PDA

View Full Version : Somerset Dam?

breamking
29-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Can someone please help me with this dam as i have not yet fished it .Thanks

bassmanrd
30-11-2005, 09:26 AM
yeh mate sure,
I fish this dam quite regually and have alot of success. the trick to this dam since it is getting quite low is to have a good quality sounder. using your sounder, follow the main creek bed in water between 20 and 30 feet. you will quite often come across a school of bass. if you are trolling lures then mark the school with a marker and keep working it. if you are using soft plastics and ice jigs then use your electric motor to keep your self in casting distance or over the school for the ice jigs. now for lures, Little Rippers, Smak, Blitzbaggers ans brolgas all work. good colours are purple, yellow, and black and gold. I hope this of some use to you.
Bassmanrd

breamking
30-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks heaps (bassmanrd) thats a great help.Looking at going out this monday with a mate of mine.Will let you know how i go.Thanks again.

01-12-2005, 12:13 AM
where abouts the the old creek bed start if launching from the spit boat ramp?

flynny15
01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
iam thinking of heading that way on the weekend, can you use a powerd boat, also is a 4.5 m pollycraft to big.

one other thing is there a place to camp and fish at nite??

cheers

The_Walrus
01-12-2005, 10:52 PM
You can use powered boats on Somerset and no, a 4.55 poly isn't too big.

Places to camp are at Kirkleight (turn right when you leave the spit) and there's a camping area below the dam wall.

If you want to fish at night, you can launch from Kirkleigh but there's a fairly long 6 knot zone to negotiate.

The Spit area is locked at 6PM.

Luc

bassmanrd
02-12-2005, 09:39 AM
the old creek bed can be loacated in most parts of the dam. it is just a matter of having pacients and using your sounder and map out a good run with markers and where the fish are schooled up. they have been schooleing up in front of red rock if that is of any help.

02-12-2005, 05:38 PM
rodger that and thanks for the tips.... Re:locating the old creek bed; where should one start looking for the old creek bed at the spit end. Where does the "run" begin? Around the hump area or does the old creek bed actually meanders its way all the way around to the dam wall area ..... ?

WSW
04-12-2005, 03:54 PM
My suggestion would be to grab a Beacon to Beacon book and it will show the old creek bed for all the dams in the book. Well worth having until you get your marks on the GPS.

Happy fishing

Brad