PDA

View Full Version : Red claw info

Fruitbat
19-05-2004, 09:59 AM
I'm off to the Atherton Tablelands (from Cairns) in a little while and would love to catch some red Claw - any tips as to best bait, best spots, times to put in pots etc.

Any info would be greatly received.

Thanx in advance

Fruitbat

cHiCo
19-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Heard potatoes work, try to set ya pots away from heavy boat traffic and what not

Fruitbat
20-05-2004, 04:12 AM
Thanx Chico, I'll take your advice and see how I go. [smiley=angel.gif] [smiley=angel.gif]

budgebass
22-05-2004, 07:28 PM
I have a mate who was a local Atherton boy who reckons
that banana skins, rockmelons and paw paws work alright.

In the dams down here he uses a mixture of these fruits and mixes in fish scraps/pieces soaked in tuna oil.

He reckons they like to have alround diet...or a mixture of smells.... sound like rubbish to me but the trouble is ......it works!!!!!!!!!

Rosso
23-05-2004, 02:36 PM
This has been metioned quite a few times over the years. Look at the posts about a year ago or so.

But anyway, i have heard meat/fish/tuna/cat food/rockmelon etc are all good.

But i heard that potato is the best as the redclaw are the only ones who will enter the trap for it.

Cheers

Rosso.

robb0
30-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Hey Fruitbat
If your gunna use spuds make sure you boil'em first.
robbo

heaney
30-05-2004, 04:31 PM
pumkin seeds

Kev_McC
07-06-2004, 03:43 AM
We use ordinary dry dog biscuits and they work as well as anything, easy to handle etc. Make sure you put a small handful into a piece of stocking or other fine mesh, or the crays will just eat them and then leave. Leaving your traps in overnight on shallow (1-3m) banks with plenty of rocky or timber will give best results. They seem to move about a lot more during darkness, probably less predation from birds.
cheers