PDA

View Full Version : Somerset report

Dexterity
31-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Hi Fellows,

Just a quick report for anyone thinking of fishing this dam in the future. The big schools of bass seem to have moved away from the Spit area and have made their way around to the underwater Flats and Sloping hills of Pelican Point. If you find a good sounding mark the spot then try Mask Jackals(8lb main/10lb leader) or sliders in Green\yellow core(4lb main/6lb leader) with at least a 1\2 oucne jighead.
Make sure that you let the lure drop to the level of the bass on your soundings and try to keep the lure in that zone as long as possible. Those of you new to Jackals try using 2 to 3 quick short hops and then dropping you rod tip down quickly. Keep an eye on your line while it is slack during the drop and if the bass hit it, the line will kick. Bass more often that not will hit this lure on the drop.
If the wind is up try using a driff over the schools using a long cast, plenty of drop backs combined with a very slow roll. If there is no wind the fishing on this dam can get tough, a good technique to use is to troll the slider grubs with a heavy jighead (1/2ounce+) using your electric motor.
I found that if the bite goes a little quiet try moving to another area to give that school a rest and come back later to give them another go.
It is a great time of year to hit Somerset the water is warm enough for a swim and also the bass are fairly active.
Hope this helps some who have had little success on this dam. Even though I live on the Coast I consider this dam to be my local dam and if anyone would like to learn more more about how to successfully fish this place I normally fish it twice a month and would be more that happy to meet up on the water.

dx

elephrez1
31-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Great info mate.

It's just what we like to hear, good inside info.

I just wished if every one caught and released there fish.

scotty
31-10-2005, 06:36 PM
good on ya mate any info from fishin from the bank where to fish etc

Dexterity
31-10-2005, 08:49 PM
Goin-West,

I have never fish Somerset from the bank but from fishing from my boat I know that 95% of Somerset bass are caught from deep water, so if you are going to Somerset and giving it a go from the bank try to find steep hills to fish from, maybe try the bank opposite the Spit concrete boat ramp.In most cases the contour of the bank will follow on to the water. Use lures that can be cast a fair distance, like heavy weighted plastics or even Jackals, let the lure drop to the bottom and try to follow the bottom when winding back.
Another thing you could try is to hitch a ride on a boat, I'm sure that if you are willing to share some cost petrol/food fellow anglers would more than willing to let you jump on board their boat for the day.
hope this helps you out. Lets us know how you go.

Dx

Herby13
01-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info DX.