PDA

View Full Version : Friend turning pool into bass habitat,

elephrez1
02-11-2005, 10:18 PM
My friend is turning above ground pool into a bass and fresh water habitat.

Just would like to know what are some key element he mit need to have and use for the best enviroment for these fish so they can live healthy.

When too big he would like to release them.

regards elephrez1

Jeremy87
02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Did the same thing to my pool last year, it got to the point were there was soo much algae that it turned the water septic and it killed the lot, i'd probably blame this on the use of pellets to feed the fish leaving too much excess nutrients in the water (we had silvers and barcoo grunter which readily feed on pellets) so feeding the bass with natural food will be a must. Also you might want to have a look into the legalities of releasing bass into the wild.

quinn
03-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Make sure there is water in thier, thats your #1 key element. Its all just about inputs and outputs of energy and matter, basically you want your outputs to equal your inputs. What does that mean? Well your just trying to balance everything to avoid accumulation of stuff you don't want like nutrients, such as jeremy had issues with, accumulated waste, heat (mostly solar radiation), oxygen and other gases, food source (pellets or live prey). To limit the accumulation of nutrients your going to have to introduce some form of biological control or use manual labour to remove algae growth. Feeding resime will have to be carefully considered to just supply enough so the bass consume it all, too much then you will have nutrient issues. There is always going to be accumulation of fish fecies and other aquatic life but this shuld not be an issue becasue it just should settle too the bottom and not cause too much trouble. You want to try and keep DO (dissolved oxygen content) high, this means keeping the water temperature at reasonable levels and not having too much aquatic plants or anything like that present. You will also have to supply the fish with alot of cover and have it in a place that is not overly noisey for obvious reasons. Make sure you don't overpopulate the pool becaseu you wont have required resources to support animals functions. Don't let kids swim in their and pee in the water that could also be very bad.

elephrez1
03-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks fellas

elephrez1
04-11-2005, 05:11 PM
How does anyone think about some barra in there aswell!

Feeding on live and frozen bait fish.

big_steve001
04-11-2005, 05:24 PM
best way is to feed them live feeder fish cause frozen will pollute the water as well if they are uneatin. also to stop algae form growin fast put a bail of lucern haye in the water this will stop algal growth for a while. also dont put to many fish in the water the mor eu put in the more oxygen they will nedd and the more polluted it will get. cheers steve

quinn
04-11-2005, 05:28 PM
All I can say is.. He must have a big pool. But I doubt he is putting them in as mature fish? At all round angler they have this massive saratoga in a fish tank, it almost sits end to end. I feel sorry for it, buts its cool to look at.

elephrez1
04-11-2005, 06:11 PM
No he is not putting them in as matured fish, just small.

And watch them grow.

quinn
04-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah that would be awesome. It would be good to see them feed on live fish, especially if your a barra fishermen.

elephrez1
04-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I'd love to go barra fishing but bass will have to do for now every thing is too far away.

Maybe this fish when they grow to a good size mit hit a soft plastic with n o hook.

elephrez1
10-11-2005, 05:41 PM
The pool is 35000 L shoukd be fun to muck with .