PDA

View Full Version : Yarrawonga (Vic)

Moffy
05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
anyone know anything about fishing in this neck of the woods.

Going camping with the Missus family on the murray river near Yarrawonga over easter and have to have a crack at some of the local fishing (long way from FNQ).

Any hints or tips or sure fire methods appreciated. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Moffy

aussiebasser
05-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Easter is big cod time on Mulwala. There is a guide who operates there, but I can't think of his name at the moment. Any of the local Tackle Shops in Yarra or Wangaratta will be able to put you on to the right methods. They've had 5" of rain there over the last couple of days, and that'll take a while to flush through. Just remember that Trout Cod, the ones with an underslung bottom jaw, are totally protected with big fines for having them in your possession. If you travel through Nerandera on your way down, it's worth the time to drop in to the Cod Hatchery to have a look at the biggies in the Aquarium. Last time I was there they had a 30lb Murray and a 30lb Trout Cod in adjoining tanks which made it easy to pick the differences. Here's a couple of pics of Lake Mulwala.

aussiebasser
05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
A little cod.

countersunk
13-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Good luck at Yarrawonga or Mulwala, depending on what side of the bridge you choose to fish.

One piece of advice that I suggest you take notice of is this. For every tree you see above water there are ten that are broken off just below the surface. They may look rotten but most people that fish the area will tell you that they are just about all red gum, which happens to be a hardwood.

The tip here is to go slow unless you are in a channel. I know from personal experience that it is common to get yourself stuck on a submerged stump in the middle of the lake, and believe me it's not a good feeling either.

Other than that it's a great place to have a crack at a cod or two.

I would suggest that the boat ramp at Majors Creek is a good place to start if you want to fish the upper end of the lake. If you choose to wander into the mouth of the Ovens River then you will need a Victorian License.
Cheers
Mick

Daintreeboy
14-02-2005, 09:13 AM
The Barra should be well and truly on the chew around easter. You might be able to get a nice Jack or two also. Be sure to have a floater out at all times for the odd Spanish cruising about ::)

Moffy
18-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Cheers for that Aussiebasser and Countersunk (forgot i put this post up).

I won't have access to a boat so that option is out (pretty familiar with the logs just under the water - have fished Tinaroo up here a lot and it is much the same)

You mention a Victorian Licence - (believe i will be on the Victorian side of things - but don't really know for sure) is there some sort of fishing licence required to fish freshwater in VIC or NSW for that matter?

As for you Daintree Boy - you'll keep - just don't be jealous when i bring home a photo of my first Green fish - will be a long time before you get a crack at one. ;)

basserman
18-02-2005, 10:05 AM
nsw have a fishing licence that covers both salt and freash not sure of the mexicans but

countersunk
18-02-2005, 01:28 PM
A NSW fishing license is required to fish Mulwala and in fact all of the Murray River. AT one stage the old river bed of the lake defined the boundary and which state license was required. But since a change over the last 12 months the NSW and Vic Govts have decided that NSW will look after all of Mulwala and Vic will look after all of the Hume Weir.

As I was saying in that earlier post, if you venture off the Murray into any of the feeder creeks or rivers on the Vic side, you'll need a Vic license.

It's all a big revenue raising load of crap, but for the small cost involved it can save you a bucket full of misery.

I hope that I have explained it in simple and clear terms for you to understand. NSW fishing licenses can be obtained online via a credit card. An electronic license is approved on the spot and can be carried until the real McCoy arrives in the mail, not so sure about the Vic license though.

Cheers
Mick

tdhau1
22-02-2005, 05:34 PM
so can any one tell me what part of murray between albury to mulwalla is the best fishing spots