PDA

View Full Version : Where to find "Cod"

saen
04-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi all

Im interested in catching some cod, but ive never caught any so i wouldnt know much about catching them?

so any special methods, techniques?
and if anyone lnows of a spot to try for cod in the hunter area

much appreciated

Regards

JJ

robb0
06-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi Saen,
You won't find any naturally occurring cod in the hunter valley, glenbawn dam has a few which were illegally stocked years ago,I don't think it would be worth targeting them as their numbers are very small although some large cod have been caught in there over the years by anglers fishing for bass and yellas.I recently read a post on fishnet where a bloke reckons there's cod in glennies creek dam could be true but I've never heard of any being caught in there.Depending on which part of the hunter your in the closest dams where cod are stocked would have to be chaffey,keepit and splitrock to the west,windamere to the southwest.

Tim

ANYFISH
06-06-2004, 04:31 PM
you can get a few small ones up around inverell on lures or bait. i got my first one on a surface popper last trip.

robman
06-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Anyfish, that is great lookin' fish. Are you from Inverell or near bye? What surface lure were you using, I would love to have one take a surface lure I think it would cause me heart failure. Nut it would be almost worth it for the BUZZZZZZ.
Regards Robman

caveman
06-06-2004, 06:41 PM
i also took my first on a popper that is, last trip about 10 at nite on the full moon rock hopping flicking poppers into rock pools great stuff gonna give it a go next w/end again

bundymal
07-06-2004, 08:57 AM
hi sean

dont know anywhere in the hunter but tamworth not that far away a couple of spots their are split rock and keepit all about an hour from tamworth no point chasing them till the weather warms up

cheers mal

Stephan
09-06-2004, 05:05 PM
JJ,

Mate I know a number of good possies for cod but that information is not about to be sent across this forum. If you're keen for a cod you will have to wait until december. There's no point chasing them now and you will have to travel about 3 hours at least before you find good water for them.

The coming season will see me put more time into them again as I negleted them over the one just gone. If you are keen to tag along you are more than welcome, only thing is all fish go back and the spots are treated with the utmost respect.

Cheers
Stephan

Dino
09-06-2004, 05:26 PM
May as well go chasing cod Stephan, there's no decent football teams around your neck of the woods worth watching!!!

caveman
10-06-2004, 02:24 PM
its good to hear of another freshy who respects his fish and the grounds that he fishes stephen

ANYFISH
18-06-2004, 01:33 PM
gday robman
sorry about not replying earlier i have not been in here for a while.
i am from toowoomba and go down to the severn river to fish for a few cod. i don't keep any so those little buggers like the one in the photo just make good sport :D ;D

scott_b
18-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Good on ya ANYFISH we caught them in the water. ;)
wamjam

ANYFISH
18-06-2004, 04:19 PM
bloody nice colours on these river fish ay wamjam.

i just finished a polly-tube waterproof container for my digital camera. thought it would be a good idea after finding my camera in the front of the boat when it was pissing down rain. didn't hurt it though.
cheers