PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Monduran

still_water
16-12-2005, 09:01 AM
This year a lot of Fishing sessions for Monduran have been trolling.
Now don't get me wrong , I just get bored with it due to no skill factor required,{as there is in casting }and I enjoy the hunt , but it is a good way for first timers to hopefully hook up on their first Impoundment Barra to feel the power of what these animals have.
I have trolled a couple of times and of recent we boated 2 and lost 5. I'll Troll if my clients ask me to. {Or bribe me with a coldie at the end of the day.}
One thing I have noticed is how many boats can fit in the main Basin, The other morning there was ,well we counted 20 in the dim light Trolling up and back the same lines, crossing each others paths and some getting quite upset with the next and catching nothing, where a couple of danger seekers Trolled up to White rock and they averaged 7 each for an hour and a half, and the Biggest went 128cm the rest were all around the 85cm to a meter.
I have also been told by a couple of blokes that the late afternoon / night session is even better,all their fish went over a meter, so I will have to give this one a go rather than falling out of bed at 2.00am to try and beat some of the traffic and arguments which can be quite entertaining to listen to while half asleep and waiting for a strike.
Aparently working the Island edges and the timbered line all of the way up will see some good fish taken.
When using 2m divers a lot of Barra will break the surface on initial hook up , and 4m+ divers will see them run deep and rarley see one jump.
Anyway hope this helps some, obviously others will have their own plan, I find it doesn't hurt to offer a bit of assistance to those who may need it.

darryl_l
17-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Brett,

Good to see you have an open mind about trolling (for beginners) and the quality of the catch that can be had. I do cast and retrieve just as much as I troll and still find bringing a fish up on the cast a much more exciting proporsition. This said I think it is important for new to barra fishers to try as many techniques as are availabe to them to cut their teeth as it were.

Finding a fish in heavy timber can be expensive (on lures) if you are not used to the power that these fish have so getting a few on the troll can give many an insight into these great fish. I have found that trolling early and late and yes trolling in to the night is a better idea than getting up at sparrows to get on the water first but during the heat of the middle of the day is best kept for the old traditional cast and retrieve.

Darryl L

still_water
17-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Had a great day today with 5 in the boat , the Biggest went 112cm and the rest averaged 80 to 85cm all on cast, A lot of clients seem to have the bug for trolling latley , so I will keep up the 1 1/2 hours sleep a night to hopefully fulfill their ambitions , and yes as I do mix it up they are getting the best of both worlds, and hopefully learning a bit of both techniques.
I will post the photo once I have it on the computer.
The past few trips we seem to be lucky enough to be connected to some meter Barra,{TOUCH WOOD} but just landing them has been a bit of an effort for the anglers in the timbers, but some great expressions and comments are coming out.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
17-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Brett, Expressions such as "did u see the size of that *&%$#@"
and "HOLy ^%$*, that was as big as an elephant", also,
"*^(^$ me drunk, that thing was awesome!"
It sure lights some faces into a world of bliss!!
johnny
getting good barra at Awoonga, all casting during the daylight, best recently was 117cm. hooked 14 one day last week, 11 landed, one 70 cm, and 10 over a metre. great fishing at present.
Beer one day Brett??

still_water
17-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Johnny, #[smiley=idea.gif] Make it a Bundy Bear and I will be there before the Bubbles Settle [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif].

I also don't allow any words worse than Bugger me and Damn and Geez that was alright on my Biblicle Boat. [smiley=engel017.gif] {Ask my Girls, they'll tell ya , or they'll tell Mum anyhow}.

Catch up with you after Chrissy, I think the Family want to go up there for the day. I'll try and make it before if I have a day spare.
Also might have a couple coming up to you for a couple of days, if I don't scare them to much down here in March.

Pointyfish
18-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Do you troll using your outboard or electric motor?

still_water
18-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Both

McCod
18-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Brett.... bit worried mate [smiley=worried2.gif]..... you could turn into a Trollodyte [smiley=shocked2.gif] and become a reformed Casturbator #;D #[smiley=lolk.gif]

still_water
18-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Don't hold your BREATH

black_sheep
19-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Brett,

Do you reckon that the Barra in Monduran have always been susceptible to trolling or do you think thsi year, more of them are starting to school up in the main basin?? It's just that we've seen plenty of people trolling in past seasons without any success yet this summer seems to have produced dozens of fish.

Probably 3-4 years ago we'd see heaps of boats trolling for bass and not many hooked up to decent baraa. I think the best we saw in previous years was 50-60cms but all of a sudden............. why the sudden improvement in trolling???

The great thing about Monduran verse Awoonga and Faust is the expanse of water and you simply cannot troll anywhere or everywhere (especially at night) so it shouldn't impact on the cast and retrieve fishing like it has in other dams where the impact of trolling a specific area affects the cast and retrieve fishing in the same area.

Will head up to Monduran post xmas Brett so will give you a bell then.

still_water
19-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Not a prob Nav , give us a call.
Trolling in Monduran has always produced decent Barra, I have done it in recent years with success, but due to so many Barra being caught on cast over a meter I have never kept it up due to the boredom factor. I used it as an icebreaker for clients that have never fished before.
The main reason you are seeing so many reports of more and Larger Barra are due to more boaters trolling, at times there could be in excess of 20+ boats trying to dodge each other and Skiers in the main basin, rather than the one a week you use to see.
The hunt is what most people come to me for , to learn technique,lures and why that location and not over there.
This year has seen a massive marked increase in new Barra anglers hitting Monduran and Awoonga with the trolling method in the hopes of hooking up to a Barra. Some are still struggling to get one this way as they are not sure of speeds and lures, but I do try and help them out at the ramp.
I have noticed this year quite a few clients are actually asking to troll, I do this for a few hours and then take them casting so they can learn both ways. #
I find also some new boaters to the area admit to being frightened to travel to far in case they get lost , which is fair enough if they haven't got a GPS.
If a few boaters actually moved away from the basin and trolled elswhere they may find a better spot due to less boat traffic. ;), can't give out to much info on that, but it is a tip.
Catch ya later