PDA

View Full Version : Red claw eatin eels

Pointyfish
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Visiting my parents property near Noosa this chrissy. They have a small dam on their property which they have been trying to stock with red claw for a while now. Problem is they have never been able to catch any of the red claw again. They have been told that they may have an eel in their dam.
Now I haven't got any fresh water fishing experience ( especially for eels! ) but I have been given the mission of catching the suspected eel. My question is how is the best way to catch one. Got a feeling red claw make good bait!

Hookem_Herby
08-11-2005, 03:45 AM
Mate,
this shouldn't be too hard .... piece of smelly meat, 20lb handline and a wire trace, leave it overnight and see how you went! ::) ;)

Gd luck,
Herby

outsiderskip
08-11-2005, 05:53 AM
eel eat anything
strong line tied to tree
should prove a result

cheers pete

Pointyfish
08-11-2005, 07:23 AM
cheers fellas. Sounds like it won't be real challenging after all.

Richard
08-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi Pointyfish,

Not sure if you are aware, but it would actually be illegal for your parents to stock redclaw into a farm dam near Noosa because it's outside their natural range.

It may not be an eel at all and they may just be dying from the cold as they are a tropical species. There are other more suitable species which you may be able to tock in dams down there. Give the DPI a call to find out what you can put in there and what might survive a bit better.

As for the eel, worms always did the trick for us.

Richard

quinn
08-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Take Richards advise, becasue even if you do get this eel its possible another one can just crawl in anyway. Either that or just turn it into an eel farm.

Pointyfish
08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Might have to chuck a barra in there to keep the food chain going!

scotty
08-11-2005, 10:51 PM
blow the bastards

budgebass
12-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi Richard

I would suspect that it would not be just 1 eel.

If 1 can get in, then he/she would have some friends.

And if they can get into the dam once then they will always be able to get in.

Unless you fence the dam in they will always get in

Cheers
Budgebass

turkey_beach_boy
13-11-2005, 09:52 PM
I had red claw in my dam too.Put in traps pulled them in and what was in their a big fat eel and lots of half eaten red claw.That how you catch eels ;D ;D.If eels dont get them the shags do.Then when it rains they all piss off to somebodyelses dam. ;D