PDA

View Full Version : Breeding in Impoundments

gunna
30-07-2004, 06:58 AM
I have often read that bass don't breed in impoundments. I was just wondering about the other stocked varieties. Such as yellas, silver perch & cod. Do they breed ??

Fitzy
30-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Bass no
Barra no
Yellas almost impossible.
Silvers no.
Cod (Mary, Murray, Eastern, Trout) can if conditions are right.
Sooty grunter almost impossible.
Saratoga yes.
Catfish yes.
Spangled perch yes

Remo
31-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Fitzy,
I thought if there was a large amount of rain, nd it followed into a very dry dam ie Moograh a few years ago. It would bring the yellas to spawn if at the right time of year.

i was tol this scenario happened at moogerah about ten years ago now when the last dry spell we had there.
kept in mind this was second information, but from the father of one of the original fish stockers out there.

ray

fishy_phil
02-08-2004, 04:12 PM
just look at lake keepit in NSW the yellas are very well known by fisheries as they will breed nearly every year.
cheers
phil

Fitzy
02-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Goldens can "successfully" breed if there's suficient inflow & enough river upstream for the eggs to be airated for 3 days or so. Not alot of lakes have the right environment for it.
I believe yellas will commonly spawn in lakes, however the eggs rarely survive.
You can get yellas to spawn in a far dam if you build it just right, again you need high O2 levels & the right food for the fry.
We're pretty sure we had a succesful yellowbelly spawn in Somerset some years back. Only confirmed lake in Qld where they regularly breed with success is Bearmore Dam at St George.

Phil, wont argue on Keepit, only been there a few times. I recon they'd be a big chance in the Gwydir above Copeton too.

fitz