PDA

View Full Version : First barra (hopefully third time lucky)

Gumby_II
11-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Going to Monduran for Christmas and New Years to try and catch my first barra. Have been there two times before with no luck, however going there for 10 nights this time and do not really come back empty handed.

Any tips to help me along the way. Will probably try and fish early mornings and late afternoons to keep out of the heat of the day.

Have always cast and retrieve before, however have read about a lot of fish being caught trolling lately. What lures and speed to you use for trolling?

Gumby

McCod
11-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Gumby_II .... Mate don't give up on cast & retrive .... you will get there !
If ya gunna troll ? A good speed is aprox 2.5 km/ hr.... but some times a bit more speed will get ya more fish. You can go a bit slower.... but most Barra lures work best with a bit more pace and the hook up rate is better at the faster speeds. As barra are sometimes on and off in a split second @ slower speeds. If you hook up @ slower speeds its not a bad idea to set the hooks . Barra lures that run 3 to 4 mtrs work good @ Monduran. Like the Halco Scorpions in 125 mm and 150 mm. The Predatek Vipers work good also

Cheers Les

still_water
11-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Gumby_II,
This would have to be one of the best seasons I have seen, there are not too many going home without landing a Barra whether it be 40cm or over a meter.
If you wish to troll follow what some of the other boy's tell you as they have scored some nice fish this way, myself as just about everyone knows get bored easily when trolling.
If casting grab some{ maximum} meter divers to 125mm long and hit anything that looks fishy as there are Barra holding in all pockets and corners and steep drop offs.
The main thing is persistance, take an hour or more to work a small bay over putting the next cast within a foot or two of the last with a twitch and slow retrieve. You will eventualy be rewarded.
I have been landing my Barra from around 7.00am through to 1800hrs with the main strikes coming around 10.00 untill 1500hrs.
Good Luck
Brett

Gumby_II
13-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Interesting to hear that most of the strikes are coming between 10 and 3, with my wealth of experience (not) I would have thought at this time of year it would be getting too hot in the middle of the day and it would be better when it was cooler in the morning and the late afternoon.

still_water
13-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Gumby_II,
# # # # # # # Everyone has different Ideas and techniques, in the past 4 years I have been on the Dam Professionally our main Barra landings have been between these times.
I know those that say different most probably haven't fished the middle of the day because of the heat factor , as we know it does get bloody hot on the deck up some back creeks out of the breeze.
A lot of times as I am putting in at around 8.30 boats are returning from a morning session and tell me I am leaving it to late , yet they come home empty handed, and when I am finished for the day they are going back out. When you talk to them the next morning some are still Fishless.
This year I have been doing some sunrise sessions but still the earliest Barra for me is 7.30am. The guys trolling get them a lot earlier. If you can get those who troll to hook up on this thread they may help you out that way. I can only give you what I am sure of otherwise I would be lying telling you how to troll them up.
You will work out a style to suit yourself and then maybe be able to help others in the future. I look at it as a learning curve every day as each day is different with different people and each one will always add something new for the old brainbox to absorb.
Brett