PDA

View Full Version : Murray Cod

Rumpig
18-09-2001, 02:48 PM
Gidday
I was just wondering what lure people thnk is the best cod lure to use in the murray? I will be fishing it with light gear (9lb mainly whilst lure fishing) I'll be fishing near the Kulkyne Nat park
colours, brands, sizes whatever

Mick

Katrina
18-09-2001, 05:30 PM
;) Try some Stumpjumpers, spinnerbaits, and maybe some killalures. Purple seems to be a successful colour for us, but just about anything is probably worth ago. Good luck!

Slates
19-09-2001, 09:01 AM
G'day Mick.
9lb is a tad light especially when trolling. The murray is snag-riddled (except for places like Echuca where they were removed for the skiiers) and trolling can get expensive if you haven't got at least 20lb line and a decent tackle retriever.

Lures I've had best success on trolling the Murray are No1 Stumpjumpers. These lure tickle the bottom at about 20 ft, which is about what the deeper sections are.
Darker colors have been a good fallback when the water has color or go for the metallics if there is good visibility.

For casting around the timber, spinnerbaits really come into their own for depth control. Knoll's Natives cast great and dive well around the logs as do No2 Stumpjumpers.

As a 'general' rule, biggest fish are caught trolling deeper areas and the smaller ones are close to the bank.
The smaller fish (30-60cm) make great fun for the bloke who's into casting around the logs and can turn on some surprising horsepower over the first meter or so when they get up around 50 cm long.

Best Spinnerbaits to watch for are those with a bit of weight (1/2 oz +) and 'colorado' type blades. These are broader and can be worked slowest with the most noise.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

Cheers, NS

Rumpig
19-09-2001, 05:33 PM
So slates, you reckon crack out the bigger gear? Abu 6500 loaded up with 20Lb? my main problem with this is casting, my rod is pretty short 5'6 and it's a bit of an effort to belt out big lures on heavy line all day. Unfortunatly I can't afford braid :'(
. Any way, I'm sure I'll be able to make a compromise

Mick

speckly
22-02-2005, 04:37 PM
double ounce spinnerbaits, flatfish lures, ridgebacks and poppers or other surface lures ;) . They live among the structure near trees and logs ,get the lures brushing just against the structure and around it there should be a murray cod lurking around there. ;D

yellahunter
22-02-2005, 04:50 PM
oargee plows the big deep ones with a shot in the bib, no 1 stumpjumpers, predatek boomerangs and of course spinnerbaits, with either purple or red and black being excellent

good luck mate ;D ;D ;D