PDA

View Full Version : Barra double line?

woolybugger
12-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Have been trying a few techniques with my leader to maximise strength etc for when I go Barra fishing soon.

I have been experimenting by twisting and doubling back the leader for approx 10 inch. At the lure end have put on plastic tubing to protect the line at the swivel then a crimp, twisting the line and then another crimp at 10inch, then a small plastic bead to protect the rod eyes from the crimp.

My questions are: Is this the best technique to use for the leader and also how do you get the line to stay twisted and not unravel?

Cheers...

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
12-10-2005, 08:18 PM
hopefully someone will reply tonight, i'll reply tomorrow. going out in a sec!
johnny
'til then!

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
13-10-2005, 12:23 PM
woolybugger,
you can make fishing as simple or as technical as you wish. the more simple the better i feel. twisted leaders and beads and tubes and pliers and bla bla bla can make a simple leader system turn all complicated. 30 lb braid and a 60 to 80 lb single mono leader is just fine. 50 lb braid and a 80 to 100 lb single mono leader is equally as effective . barra have rough and abrasive jaws as well as severe gill cutters that can nick and damage line easily. often leaders have to be cut and re-tied after one fish. even small fish can damage leaders with ease. leaders are to be checked often and replaced often. Too heavy a leader can interrupt with the diving and working capabilities of certain lures. Sometimes a fine line needs to be drawn between lure movement acceptability and leader abrasion suitability for best results. I would opt for a simplistic approach with leader choice and simple knots for ease of replacement after landing a fish. Leaders can get chaffed on snags, hooks, on fish's fins even. Connection of leader to main line via a doubled main line gives best results as far as knot strength goes. bimini twist doubles, or platted doubles give fantastic line and knot strength. Albright knot plus many various similar knots also end with strong results. keep everything simple, remembering you may have to tie and re-tie these knots at night without the aid of good light.
Most modern knots flow smoothly through rod guides without too much friction and interferance. Top/tip guide damage is uncommon from leader knots. Tighten knots properly , and trim tag ends short after you have pulled your knots up tight. tight means tight.
i'd opt for a simple approach.
best of luck ,
johnny M

Cloud_9
24-10-2005, 05:57 PM
i'll be useing guderbrod leaders.
flourcarbon braided hollow section abit like the fly leader and loop.
20Lb braid to biminy twist double to guderbrod plaited loop to 50 and 80lb mono shock leader. ( some new stuff from japan seems very rubbery to touch)
will have to see how it goes.

cheers Cloud 9

still_water
24-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Woolybugger,
I'm with Johnny on that one, all I use is an improved albright , it's quick and simple and strong and slips through the tip and guides very easily. When you have to tie an endless amount of traces on throughout the day you need it to be quick and not sitting there with line around your legs ,feet and ears just to have it scuffed or nicked on the next cast.
Brett

rivermanau
26-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Just back from a few weeks at Faust, we got 5 over a metre, with 4 from the sticks.
The gear - 1)
your choice of medium baitcaster, I also used a Daiwa Black Gold spin reel (similar to Penn Spinfisher)
2) Rod -light weight so it can be cast all day, rated 6-8 kg , must be good for casting accuratley

3) 50 lb Fins braid - nothing lighter in sticks, I have now seen 30 lb braid pop on a straight pull

4) leader Jinkai 80 lb or plaited leader made from 4 strands of 9 kg mono.

5) hooks at least 6 extra strong VMC or preferably Owner heavy duty- expensive so buy a couple of sets and rotate them

The fish do not leap onto the hook, I had a great time, but averaged less than one fish landed per day. You may get away with lighter gear in open areas, but most of us have made a fair bit of effort to make the trip, why blow your chances when you get them

Enjoy, Robert

Hornet1
27-10-2005, 02:34 AM
G'day Woolybugger,
The leader system you mention is the one that Jack Erskine & Lindsay Dobe started playing with some time ago at Faust. I'm guessing you have seen it on a DVD that was recently released with a segment on impoundment Barra fishing...
Having used the leader system, I believe it is virtually indestructable...whether you need something like that is open for debate as is whether or not it can actually "put fish off".
I believe it is a "horses for courses" approach....If the fish are feeding really aggressively and have the lure right down their throat, then there is a good chance they will fray the line with their abrasive mouth. If this is happening, then you do need to up the ante a bit and use a different leader set up. I have had fish bust through 80lb single leader with ease and it becomes quite frustrating when they have actually swum out into the open away from the sticks only to have the leader fail. Since using these leaders, my catch rate has improved, although they won't help you if you get taken through 14 trees in 5 seconds!!!
I usually take a few already made up just in case I need them and it's only a matter of tying a new double and attaching the leader using an albright or slim beauty. I have never had any unravel as the crimps stop them from doing so. I know Lindsay uses them and swears by them so that's good enough for me...anyway hope this helps.
Best of luck
Hornet1

woolybugger
27-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks all for the advice given and will definately put it to use on the 23rd Nov 05 when I venture up there for three days.

Sorry that I haven't replied earlier, however am still in severe shock when my wife and I found out that we are having twins, as she is pregnant.

My only concern is to keep the twists in the line, however will trial the tip mentioned earlier about using a drill etc.

Thanks again and hope to see you up there at Awonga one day and if you see a boat with Woolybugger Fly Fisher on the side, don't hesitate to pop over for a chat.