PDA

View Full Version : DVD FOOTAGE-Photos.Lake Awoonga High Flyers

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
12-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Here's a couple of shots taken from DVD camera footage that we have been taking recently. We have filmed some of the barra we have been catching, and i thought some of this may be of interest. The image quality from dvd video, converted to photograph will be poor, but the overall impression of a 20 kg barra flying high will still be the same. i'll post the second shot shortly! if you look closely you won't see the lure, as bigger barra have a tendency to engulf lures inside their mouth. hooks must be sharp, and hook gapes quite large to maximise contact within the barras mouth, and hopefully to catch behind its jaws. when barra engulf lures, they usually jump more than a barra hooked in the lip. if hook sizes are too small, barra simply open their huge mouths and the smaller hooks fall free when a barra jumps, without making solid contact. sharp firm rod strikes help pin the hooks inside, or as they are coming out. if you can't see your lure when the barra jumps early, strike hard!!
johnny M

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
12-09-2005, 10:58 AM
can't seem to post the second picture!!!! i've been trying,,,,will try again later!
johnny M

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
12-09-2005, 12:30 PM
2nd shot

elephrez1
12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
hay,
;D they are some of the best photos I ever seen awsome work.

exclusive
12-09-2005, 04:37 PM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Hell yeah \. thats what i"m talking about, pics like that are f__king great.................

McCod
12-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah Johnny... on that hook gape thing... would have to agree with ya and that is why its worth considering upgrading a lot of the 3 hook models that run size number two 3x strong hooks... turf the 3 hooks and replace them with 2 hooks with the the next size or 2 up. Owner 4x strongs are a good example wide gape trebles and are the sharpest hooks on the market in that sort of strength.

Cheers Les

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Les,
Good minds think alike, we also replace 3 hook lures with 2 sets of number 1 or 1/0 4x Owner trebles. All my lures carry Owner 4x trebles, no.1 or 1/0! nothing is left to chance!
Johnny M

To everyone,
They are expensive hooks, but simply the best around. buy bulk, its worth the effort. get your mates involved, buy a box. price drops dramatically. Using 2 larger hooks on lures that are capable of carrying three can eliminate tangled hooks. No point casting a lure around the place that gets tangled hooks every second cast!!
Strong hooks still get mangled occassionally. Barra have massive jaw strength, even small fish that are hooked foul can destroy good hooks.
Most lures off the shop shelf don't carry the appropriate hooks to constantly hook and land large Awoonga barra. Upgrades are essential for the serious angler.

PG
12-09-2005, 09:33 PM
So on a lure that's designed for three sets of trebles, when you remove one set, which one do you remove?
I imagined it to be the middle set ... am I right?
I've heard some people say that replacing the trebles with a single hook sometimes increases the strike/hook-up rate. Is this what you're talking about?

McCod
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Paul ... yep remove the 2nd one. Single hook will not increase hook up rate but when the single hook gets in... there is less chance of the fish throwing a well placed hook.

Cheers Les

Julie_J
13-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Wow! What great shots, especially the second one.

Love your work, Johnny M.

scotty
13-09-2005, 01:25 PM
THATS ASWOME DIFF WELL DONE SORTA LOOKS LIKE A COMPUTER GAME THAT IS MAD GOOD ON YA

SCOTTY

TonyM
13-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I get what you mean Scotty, when's it come out on XBox Johny? ;D

Although in real life it's just soooooo much better :)

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
13-09-2005, 10:38 PM
this is a mann's 20 plus with 2 Owner hooks attached. the middle one has been removed to prevent fouling of the larger trebles.
This is a small bony bream that was found floating on the surface today. the lure is used in this shot as a size comparison only. bony bream grow very large, 40 cm etc., this one is only small, about 8 cm. barra love them!!

McCod
14-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Yeah Johnny.... not meaning to Hijack ya post.... but talking about bony Bream & Barra... mate they love to snack on the Koolabung Bony an at around 100mm long they a perfect imitation of a real one. The Barra will often just cruise up and suck em in with the lure just sitting there doing nothing.Run em with a upgraded hook like number one Owners or 1/0 VMC and the hook up rate is excellent. Attached is a photo of a 109cm 40 odd lb'er that just couldn't resist a snack.

# Cheers Les

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
14-09-2005, 12:01 PM
No hi-jackin' goin on here Les, its all good! That's why we post , in hope that a conversation can evolve. I have one of those lures in a cupboard of all places. seems i'm going to have to dig it up and give it a swim. they look spot on those lures, as far as resemblance goes. ok,,off to the cupboard i go! if it works for me i'll have to call it the Leapin Les M'CKod Koolabung Bony Bream Barra Basher!
PS, love the photo!
johnny

woolybugger
14-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Excellent photo there mate and nice fish.

In regards to taking the middle or second hook out, I have heard to put a second split ring on the first one to lower it slightly.

Anyones thoughts...

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
14-09-2005, 03:36 PM
woolybugger, a second split ring won't help stop tangling hooks, it would only make matters worse i think as it would lenghten the reach of the hook by the diameter of the split ring. 2 hooks, one split ring per hook works fine.
johnny

luskin
14-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Guys
Re: 2 hooks in lures
I caught a nice 111cm at Faust end of april with a Hunter Predator Lure that is actually a cod lure and only has the 2 trebles.
Not sure what type of hooks but they are up to it. ;)
Well the fish was only 30 odd pound not like Awonga barra! ;D ;D

Cheers

Sy

luskin
14-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Here's a pic with the lure down it's gob

Cheers

Sy

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
14-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Luskin,
those hooks look quite sturdy.
it is still possible to catch big barra on light, fine hooks, it all depends where the barra happens to get hooked. As a rule, serious fisherman will leave nothing to chance, and upgrade hooks. its not heavy line that destroys hooks, its certain defined muscle groups in a barra's head/neck/gills that help create the massive leverage that can straighten and mangle hooks. vigorous head shaking also doesn't help the situation.
that's one very different looking lure! did the job for your 111cm barra tho!
johnny M

luskin
14-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey Johnny M

Thanks for the reply

Obviously by the lure choice I aint a serious fisho ;D

But I'll try anything to catch a magnificent barra :)

This thread has been very good

I'd love to a make it up To Awonga again someday. Sounds like it is really producing.

Last time there, was early december last year when all hell broke loose with the weather, remember?

Caught a catfish and nought else in tough conditions so headed to Faust and struck gold.

Keep up the posts excellent pic's and tips also

Cheers

Sy

McCod
14-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah.... Wild looken crinkle cut lure that one... been plenty of Barra caught on Cod lures. The number 1 Stump Jumper lure has scored a fair few on the troll up at Faust & Awoonga and is not a bad choice for part time Barra trollers as it tows from the body and not the bib... have not used the stumpy myself but know a few blokes that do. Only downfall to using timber lures with lexon " polycarbonate" bibs that have been glued in is that the glue usually weekens the bib especially 1.5 mm bibs with a bit of length. vary disappointing when you have just had battle with a monster Barra... just about to slide it into the net.... then snap its all over all ya get back is the bib :'( Has happened to me several times on timber lures with 1.5mm bibs and usually when when it's the only hook up for the day. I still use these lures and i'm willing to take the risk as they still catch there fair share of meter plus fish... but most of them are now upgraded to 2mm polycarbonate. they can still destroy the 2mm... but it gives a bit more peace of mind.

Cheers Les

Dannyboy
30-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Mate I'm new to the chat board but just the same the photos are just tops. How long was the all up footage?

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
30-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Dannyboy,
Welcome to Ausfish!
Great Site, I think you will enjoy it. There are many very helpful people on this site. Never hesitate to ask any questions.

We filmed about 30 barra captures about 2 months ago and we are about to piece the footage together to create a very rough DVD to release to help promote Lake Awoonga. It is very 'yobbo like', just a couple of my mates and myself catching barra and filming the fight etc. Nothing professional, although some of the slow motion jumps are worth watching. Its not a sale item, just a free-be promotional tool with most fish over a metre in length.
Johnny M

McCod
30-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Excellent photo there mate and nice fish.

In regards to taking the middle or second hook out, I have heard to put a second split ring on the first one to lower it slightly.

Anyones thoughts...

Bit late on this post .... but seens that its up the front again.... The 2 split ring idea is not a bad one..... as it gives you more hook exposure if running a smaller hook on the front end. # 2nd one to consider is some lures do not work as good when ya take off the 3 trebles and replace them with 2 large ones..... So by adding a 2nd split ring you get a double jink action and will sometime regain the proper lure action again.
B52's do not like upgraded hooks to much.... but will swim better with a 2nd split ring up front or on both ends. Other thing that it will help with #is stopping the hooks pulling when the fish is getting leverage on the 2 hooks.... as you will get around 360 deg rotation with 2 split ring.. but get bugger all with 1 split ring.... and this leverage is one of the main reasons why Barra are lost as it just starts pulling the hooks side ways.... A lot of my Barra lures run a 2nd split ring for these reasons.

# # Cheers Les

OODIES
30-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Unreal Johnny

Would love to see the dvd mate,THR PICS WORKED A BLOODY TREAT,WELL DONE. I took some video my my brother inlaw droping a 20kg + barra mid oct..... 20 min later I boated one 20.7kG 110.5cm
brother inlaw couldn't film it though.

Booked on houseboat for next OCT can't wait,will do a lot more filming thats for sure...........

CHEERS
Bingo

chris_macca
08-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah Johnny.... not meaning to Hijack ya post.... but talking about bony Bream & Barra... mate they love to snack on the Koolabung Bony an at around 100mm long they a perfect imitation of a real one. The Barra will often just cruise up and suck em in with the lure just sitting there doing nothing.Run em with a upgraded hook like number one Owners or 1/0 VMC and the hook up rate is excellent. Attached is a photo of a 109cm 40 odd lb'er that just couldn't resist a snack.

# Cheers Les

Found this old post, I'm heading up to Awoonga in feb '08 was wondering if the Koolabung Bony bream lure still existed as on the website I cannot find one named the Bony Bream? Can anyone please provide me with some info?

Thanks in advance

Chris

aushol4me
08-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Spent a week at Awoonga last year. Who said you can't catch big barra from a canoe? Have a look at this one (http://aussieholiday.com.au/photos/awoongaalbum/pages/3bbarramundi_jpg.htm)

the_matrix
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Dunno, who said you cant?
If you can catch them off the bank, then you can catch them off anything that floats.
Well done, nice pic.
Jas

scottym
09-05-2007, 04:02 PM
I would love to see these pics but I cant since the website was upgraded. any chance they could be re posted?

Cheers

Scotty

BR65
09-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Chris, if the koolabung lure is the same one as the one Im thinking of (does that make sense??), try Sundown Marine, Ive also seen them in the store at the camp ground at Awoonga last time I was up there.
cheers
Brian

SeekingBarradise
10-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi Chris if you are travelling up through Brisbane you can find a good range at The Tackle Wharehouse near stones corner/cooparoo or if you are coming up through Toowoomba you will find them at Fishn/Bits on Alderly street. Hope this helps you out.

Best of Luck & hang on tight as these lures get smashed!!!!

Cheers Lyndon.

McCod
10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Found this old post, I'm heading up to Awoonga in feb '08 was wondering if the Koolabung Bony bream lure still existed as on the website I cannot find one named the Bony Bream? Can anyone please provide me with some info?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Gday mate! If ya can't get on to some before ya go? Lake Awoonga caravan park have em hanging on the wall.
The maker went from timber ones to urethane injected ones and now he is back to timber again !! Both are great lures
The first timber ones had 1.5mm polycarbonate bibs and would break a lot. The moulded ones were tougher and ran 2mm thick bibs….. I think the new timber ones go a 2mm bib as well!
I think this is the pic I put up before the site update ?

Cheers Les

childers
11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
that small canoe barra isnt moving much !