yellowbellyat 55cm. Whats been working for you in there, i have mainly been using lures because i was getting to many small fish on bait.

ianjones
25-05-2004, 12:51 PM
never tried a lure yet down here bazza ,i had great success with them wilst fishing in brisbane for flathead but most of my cod to tell truth have been on scrub worms and nathalia worms but there only up to 60 cm also the bigger cod on yabbies,but of have nailed some big yellowbelly up to 7 pounds on shrimp heads and worms on same hook,bazza i just got chased back home just then from big downpour wilst i was fishing and that place must be crawling with crayfish as lost four yabbies in four cast to rods bending

ianjones
25-05-2004, 12:54 PM
my email address bazza is dragontears@optusnet.com.au