PDA

View Full Version : ####ING COD FISHERS (with crosslines)

caveman
16-06-2004, 04:09 PM
just heard today of 4 blokes fishing out near goodiwindi(locals both white and aboriginal) using a cross line with approx 70 hooks in total he said and this is only 1 case i wonder how many were doing this over the long w/end >:( >:( >:(

el_carpo
16-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Oh, I have quite a story of my own about illegal trot lines. I'm not familiar with the term "cross line" but it sounds like what we call trot lines. They are basically a heavy line with a large weight attached to the end thrown out into a river or lake and tied to a tree branch. All along the heavy line are tied many little lengths of fishing line with baited hooks. These are used by poachers here and are often well disguised and left out overnight. Anyway, one day I was out fishing the Kankakee river with my brother and we decided to do a little wading. We were fishing for a few hours doing pretty good but decided to move upriver. We walked along for a while when suddenly, I feel a pain in my leg and nearly tripped. I reached down to find that I had been hooked! Right away, I knew that it was a trot line. Fortunately, the hook came right out. I pulled up the line to find a few dead fish (they were gut hooked) and a few live ones hooked on the lines. I freed them all and destroyed the trot line. When I got home, I wrote an e-mail to the Dep. of Nat. Res. I hope they catch whoever did it. I was lucky. All that happened to me was a small wound (though it hurt like heck!). If I had tripped and gotten tangled or cut on the river bottom, things could have been a lot worse. I hate those things!!! The fish suffer all night on the hooks as well. Very bad.

fisho22
17-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi ya all

Unfortunatley, this method of fishing is well intrenched in a lot of outback communitys, as far as Im aware only aboriginals are legally permitted to fish in this manner, (as they have done for the past 200 years or so)

If I happen to come across any whites doing the same thing, I would have no hesitation in having them arrested, and giving evidence against them in court, to ensure that they receive the maximum penalty (which they deserve)

Fisho 22

ANYFISH
17-06-2004, 01:48 PM
i wouldnt care who was doing it. if i found any of these bloody croslines the owners wouldn't be able to use en after i threw en in the fire. ;D
if i can follow the fishing rules so can every other person fishing in australia. i just wish the authorities had a bit more time on their hands to catch all these bastards. [smiley=furious2.gif]

murrayscod
17-06-2004, 07:59 PM
yeah i found about 100 of the green cord lines attached to tube and pegged to ground (setlines), gang hooks on teh end with either yabbies or carp as bait.. so figured this guy had broken numerous rules including using carp as bait, leaving lines unattended and having too many to start with not to mention the type of lines he used.. so i did the right thing and pulled them all up i was willing to risk him returning and any action he might have taken against me. this was at the condamine near millmerran. no wonder it was difficult to pull a fish from that area!

ANYFISH
18-06-2004, 01:25 PM
guday murayscod
do you do much fishing around millmerran? i live at toowoomba and have been wanting to do a trip out to the condie out in that area for a while now but don't know where to go. i used to live at allora near warwick and did a bit of fishing in the condie near there. maybee we can swap spots on the condamine? let me know if your interested in directions

cheers anyfish

caveman
18-06-2004, 04:47 PM
anyfish you were only just down the road from me' what is the legal amount of lines you can have both set and on you

ANYFISH
18-06-2004, 05:39 PM
don't know mate only fish with one rod.
can't hold a tinny and two rods at the same time ;D
i think it is 4 set lines ???
if this isn't right i'm shure someone will let us know.

are you from warwick? if so do you fish leslie much? i havent been doing well out there lately but last trip i got onto a patch and got 10 fish in about an hour. most were undersize but i don't care cause i throw em back anyway.
cheers
anyfish

caveman
18-06-2004, 05:49 PM
nah as i've said in other post i don't fish the dams, it just don't do it for me, i prefer to walk the banks of a river any day as i only use lures give me a bell n ext time your over and i'll pop out and say gidday, i have no idear as i'm like you only use one rod, was just curious as to what the legal amount is

murrayscod
20-06-2004, 06:41 PM
yeah gday again fellas, um dont really fish the rivers much now, mainly into the bass scene now. well the spot i was referring too was on private property and not really my connection so cant really go back there. um if youre keen to try out a spot the best would be lemon tree weir theres still some good fish in there apparently. but i think the whole stretch of river suffered when the holes got very low this place i referred to had hundreds of big yellas and stuff floating and being eaten by pelicans so prolly not much left in there.
as far as i know i think its around 7 lines you can have or maybe slightly more cant remember. um yeah im planning a trip to leslie monday prolly, havent been for awhile and last few times have been busting to land a fish, so hopefully it might change. do you fish up near the wall anyfish? Gary id be keen to come out for a flick with you one arvo might grab chris and bring him out too if hes interesed.
im in cambooya so its not too far for me.
cheers Luke

ANYFISH
21-06-2004, 04:54 AM
went to leslie saturday arvo/night from4-7.30. fished with shrimp up near the blackboys and got nothin. fished at the bouys near the wall and got 1 yella about 150mm long and frostbite. [smiley=hammer.gif]
shouldhave stayed at home with a bottle of rum.

caveman
21-06-2004, 12:45 PM
no probs luke just wait until it warms up a bit, around sept/oct seems to be when they fire in the creek

murrayscod
21-06-2004, 06:53 PM
yeah no worries, just thought the green fellas might be more active around now.

caveman
22-06-2004, 01:46 PM
shit mate i've never really targeted the greenies in the river here now you got me thinkin i mite have to take some surface walkers down and see what happens