PDA

View Full Version : Hinze Dam enquiry

Dodge41
20-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Took my kayak up to Hinze yesterday, and although I have no freshwater experience took the rod.

In the bay east of Silver Perch Point about midday, saw a little point with a gutter either side and knowing that to be a good spot in saltwater I cast a small double tail SP onto the shallow point.

It hit the water and there was a meter wide explosion as something took off, unsure who got the greater shock; me or the fish.

Talking to another bloke on the water he suggested it was probably a saratoga sunning itself in the shallows [after the splash I looked and water was about 300mm deep, with 1m dropoffs], what is the opinion of others to the mystery fish?

Also are small doubletail plastics an option or waste of time?

Elysium
20-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I am pretty confident that it would of been a saratoga...there are some monster togas in Hinze and you happen to stumble across one. Chances are you landed the plastic right on it! thats why it got the spook of a life time!

Plastics of anykind will work on their day...But dont ask me anymore than that because I dont fish them...too slow...too boring!

hot_stuff
21-11-2005, 07:15 PM
toga for sure mate. keep given those plastics a go thay will pay off in the end.
azzman

masterdusky
21-11-2005, 07:24 PM
for those that fis hHinze regularly..is it better on dusk or dawn.....or doesnt really matter ..?? :)

Louis
22-11-2005, 11:48 AM
G'day Dodge41,

I'm going with the others and saying Saratoga.

I have seen them do similar things and Hinze Dam does have some big ones although I personally have never caught one there.

I don't fish Hinze regularily so couldn't say with any great deal of certainty but I have found dusk into night best from my experience with Hinze

Louis

Elysium
22-11-2005, 04:16 PM
A question like is better answered if you asked the fish! Only they know when they are going to chew...we just simply do our best to try and figure it out!

quinn
22-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Do you talk to fish much Elysium? Toga's would be hard to get on some soft plastics because of their bony jaw, even if you do hook one they can easily spit it, takes some effort to get them in, good fun though.

Dodge41
22-11-2005, 08:52 PM
G'day fellas, and thanks for trying to answer an impossible question.

Can see me having a go at the freshwater as Hinze is only 10 minutes from home, and a pleasant paddle, with or without fish, but will go in fishing hours next time rather than the office hours ;)

Louis
23-11-2005, 03:12 PM
G'day Dodge 41

I certainly agree with your sentiments that Hinze dam makes for a pleasant paddle, with or without fish.

It certainly is a beautifull part of the world.

Now that the "Tide" is back in and they have started to release more fingerlings again I suspect that in a couple of years it will go back to being a very good fishery again.

Louis

Elysium
23-11-2005, 03:52 PM
It still is a good fishery...who ever said it wasnt has rocks in their head!

Cloud_9
24-11-2005, 05:51 AM
think i said thAT once didnt i?
but have since changed my mind.
it only took 4 years to figure it out.
Cloud 9

masterdusky
24-11-2005, 07:29 AM
cloud 9... 4yrs...wow.... Ive jsuted fishing up there also.....hopefully it wont take me that long...if anyone wants to send me some hints or tips ...;) PM me.....:D