PDA

View Full Version : how to catch srimp

bigman6969
12-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey,
I was just wondering how u catch srimp in the dams and in the upper Brisbane river. I would like to know what bait to use, how long to leave it in, where in the water and when is the best time.
Thanks

bdowdy
12-11-2005, 06:53 PM
:)try using your old fish frames,i use carp and work atreat in my local rivers but in dams try a native fish frame we dont want any more carp in our dams. soap is suppose to be good but again dont like the enviro side of it. or just a tin of catfood or dogfood. bdowdy :) ;)

scott_b
12-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Gday bigman
Mate been a long time since Iv'e bait fished !, but we used to use soap or a fatty chop in the trap set near a bit of weed . At night seemed to be the best .
wamjam

bigman6969
13-11-2005, 09:38 AM
thanks,
I used soap 1 time but didn't get anything. I didn't put them out at night though.

Jeremy87
13-11-2005, 10:40 PM
night is best. Anything fatty chuck into a couple of feet of water around weed. Check every hour or so as the shrimp eventually get out of most traps and small eels will also get into the trap and clean out the shrimp.

Herby13
14-11-2005, 10:24 AM
bdowdy we dont want carp in any creek or dam, how about burning those bastards, and using something else, they will be the end of freshwater fishing as we know it now if something isn't done soon!

Bigman6969 they are spelt SHRIMP, and save your time just buy lures instead! ;D ;D ;D

Thomas [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bdowdy
14-11-2005, 11:21 AM
:) ;)yeh agree fully about the carp, have noticed a huge decrease in the rivers down my way, our fishing club and some mates helped get rid of a few with carp comps and rakes when it was low. bdowdy ;D

Herby13
14-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Well done thats the way bdowdy, all the carp burnt then? some of the comp's give them to the fertilizer manufacture's dont they? Thats a top use for them! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

elephrez1
14-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Use a whole fresh mullet, slice it a bit, in a oprahouse net, at night time, I use this in the brissy river near Johnson rock (karana downs) it should only take 30min to 1 hour to have some.

If you really wanting alot you will do this for a good few hours, through out a shark line while you wait and have some fun if you hook you.

I have 6 six going at once I use a canoe and through them into the weeds by the time i have put them set up and put into place I check the first one and i always have a few in there.

good luck

elephrez1 ;)

Daniel_Christensen
15-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Anything meat works really . we jsut put some meat in a yabbie net and leave it out over night youll get a shit load. a dead carp cut in half works well to. dont bother with soap that doesnt work.

budgebass
15-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Gidday Bigman

Shrimp hang around weed beds and log jams are good, especially in upper Brisbane River.
Best bait by a country mile is yellowbelly frames, forget the soap.
Just on or after dark. New moon as preference to full moon.

Traps- the old collaspible ones with the zipper on top must have special ringed entrances now to stop killing turtles, but best thing to do is leave the zipper open.
U can use PVC Pipe with plastic drink bottle necks in either end, these work and dont kill turtles or water rats, and eels cannot get in. Drill lots of holes in PVC
I like to use open pot like witch hats with fine mesh, let shrimp crawl on.
and pull up

Remember u can only use 4 traps per person, and they should be marked with your name and address.

And dont get too many as they can be tricky to keep alive in summer. Wasted effort if u get too many and they dont survive.

Cheers
Budgebass

Bullux
15-11-2005, 11:10 PM
if u really want to have fun and get plenty of shrimp i would recomend getting a butterfly net and a torch and go out just after dark and shine the torch in the water and look for their red eyes once u have spotted them slowly try and scare them into the net. It takes a bit of practice but in about an hour i can get around about 30 to 40 shrimp
cheers bullux

kahla_creek
15-11-2005, 11:42 PM
try cobs of corn or raw chook fillet
Regards
Rob

d-head-90
16-11-2005, 10:00 AM
hi bigman6969 i go fishing 4 shrimp at johnson rock and i get lot of shrimp at low tide on the rock with a pool net throw the weed beds and i get about 30 every time i put the net throw the weed bed

;Dd-head-90 ;D

scott_b
16-11-2005, 04:30 PM
. dont bother with soap that doesnt work.
# # # I wonder what those nippery things were in my trap.
# # # # # # # #wamjam

smokie
17-11-2005, 08:19 AM
Those who know tell me Sunlight Soap!!

bigman6969
17-11-2005, 06:32 PM
thanks for those tips i hope they work. I guess i'll just try the different baits you told me and see which one is best.
thanks

ssab1
17-11-2005, 08:25 PM
::) ::) ::)hey fellas..im with wajam but its gotta be old style unperfumed like sunlight laundry soap not the cooks (dont i smell nice antiwrinkle forever beautiful stuff) it works big time. old style soap is made from what ??? animal fats....

scotty
17-11-2005, 08:38 PM
hey big man

when im fishin out west and we need some shrimp i ussally put the trap under a willow tree haning in the water or in the weeds as for best baits ive used soap but for little sucess i reckon the bait would be good old slab of kangaroo meat the reson fro this is that roo meat has a lot of blood in it and doesent lose its flaver unlike a pices of steak would i say eat your meat and use some fersh road kill they love it

cheeers

scotty

LOUIE
17-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Bigman

Soap works fine in the Western Rivers, better option is get a lamb or bullock heart from the local butcher,shrimp cant restrain themselves to get a whack at it.

Louie

bigman6969
19-11-2005, 08:02 PM
thanks for those tips

cheers