PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga

woolybugger
14-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

Have finally booked in to go to Awoonga next week for the first time and am just asking if anyone out there has any advice on locations, I don't mean your secret spot (only if you want) but are they holding up in small bays or near trees or in deep water.

Also what techniques for night fishing.

Any info will be highly regarded to put a smile on a fellow fisho when he catches (hopefully) his first 1mtr+ Barra.

Thanks,

rivermanau
14-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Havent fished Awoonga but have fished Peter Faust recently as an impoundment barra newbie.
We booked a guide for a day which was worth the money. When you get into the trees its very overwhelming. In Awoonga I understand there are stands of downed lantana bushes as well as trees and bushes.
Basically what you after is an isolated snag in shallow water 2-3m up in a bay. The money snags at Faust were little groups of sticks say 2 or 3 about a foot apart, or a small snag next to a tree trunk. The cast was beyond the snag and through the gap. Retrieve is sloooww. jerk the rod tip slowly to dive the lure then retreive the line, then repeat. Don't use the reel to move the lure.
The slow bit is the hard bit. Although I landed half a dozen fish doing this, my best advice on fighting them is to hang on. When they jump do nothing at all, then retreive tension when they land.
You will lose some on the jump, this is normal. My other hot tip is to use really really sharp strong hooks. Owner heavy trebles are the go or 6x strong VMCs sharpened. You may get away with smaller hooks but it is better to gear up for decent fish, you may only get a few shots a day.
The latest Freshwater Fishing mag has a great article by Hodgie that says it all.
Good Luck, Robert

darryl_l
14-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Woolbugger Check ya PMs