PDA

View Full Version : Best braid for dragging barra from the trees

scott_b
16-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Gday
# # # # Just like to know which brand of braid can handle a good scuff up the side of a tree.
# # # # # # # #wamjam
# # # # # # # # #

basserman
16-08-2004, 02:12 PM
i'm no expert at all but i do fish with bloke that go up north for a fishing week each year and they all swear by harros bionic braid ;D but as i sayed i have no clue to that stuff yet :(

Fitzy
16-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Bionic Braid or Penn Power Braid are the go.

fitzy..

scott_b
16-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks
Been using some Berkly Gorilla braid locally seems good, any comments.
wamjam

tonyp
17-08-2004, 05:36 AM
Finns is pretty good, I have only used it on Bass in the sticks not Barra, But it holds up fairly well. Soft and easy to cast straight out of the packet !

Smithy
17-08-2004, 06:23 AM
Know a bloke that had his boat permenately at Weipa and just used to fly up and absolutely swears by Fireline in the heavier line classes after much trial and error on the oysters.

McCod
17-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Have used a few lines over the years including most of the above and i am not convinced yet that there is a stonger line than Fireline . 14 lb breaks at around 28lb. All strains are great . I just got some new Fireline XDS in 35 lb and will be testing it at Lake Proserpine in September.Will let ya's know if its any good.
Cheers McCod.

aussiebasser
17-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Fireline over 14lb is a bit wiry, and if you go to 35lb it's like castin fencing wire. I've used both 50lb Bionic and 50lb Finns, and both do the job admirally at Faust. Bionic is aussie made, so it'd be my preference.

scott_b
17-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Gday all.
# # #I've used 30lb Fireline which seems to be as tough as sh*t but a bit stiff , had a go of bionic 30lb seems to brake very easy when trolled over rocks , Spider Wire 14lb seems to separate the strands to easy but haven't tryed the heavier stuff. This Gorila braid seems to not brake with out a struggle when trying to unhook lures and casts beautiful.
# # # # # # wamjam

lordy
18-08-2004, 10:34 AM
wamjam the 30lb fireline is really closer 60lb, berkley just write about 1/2 the actual breaking strain on the box for some reason. This makes fireline seem like the strongest in its class, when its more or a con-job like sticking a v8 Commodore in the small car category against Lasers and Barinas. Bionic marks theirs pretty close to the real breaking strain. It'd be fairer to compare 50lb bionic and 30lb fireline.

lordy
18-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Have used a few lines over the years including most of the above and i am not convinced yet that there is a stonger line than Fireline . 14 lb breaks at around 28lb.
Cheers McCod.

Well then its not 14lb is it, it 28lb! By Berkley's logic I could use 2 inch shipping rope and call it 14lb line and it'd be the strongest 14lb line in its class! (Berkley just sh*ts me this mislabeling). >:(

bc
18-08-2004, 12:01 PM
But isnt it all to do with the diameter of the line, ie. 10lb fireline (roughly)same diameter as 20 lb mono ???

Then you can argue its not comparing apples with apples but then, thats because its not ;)

bc
(fireline user/fireline fan)

lordy
18-08-2004, 01:32 PM
But isnt it all to do with the diameter of the line, ie. 10lb fireline (roughly)same diameter as 20 lb mono #???

In this case, no. We are talking about the physical breaking strain of the line, not its equivalent size as mono. "14lb" Fireline actually seems a lot thicker than equivalent 14lb braids in other brands, which isn't a surprise (genuine 28lb line is going to be thicker than genuine 14lb line). Being much thicker than "equivalent" lb lines is going to help with its perceived abrasion resistance.

(fireline user/fireline fan)

I like fireline too, I just wish they would be more accurate.

bc
18-08-2004, 01:52 PM
OK, thanks for that :)

bc

Jeremy87
18-08-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm planning on going up north in the not to distant future to chase some jacks and barra. How heavy are the rods that you guys use? What type of rod and reel set up would you advise for and amature whos after good value for money but willing to pay for quality?
Jeremy

bc
18-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Jeremy, big_george is the bloke to talk too about this, he seems to know whats what for that type of fishing, and will make rods to suit, I think he calls them TIUTA rods, something to do with NZ I would expect.

PM him and you will not be dissappointed.

Kinrossed #8)

Fitzy
18-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Refering to the fireline sideline, I personally dont like stiff lines or lines with a memory (ie fireline) on a baitcaster. A limp line will come off the spool far easier, hence I prefer to use a true braid eg Penn Powerbraid or Bionic.

On a spin reel, I'm the opposite, I prefer something with a bit of memory as this helps line come off the reel better, giving greater casting distance & the extra stiffness helps to overcome line twist & the associated knots.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Wild_Side
19-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi guys, Myself I like braided lines, Don't go for fireline to much. I have used just about all of them and the one that stands up to the most for me I would have to say is the 40lb musculine made by pioneer. I fish in really thick snags so getting the fish out is my number one concern. As for rod choice, I'm running a couple of loomis 665GL2 with daiwa CVX253's. I spend a lot of time both flicking and trolling, and these outfits have done really well. But value for money I thick the new Angler Advantage AAB170g-6 which is a 6 to 8kg rod is worth a look.

team_mongo
19-08-2004, 04:27 PM
penn power braid or fireline

George

big_george
19-08-2004, 06:14 PM
penn power braid or fireline

George
Get back to the fly chat.
Is that for backing on a fly reel. :o
regards george 8)

scott_b
20-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Geeze , this is a bit like asking which lure to use . Just chuck anything on she'll be right ???
wamjam

danny
20-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Harros bionic in 30lb -50lb is great but i have found whiplash 50lb to be an all round fantastic braid.Whiplash is an 8 platt braid stronger and thinner than most.I fish mainly up prosepine around conway beach for barra and peter faust dam,whiplash has no memory does not tangle easily off a well set up bait caster, I use a tica bait caster 50lb whiplash on a 10-12 kg ugly stick flicking lures in the timber no problem

Randall
21-08-2004, 08:48 AM
No argument at all with me.
Bionic 50-30-20.....then fireline under that. I think its important to get used to the way a particular braid or fused line feels. I`ve standardized on these: Baitcaster...bionic. Spin,.....fireline.

Randall.

steve_K
21-08-2004, 04:48 PM
fireline 30lb or above,this stuff breaks far above the stated breaking strain

Richo1
21-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Have always used Fireline 20lb & 30lb, with Snieder leader 30-50lb. Thinking about trying bionic because it is Aussie Made!

davo
23-08-2004, 05:49 PM
I like Fireline on spin reels and braid on baitcasters. I used Tuff Line at Weipa with no problems. We also used Bionic Braid at Awoonga without any problems. My father is a spin reel man and has nailed so impressive fish on Firleine like a Coral Trout over a metre on 30lb Fireline through a Baitrunner 6500. It's horses for courses.

andy_thomsen
27-08-2004, 09:24 AM
I have found that XP Tuf line in 65 pound is unbreakable.
6x trebels and 60 pound leader let go first....

max_power
29-09-2004, 10:58 AM
i use fins, soft and supple, and have had no problems yet

Scott_Mitchell
29-09-2004, 11:59 AM
I'll back you up on that Max - I switched from Fireline to Fins two seasons ago for all my baitcaster work - and love it.It's very easy to cast , supple - yet tuff as nails and knots well.I used 50lb Fins up on the barra dams the last two trips as well as out in the wild and have landed fish to 118 cm with it - no problems :)

Regards Scotto