PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Sweetwater Quiz

Fitzy
04-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Have been thinking of throwing up a few trivia questions to test out peoples knowlege. Will see if there's much interest & might continue it. If you've got a good one, feel free to post it up or send it to me in a PM.

Here's the first:

2 part question

A-What was the original name of the Murray River,
B- Who gave it that name?

fitzy..

where_is_dave
05-08-2004, 04:29 AM
A-The Hume
B- Hume and Hovell

Renamed by Sturt in 1830

aussiebasser
05-08-2004, 04:35 PM
I waz gunna say that.
How are Hume and Hovell commemorated now???

Randall
06-08-2004, 03:55 AM
Hume lives in a hovell down by the highway. ;D

RG

where_is_dave
06-08-2004, 07:49 AM
LMAO ;D Very good.

Fitzy
06-08-2004, 02:44 PM
A-The Hume
B- Hume and Hovell

Renamed by Sturt in 1830

Excellent Smithers. ;D

fitz

fishy_phil
13-08-2004, 03:08 PM
gday everyone ive got a question

how big was the biggest recorded murray cod AND where was it caught???
cheers
phil

klyons
13-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Phil
I raised this question some time ago. I heard of a photo in a pub at Woodenbong showing a cod claimed to be 180cm but I have not been able to find any other info or whether it was a fake or not. Hopefully your question will provide the answer

Kev

fishy_phil
14-08-2004, 05:05 AM
will post the answer tonight.
cheers
phil

Quinny69
14-08-2004, 07:35 AM
Dont tell me Phil,, You caught it but you dont have the piccy,,,,,,,Just jokin :D # #MQ

fishy_phil
14-08-2004, 11:57 AM
gday all
it was caught by me in 1930 in my past life ;D
just kidding
it was 1800mm 113.5 kg caught in the edward river and somewhere around 1920.
where i read it they didn't know the exact year.

cheers
phil

klyons
14-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Phill

This would tally with the age of the photo I was told about. Now ??? ??? where the ;D ;D ;D ;D is the Edward River.

Kev

Fitzy
14-08-2004, 07:51 PM
There was a hoax photo of a MC kicking around a few years ago. Was actually a pic of a Qld Grouper.

My old grandfather (gone a while now) was many a thing as a young fella. One of his occupations I believe was a pro on the Murray. The family have a pic of him with a MC hanging from a tree next to him & the MC was about 6 or 8 inches taller than him. Gotta say that old Pop was a shorty at around 5'6" tho. Still a bloody big fish.

I heard some rumours about a MC getting caught near Walgett last year that apparently knocked the record off. Never did see a pic tho.

Cheers,

fitz

Anyone want to hazzard a guess what this beast would have weighed? I beleive it was electrofished by fisheries in NSW or Vic.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/65.jpg

fishy_phil
15-08-2004, 08:52 AM
gday fitz
that cod in the pic, aint got nothing on the ones on the ones around the dam walls of copeton end kepit dams!!! but id still put that fish at no less than 100lb. i talked to a professional diver at copeton who does the repairs/inspections on the dam walls and the size of the fish that he was telling me about made me think twice about putting a bait down there on line any lighter than 100lb braid!!! he was saying some of the cod that he saw come up to him to 'have a look' would have been around 90-100KG plus!!! i have no reason to doubt him but it sounds like it would be interesting putting down a live 10kg carp on 100lb braid!!! also it could even be possibble that the fish im talking about is that fish your grandfather caught because the edward is a part of the murray river pro fisho's haunts for big cod.
the Edward river is a 'tributary'(more of a side arm about 150km long) of the murray river. on the nsw side. i believe it to be WSW of narrandera. if i have my bearing right.
# # # # # # #cheers
# # # # # # # # # # #phil

fishy_phil
15-08-2004, 09:13 AM
id be interested to know more about that fish near walget, but to the best of my knowledge that fish was nothing more than a rumour. where as the fish im talking about is near universally recognised as the biggest recorded.
cheers
phil

Gorilla_in_Manila
15-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Map of Edward River for anyone interested.
Hope the link works.
Cheers
Jeff
http://www.multimap.com/wi/browse.cgi?client=public&X=16250000.6058882&Y=-4200000.75663189&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&db=&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=2000000&left.x=6&left.y=144

charexblue
15-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I was under the impression that the MC caught near Walget was about 111 Kgs
didn't hear much else about it though.

aussiebasser
15-08-2004, 05:27 PM
I didn't they would have know what a millimetre and a kilogram were in the 1920's, but if you've got news reports of the day saying that, I 'spose I'm wrong again.

Squizy
16-08-2004, 10:02 AM
The Ol' fella caught a largish Cod some years ago vicinity Tocumwal It was 1.557M and weighed in at 136lb and had a girth of 36 1/2". This was caught in 1969, at night on a sand bar in the Murray in about 6' water and yes he has a Pic of it. I will try and get a copy of it and have it posted.

fishy_phil
16-08-2004, 12:13 PM
those are the converted measurements if you havent worked it out, and what is writen in my source material, not the original mearusements in imperial. if you want it you work it out 25.4mm to the inch, 12 inches to the foot and 2.2 lb to the KG.
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #phil

trollsroyce
09-10-2004, 04:17 PM
i read 199 pounds somewhere

FlyRod
09-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Anyways back to the quiz ;D
What is the smallast lure/fly caught Barra in a QLD stocked impoundment and where?
Rod

goodoo2
19-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Great thread guys, but you have to be careful with your questions. #What you really meant was "what was the first white fella name given to the Murray River"?

There were several aboriginal names given to the different sections of the Murray River, and these names would be thousands of years old. #I believe the middle reaches including where Hume and Hovell tramped around was called the "Millewa".

The largest semi-reliably recorded Murray Cod was caught in in the Barwon River at Walgett in 1902 by railway bridge builders who claimed they caught in on some ridiculous line but no doubt dynamited it.

Dr Stuart Rowland, the country's foremost Murray Cod researcher, did some research on this record, and apparently it is genuine. #Apparently it was displayed in a marquee for penny a peep until it was too far gone, so lots of people saw it, and apparently a photo of it was run in the local paper. #Unfortunately, decades later the local paper lost all its archives in a fire, so we don't have the photo now. #But it seems like it was around 113 kg.

It must be pointed out though that this fish was an extreme outlyer in the size range of Murray Cod and was absolutely as big as Murray Cod get.

A more common maximum size for larger cod would be 45 - 55 kg, and that's still very big.

The Cod in the picture caught by fisheries I'd estimated to around 50-55 kg.

Seemingly, the very occasional Murray Cod does get caught above the 55 kg mark. #I've heard rumours (nothing more) of a couple of 100 kg+ Cod from the Barwon/Darling in the last 20 years, and a rumour of a 111 kg Cod from the Murrumbidgee at Hay in the late 80s. #All invariably setlined. #And there's almost no doubt some selfish prick got an 85 kg Cop from the Edwards River a year or two ago, which he refused to let the otoliths (ear bones) be taken from for aging.

It would be nice to properly document some of these really big fish - and if (unfortunately) they have been killed - to get their otoliths and age them. #Because while the oldest Murray Cod yet recorded was 48-49 years old, there's no doubt these really big fish are much older than this.

Cheers

Simon

Livie
24-10-2004, 09:07 PM
:o