PDA

View Full Version : Bass Ban at Somerset. (SWFSA Press Release)

SWFSA
12-11-2004, 06:30 PM
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/swfsa/BassBanSomerset.doc

[hr]

Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn. Inc
PRESS RELEASE November 11, 2004

Ban on bass at Lake Somerset
The Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association (SWFSA) today announced that it would not be stocking Australian Bass into Lake Somerset this season.
The announcement is in response to the Department of Primary Industries & Fisheries Dept dropping the Commercial Fishing Competition permit late last year. This move by DPI&F has effectively taken away community fish stocking groups ability to manage fishing competitions or tournaments run on the water bodies the various groups stock with native fish for the community to catch.

SWFSA President Garry Fitzgerald today said, “we hoped it wouldn’t come to this but Fisheries lack of action have forced our hand.”

“If we cannot effectively manage who runs what comps on these lakes then we can only do what is in the best interests of the community who have supported fish stocking for 15 years now and in recent years purchased SIP permits (Stocked Impoundment Permit).”

“There’s a bass comp on every month up here and we have no way to control what happens and when, our only alternative is to stop stocking bass until the situation is fixed.”

“We are only too happy to have tournament style comps on Somerset and Wivenhoe, but we need to be able to control the amount of comps, the fish they are targeting and the impact on the fishery, its all about effective management.”

“Our members voted unanimously on this issue and are determined to fight on for the fishing communities best interests.”

SWFSA will focus their stocking efforts on golden perch and silver perch at Lake Somerset, once the mainstays of Lake Somerset until DPI&F can get an effective Commercial Fishing Competition Permit system in place.
SWFSA also plan to continue their efforts in creating breeding populations of Mary River cod and saratoga.

ENDS>

Contact: Garry Fitzgerald 0412 161169 or email fitzy@[nospam]ausfish.com.au

BOMBER
13-11-2004, 07:15 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with the above action taken by the SWFSA, I am not a member but enjoy my Bass fishing and realise what pressure a comp nearly every month must have on the Bass stocks in this impoundment. I hope that the regulators see their error and give the control back to SWFSA so they can maintain a healthy and sustainable fishery in this dam.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

WHITTO
13-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Hear! Hear! I support wholeheartly the SWFSA,not a member but I do fish Somerset,keep up the good work.
Good Fishin 2 U All Whitto

SWFSA
15-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Reaction to the above decision have been varied and passionate. Some are complaining with others supporting the move.

The Aquaculture Assn of Qld (AAQ) President Bruce Sambell had this to say
"Comment from the President of the Aquaculture Association of Queensland Inc.

Having discussed this situation in detail with the above, I understand the principle, and support the position taken by the SWFSA. All stocking groups which hold a stocking permit are effectively the managers of the fishery, with DPI&F their supervisor. The action taken by SWFSA will effect the fish hatcheries who are producing Australian bass fingerlings. I believe that a solution to this situation should be found as soon as possible."

codcatcha
16-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Good on ya guys stand up for your rights. Its stocking guys like U that make freshwater fishing what it is today. The only direction for for fishing, without stocking groups, is down hill and fast

Randall
16-11-2004, 04:33 AM
The elite comp minority crueling it for the average Bass angling majority!!

Typical!!

It had to happen...it had to start somewhere. We all saw it coming.

Every man and his dog wants to run a comp for the elite end these days. What about all the card-carrying majority out there that just want to relax and go fishing for Bass? Unfair? Of course it is without the bridle SWFSA used to be in control of.

Randall.

Dodgy_Back
16-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Why don't they push for catch and release. I saw a comp there recently and at the weigh in a lot a anglers didnt want to keep the fish they just killed or was i just there at abad time and saw a minority
Mick

tonyp
16-11-2004, 12:03 PM
The elite comp minority crueling it for the average Bass angling majority!!

Typical!!

It had to happen...it had to start somewhere. We all saw it coming.

Every man and his dog wants to run a comp for the elite end these days. What about all the card-carrying majority out there that just want to relax and go fishing for Bass? Unfair? Of course it is without the bridle SWFSA used to be in control of.

Randall.

Randall,

That is a tad harsh mate, Elite ! . I agree with Fitzy but dont blame someone who wants to test there skill in a tournament situation. Maybe soem guidelines need to be in place for sure but inland fishing is just getting bigger. Both the people you refer to pay a sips permit fee as well as a boating fee for Somerset. I hope this brings to light maybe the pressure this dam gets , But if they will not stock Bass maybe people will stop ticking Somerset on the sips form ? ??? Then they wont have much money to worry about !
So yes police it and keep the SWFSA informed of what is happening. But what is the reason why they stopped the original system ?

Randall
16-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Tony....make no appologies for the term Elite mate, what else can you call this group at the top of the angling pile? They are very good with substancial investments in the sport.

Have absolutely nothing against the competitors....its all the johnny come lately comp organizers that want to cash in on the original success of the the original comps. I understand why...but it does`nt change the fact that the majority of SIP paying anglers are penalized by the postponement of stocking until SWFSA find a resolution.

Harsh? Nahhhh. Realistic though!!

Randall.

tonyp
16-11-2004, 12:41 PM
So are we pointing out the first comps to run on the dam ? Or only the Johny come lately comps? If so that is good because it Labels someone to Blame it all on ???

But in the first place as I asked why did they stop doing what was already working ? And ask the SWFSA or at least get there blessing . ;D
I aint no Elite mate ;D Wish i was ;D

aussiebasser
16-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi Tony,
As far as I can work out, DPI & F cancelled the or discontinued the system because they saw it as a non-value added complication to themselves. In their opinion they were not getting enough return for their investment of time to administer the system. Probably a similar reason to why there are twenty cash registers at K Mart, but only 3 operating at any one time, why invest more money, when the people will come back anyway. Being involved in the S W F S A inc. I can assure you that there was a lot of soul searching before this decision was made. Although the majority of the "commercial" competitions are catch and release, there has been no definitive study done to identify the long term survival rate of Australian Bass after their release from live wells and the like. Sadly, the stocking group does not have the funds or the man-power to conduct such a study. Being a Government Department, it would be great to see the DPI & S invest some of their time into this, so that fully iinformed individuals can make the correct decisions.
Open slather of fishing comps on impoundments stocked by small groups of volunteers is definately not the way to go. We hope that the ABA is never faced with the same dilema.

Smithy
17-11-2004, 05:06 AM
Dale. Had to do with the National Competition Policy. That is what twisted QFS's arm and why the permit system was dropped.

Fitzy
17-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Dale. #Had to do with the National Competition Policy. #That is what twisted QFS's arm and why the permit system was dropped. #
It was only the fee they had to drop, cant charge a fee without providing a service.
But they threw the baby out with the bathwater. The old system wasnt the best anyway, it needed reworking. Here's the perfect opportunity to get some input from the stocking groups, comp organisers & Fisheries personnel to get a valid & working system that will stop clashes & potential exploitation of the fisheries created for the public, by the public.
We were promised action in short order, to date there has been NONE.

Time's a wastin & money from those dependant upon the bass there will go down the gurgler if DPI&F don't act smartly. None of it is my money tho so I'll be happy to sit back & wait if its going to give a better outcome for ALL stocking groups in Qld. If enough people show concern about this move, it might twist their arm the other way just a little.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Simon_Goldsmith
18-11-2004, 08:13 AM
From a resource management point of view there is good and bad in this move.

Fitzy can you explain what is the objective of the decision.

My concern is that the fishery will be more prone to degradation and decline before a change in management materialises.

Cheers

Simon.

Fitzy
18-11-2004, 07:48 PM
From a resource management point of view there is good and bad in this move.

Fitzy can you explain what is the objective of the decision.

My concern is that the fishery will be more prone to degradation and decline before a change in management materialises.

Cheers

Simon.

Hi Simon,
The objective of this move is to get some action on promises made earlier this year to get a system in place to effectively manage commercial fishing competitions. There has been NO movement, nor consultaion since the undertaken was given by DPI&F.
That particular management committee (I am a member of several) had to make the decision on what fish where going where & place the orders or miss out this season. Buying fingerlings isnt like running down to the corner store to get a loaf of bread, they have to be ordered months in advance & are only available at certain times of the year. If you miss out that's it until next year.

The community based stocking groups have the role of creating, maintaining & managing the recreation fisheries in their geographical region under guidelines laid down by DPI&F. It is the choice of the individual stocking groups as to what numbers of any of the "permitted" fish are stocked, there is an upper limit, but no bottom limit. If stocking groups cannot effectively manage the frequency of comps, what they are targettting, when they are held, it is poor management.

SWFSA are fully aware of the potential ramification of this decision. We certainly sympathise with anyone who may be effected. Those that may be, we encourage you to contact the ministers office directly to voice your concerns & ask that DPI&F move quickly to avoid further delays.
If no movement is forthcoming, SWFSA may well decide to remove bass from their stocking regime permanently; there certainly is no obligation to stock bass or any other species that are allowed within that catchment. Atkinsons Dam for example is only stocked with Saratoga.

The decision is definately not about eliminating commercial fishing comps, just how to effectively manage them. Just tonight the SWFSA committee endorsed six (6) comps that are planned for Somerset & Wivenhoe. 3 x ABT & 3 x Bassmania. In total in the next year there will be 8 comps on Somerset & 7 on Wivenhoe, all endorsed by SWFSA.

If the bass fishery collapses there then it can be rebuilt, it was started from scratch in the first place.

In a nutshell, its about stocking groups being given the backup by DPI&F to be able to effectively manage the fisheries that the stocking groups created in the first place.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Simon_Goldsmith
23-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the reply Fitz.

Lets hope that its inacts some action from management.

Simon.

lordy
23-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Simon I take a sideway look at things like this. What is bad for the bass isn't always bad for the fisheries. The major positive to come out of this will be increased stocking of Saratoga. Not stocking bass frees up $10000 for more Saratoga. In the long run a solid breeding population of Toga is self-sustaining and actually creates value for the fishery on it own unlike bass which must be constantly restocked. Toga represent money for nothing once established. If this goes on for more than year at least it won't have been in vain. That is substantial silver lining to all this kerfuffle.

Nobby
23-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I think if the Sommerset management can't find enough money in their little kitty to stock bass, there's something seriously wrong! It's one of the only dams around that on top of the fishing permit you also need a boating permit which at $15 or $100 is a joke. Why can't they put in a boom gate and charge every one who comes into the dam not only the boaties eg. Cressbrook. With that and camping fees I'm sure this would cover cost to maintain the dam. They say its privately owned, but I'm sure they collect from the Brisbane City council and other shires who use their water, so to say they don't want to stock bass just because fishing comps are having an effect on the population is a load of bulldust. We all pay our fishing permits, and the money from that should be going to restocking the dams. Tight lines.

aussiebasser
23-11-2004, 05:48 PM
G'day Nobby,
Somerset Management do not stock Somerset, in fact they are not allowed to stock it. The only group permitted to stock there is the Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association Inc. The money is not an issue, the Bass stocking ban comes about from the DPI & F's hasty decision to abolish permits for commercial fishing competitions. As lordy states, the money will be put to other uses, including Saratoga and Mary River Cod, which will breed in the dam, and hopefully be self sustaining.

lordy
24-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Nobby, the boating permit money and the camping fees don't go to stocking group.

John_D
28-11-2004, 05:46 AM
Hi Dale,
Other stocking groups are obviously affected by the DPI's decision as well. What are they doing about this situation.

Do they back you in the action you have taken with the DPI ???

Cheers

Fitzy
28-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Hi Dale,
Other stocking groups are obviously affected by the DPI's decision as well. What are they doing about this situation.

Do they back you in the action you have taken with the DPI ???

Cheers
At the Southern Fish Stocking Workshop held early this year there was across the board support from stocking groups for something to get done to rectify the situation.
There have been alot of letters written & nothing has been done.
Somerset has more comps on it than any other freshwater location in Qld. It is the obvious choice where a "stand" should be taken.
I know that SWFSA have not asked other groups to support them & are willing to go it alone to get a result for all stocking groups across Qld.
We know the topic has been discussed by other groups since the SWFSA press release, however there seems to be some hesitation to openly support SWFSA or follow suit as they fear backlash from DPI&F.
There is some emailing going on within representative & /or lobby groups ATM, some if it is filtering through to me yet still no outward support or contact from FFSAQ, ANSA or Sunfish to SWFSA, so be it. Not that there is much any of these groups can do about it except for either support or not support.

The shit may well hit the fan, I for one hope it does as it can only help get a result sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

fitzy..

SWFSA
02-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Appears to be some movement from DPI&F. Hopefully a good outcome is on the horizon.
See media release here http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/16506.html

[hr]

Code of conduct for fishing competitions
A code-of-conduct could soon guide freshwater fishing competitions in Queensland to minimise the impact on fisheries as well as provide advice for competition organisers.

The Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) is developing the code in collaboration with the Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland (FFSAQ).

DPI&F principal scientist Peter Jackson said the code would help to address stocking groups’ concerns following a decision in December 2003 to remove the need to hold a general fisheries permit for commercial competitions in Queensland.

Dr Jackson said competition organisers still required approvals from local councils and other government agencies to hold a competition but there was still a need to develop guidelines and practical advice for competition organisers.

“DPI&F is working with FFSAQ to develop a code of conduct which will help to protect fisheries from the impact of competitions,” he said.

“For example, if the competition is being held in any of the State’s stocked dams, organisers will be encouraged to contact the relevant fish stocking group.

“Impoundment fisheries require the ongoing stocking of fingerlings and therefore, it is important for the viability of these activities that competition organisers liaise and support the local fish stocking group.”

Dr Jackson said in the past, many organisers had donated some competition proceeds towards stocking activities which in turn benefits all dam users.

“We will be looking at a range of issues to ensure both the stocking group and competition organisers benefit,” he said.

For more information about fishing competitions visit www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb or phone the DPI&F Call Centre on 13 25 23.

------------------------------------------------------------

Further information: Peter Jackson +61 7 3224 2185
Media Officer: Liz Smith Ph: +61 7 3224 7757
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Media Unit
GPO Box 46 Brisbane Qld 4001. Fax +61 7 3239 0860
DPI&F Call Centre 8am-6pm weekdays on local call 13 25 23

Dexterity
08-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Garry,

Im not one to normally do a backflip but in this case I will. I was at Somerset on the weekend and had a great day fishing. I have been bass fishing for about 4 years now and have found Somerset to be the most consistent dams in South East Qld. Even though I do enjoy the tournaments I must admit that this year has been the toughest bass fishing year I have had at Somerset. There is probably a number of reasons for this, but i'm sure the that this dam is coping too much pressure. The SWFSA has done a fantastic job to get this dam to where it is today so who i'm I to judge your decisions. I hope that SWFSA finds a happy solution with the DPI and that this dam can continue to be the way it is.

Dex

Fitzy
08-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi Dexter,
Thanks for the feedback/support,

The objective of the move was to get some action from DPI&F. This has been achieved I believe & I will trust DPI&F to follow through now that the ball is at least rocking (almost rolling). DPI&F Officer Steve Brooks has been busily organising concerned parties to get an initial meeting off the ground. #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I can forsee SWFSA now being more than happy to reverse the decision on bass stocking at Somerset.
In fact I had a call from SEQWCorp staff this week. Their allocation of bass fingerlings is due to arrive within weeks & they were asking where SWFSA would like them to be released (under SWFSA permit to stock of course). I advised them that Somerset would be a good location. #;D

This Saturday (11-12-04) there will be a consignment of bass fingerlings arriving at Lake Wivenhoe. Anyone wanting to get involved or is just curious is more than welcome to come along. We're happy to show any adults/kids the fish & tell a little about what we do. Fish are due to arrive at Logans Inlet between 10:30 & 11:00AM.

Cheers,

fitzy..

budgebass
08-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Hey Fitzy

Is there any thoughts as to why the numbers were down on the your recent classic?

Could it be the that Somerset is becoming an "elitist" dam aimed at Bass comps and tournaments? I know that would not be your intention? But given the number of tournaments of recent times that could be an easy assumption?

Having 20 high powered fully optioned bass boats fly pass your 12 foot tinnie at high rate of knots in the timber beyond kirkleigh can make you feel a little inadequate. But also having 2 tinlids in the boat with you means "danger" and rethinking your fishing options.

I fully support your move and think the SWFSA has done a great job. Some control has to be put on these tournaments otherwise they are gonna get out of control.

In the past I think the classic was successful because of grass roots support, somehow I think a lot of your original grass roots now give Somerset a miss. Could it be the comps?

Considering that once upon a time the timber at Kirkleigh was a retreat from those other varmints - water skiers. This aint so the case these days. And I would hate to begrudge a fellow fisherman a days fishing but I would have to consider it if it is only for sake of winning a comp.

Keep up the good work
Cheers
Budgebass

Were "Banded Grunter" mistakenly stocked in Somerset? Is that rumour true? Was anybody "keelhauled" over that one?

codcatcha
09-12-2004, 02:59 AM
All COMPS should be Catch & Release ONLY weather they are "Elite " fishermen or not.
The fishing pressure on a dam during a compition is huge compared to the average days fishing. You might consider it as bad as putting a net through the dam. because there is always a huge number of fish killed & weighed in not to eat but in for a prize.
Large fish caught during a competition should be verified by another competing boat then released, If the fish is not seen swim away by the varifing boat then NO POINTS
I only fish CATCH & RELEASE Comps
NEVER CATCH & KILL.

Paul_C
09-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Considering that once upon a time the timber at Kirkleigh was a retreat from those other varmints - water skiers. #This aint so the case these days. # And I would hate to begrudge a fellow fisherman a days fishing but I would have to consider it if it is only for sake of winning a comp.

Budgebass,
You won't see this happening at S'set anymore as everywhere north of the southern tip of Kirkleagh is now 6 knots, thanks mainly to the ski bunnies.

Large fish caught during #a competition should be verified by another #competing boat then released, If the fish is not seen swim away by the varifing boat then NO POINTS #

Codcatcha,

During the last classic, Dale Sinclair and I were doing on water live measuring and release, "NO SWIM - NO POINTS" in the C&R section at least, but they were still entitled to measure in as dead fish.

So at least that is a start.

Paul Cade

aussiebasser
09-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey Fitzy

Is there any thoughts as to why the numbers were down on the your recent classic?

G'day Budge,
This has been discussed since the Klassic, and I really think that cancelling last year's event was the major reason for lack of numbers. These days, it is very difficult to get major sponsors to commit anything too early. This year saw some confusion/misunderstandings that had an effect on our ability to advertise early enough to get major interest. Fortunately, the major sponsors, Motorama Bayside Marine, Humminbird and Minn Kota, as well as all the other businesses that donated prizes, were impressed with the event, and will be much easier to approach next year. The sooner we get committed sponsors, the sooner we can get the support of the press we've had in the past, and get the word out among the angling public. I was proud to be involved in the comp this year, and I'm definately going to be there next year. (May have to leave the bottle of Brandy home though :-/) Let's hope we can get the Klassic back to where it was, the biggest and bloody best fresh water fishing comp in Australia.

Fitzy
09-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey Fitzy

Could it be the that Somerset is becoming an "elitist" dam aimed at Bass comps and tournaments? #I know that would not be your intention? #But given the number of tournaments of recent times that could be an easy assumption?

Having 20 high powered fully optioned bass boats fly pass your 12 foot tinnie at high rate of knots in the timber beyond kirkleigh can make you feel a little inadequate. # But also having 2 tinlids in the boat with you means "danger" and rethinking your fishing options. #

I fully support your move and think the SWFSA has done a great job. # Some control has to be put on these tournaments otherwise they are gonna get out of control.

In the past I think the classic was successful because of grass roots support, somehow I think a lot of your original grass roots now give Somerset a miss. Could it be the comps?

Considering that once upon a time the timber at Kirkleigh was a retreat from those other varmints - water skiers. #This aint so the case these days. # And I would hate to begrudge a fellow fisherman a days fishing but I would have to consider it if it is only for sake of winning a comp.

Keep up the good work
Cheers
Budgebass

Were "Banded Grunter" mistakenly stocked in Somerset? #Is that rumour true? #Was anybody "keelhauled" over that one?

#

Hi BB,
I think there were many compelling factor for a downturn in numbers at the Klassic.
Firstly it was the first time back after being cancelled the previous year due to broken promises from sponsors at the time.
Also the amount of other comps that are out there these days. Take a look at http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Comps.htm and you will see the amount of freshwater comps there are nowadays.
And lastly, the BOM gave a bad weather report in the days leading up to the Klassic.

I can say that before the SIP, vurtually all money spent by SWFSA on fish came from the proceeds of the Klassic, while at te same time the fishery just kept getting better & better, year after year. For a few fish eaten by anglers at this comp, the funds raised was enough to purchase well over 100 000 more fish each year.

The amount of grass roots fishing comps these days is dwindling, less direct support from sponsors is out there with a zillion other comps all looking for support & there's only so many comps folks can go to, nobody can do them all.

I'm sure you will find the numbers at the Kirkleagh Klassic will rise next year. The new format was exceptionally well recieved & there are plans to expand the comp as well. I wont let out too many details until more concrete information is at hand.

There currently is, & always will be scope for "tournament style" comps on Somerset. The objective was not to eliminate them (can easily be done if that's what we wanted), but to give the management committee the power to put certain restrictions/conditions on 3rd party comps & to ensure there is adequate access for ALL anglers, not just the elite/pro (minority) or the grass roots / family fishos (vast majority). Its basically about being able to create & manage a multi-level fishery that all can enjoy.
SWFSA have done this for close to 15 years now & have arguably created one of the best lake fisheries in Oz.

Banded Grunter. Due to legal reasons I cannot say too much in public. However I will say that these pest fish were either accidentally or intentionally introduced into Somerset, Wivenhoe & Hinze dams with consignments of fingerlings. There was some finger pointing going on & the lawyers got called in. End result is that nobody can 100% prove how they got there but I'm 100% sure were stuck with them.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Fitzy
09-12-2004, 05:33 PM
All COMPS should be Catch & Release ONLY weather they are "Elite " fishermen or not.
The fishing pressure on a dam during a compition #is huge compared to the average days fishing. #You might consider it as bad as putting a net through the dam. because there is always a huge number of fish killed & weighed in not to eat but in for a prize. #
Large fish caught during #a competition should be verified by another #competing boat then released, If the fish is not seen swim away by the varifing boat then NO POINTS
# # # # # # # # # # # # # I only fish CATCH & RELEASE Comps
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #NEVER CATCH & KILL.

Hi CC,
If run correctly & for the right reasons, comps can actually help the fishery. Example is the Kirkleagh Klassic. Without this comp raising valuable funds for 14 years, Somerset would not be half the fishery it is today. Well over 1 million fish have been stocked as a direct result of this comp.

Large fish caught during #a competition should be verified by another #competing boat then released, If the fish is not seen swim away by the varifing boat then NO POINTS
This would undoubtedly lead to cheating on a grand scale. Not workable & that is why it is not used.

I only fish CATCH & RELEASE Comps
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #NEVER CATCH & KILL

That is totally your choice, there are C&R only comps that dont contribute anything back to the fishery. BTW C&R definately does not mean 100% survival. On studies on bass comps in the USA, upto 40% mortality can be achieved as soon as fish are held in livewells. 92% of fish caught on a single hook can also die, even if released immediately. #So I'll let you work it all out.

Cheers,

fitz

lordy
10-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Something that hasn't been discussed is that Somerset is the prime bass dam in Qld (Wivenhoe is probably better but its grossly underfished). Being the prime dam and so close to Brisbane means its a major target for competitions.

As an example if you wanted to run a 12 round (once a month) comp at a dam in SEQ you'd pick Somerset 95% of the time. Its not hard to imagine 1 such comps running and other comps taking up a further 12 weekends, thats 1/2 the weekends with a bass comp at Somerset.

Having comps regulated means SWFSA and other fish stocking bodies can spread the competitions around more. SWFSA might say 2 or 3 rounds is OK but go try a few different dams for the rest. Spreading around the comps is good for regional tourism, it makes other dams better known, promotes fishing better and evens out the toll on fish. In other words its better for everyone.

As it stands now every comp organiser in Brisbane can run every round at Somerset, and thats not good for Somerset or the other regional dams. If SWFSA was greedy we'd want every comp we could get, thats more SIP funds and comp donations. Personally, we rather see better balance and health for all stocked impoundments even if it does cost us some dollars.

budgebass
11-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Cheers Fitzy and Aussiebasser for your Reply

I agree completely and hope that it is remembered by the "johnny come latelies" that Somerset is the dam it is today because of the proper management of a multi level fishery.

And it is the best dam because of all the fingerlings raised from the Klassic. A Klassic supported by the "grass roots".
I hope the Klassic gets back to what it was.

Sweetwater fishing is what it is all about, and the comps are good for the profile, but lets put a some control on it before they sour the waters.

Lets hope in 10-20 years we still say it is the best dam around.

Cheers
Keep up the good work
Budgebass