PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga - Upgrading Lures

Dehydrated
24-12-2005, 02:57 PM
I am seeking advice on upgrading lures for use in Awoonga. Just wondering what setup everyone is using with respect to brand and size of trebles and split rings. Am looking at upgrading B52's, Halco Scorpions, Classic Barras, Predatek Vipers etc. Not sure whether to stay the same sizes as original for trebles and split rings. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers. :) :)

darryl_l
24-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Dehydrated,

Stay with the same size hooks as they are going to swim the best but up the strength to 6x if you can. I was only using 3x when I was there but I was also using fairly light line which means I didn't have a lot of pulling power to dislodge hooks.

Of the 160 barra hooked by the ten of us over a week most were hooked in the cheek and there were some, but not a lot, straightened hooks.

Darryl L

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
24-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Dehydrated,
Barra have immense power in select muscle groups that can destroy the best fishing tackle available with relative ease. Natural range of movement in a barras mouth, neck, their gills, backed by the forceful nature of their headshakes sees mass damage to hooks, split rings etc etc.
Regardless of line size used on a rod and reel, it is the power of each individual fish that destroys the hooks by the use of brute force, not by the simple pulling power of us on the rod.
Most lures purchased from a shop carry very simple , very useless, very weak hooks when used for barra fishing. The best available barra hooks on the market are (owner stinger trebles) in sizes number 1 and 1/0 in 4 x-strong. If you are serious about barra fishing for big barra, anything smaller than these 2 sizes can see you lose fish for various reasons. (too many to mention here)
Too small of a hook gape will often see poor results in hook up rates and will more often than not see foul hooked fish with a lure's small hooks pinning a barra on the outside of the head, the face, the neck etc etc
Barra have thick jaws, and hook gapes need to be well wider than this size for maximum hook penetration ability. Many barra inhale lures deep in their mouth! Large gaped hooks stand alone for max hook up rates in this scenario. (Again, too much to explain here, but smart angler rod work increases hook up rates in this type of case. If a barra jumps early and you can't see your lure, "Strike hard" to help pin hooks as often a barra is just holding your lure deep within the clutches and contours of his cavernous mouth. ( i could write a book explaining that one) Small hooks oh so often miss their mark when a large barra rejects your offering and opens his big gob and blows your lure back out!
There is so much to write on this topic!!!

Rig all your lures with big new hooks and you will notice different swimming and working ability, buoyancy changes and the like etc etc etc. You must test all lures, and at times you will be better off replacing 3 sets of shop (crap) hooks with 2 heavier sets instead. Specific attention must be payed to every lure during testing. Some lures won't handle the upgrade, most will! At the end of the day, your favourite lure that won't handle the change will be replaced by another type or style of lure that will catch equally as well.
Once you have good hooks pinned in a good fish, your well and truely close to that magic mark of landing him. Stay with cheap, or small replacement hooks, reguardless of line size, and you may as well go play darts or something!
Split rings, We use halco, not sure on the size, quite small, but very strong! If they are getting bent often, they are too small.
Manufacturer's put nasty hooks on to save on the $$$$$$$$$!
Big barra need specific upgrades!
Cut corners and you will pay the price.
Good strong hooks, better fishing techniques, top quality lines and leaders, smart rod work etc etc and your backing a 'winner!'

Regards, and merry christmas,
From Santa
Lake Awoonga

the_matrix
24-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Dehyd
You'll be best served using Owner ST-66TN 4X Stinger trebles as said above. A good tip is to float test your lures once upgraded, then swim them in a pool or in the dam during daylight hours. Its critical that you understand the characteristics of the lure chosen, they all have differences, some subtle some not so subtle. Changing finely tuned lures has pitfalls, but only if you dont take the time to get them back "in spec".
As far as your split rings are concerned, A_D_P has given you a heads up there as well, they are Halco Fish Rings in size 4XX. Great splitties
Another option, which I have been using is the OWNER HYPER WIRE forged stainless steel rings model no. 5196-054, size 5. Being OWNER you can be assured that they are of the highest quality.

Attention to detail at the early stages saves you the dissapointment at the later stages, but dont assume that these upgrades wont ever let you down. I've lost count of how many fish have opened up 4X trebles, it just goes with the territory. Quite simply though, the above terminals are the best on the market. (watch them evolve though, as the fish get bigger, we need to go bigger too! ) :D

I'd just about put money on a heap of newly designed lures will hit the shelves soon, all beefed up from the factory, aimed at impoundment barra, and ready to fish, straight out of the box.
Good luck! ;)
Jas

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
25-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Yea Jason,
We are on the same wave length here, that if others 'tune in', they can learn a great deal. You're never at home, and the days you have fished in the last 5 months, not to mention fish caught probably equals about 20 yrs fishin for the average bloke. A mass deal of experience gained in a short time! No one has repeat continued success unless they use the right gear. I'm sure our approach and styles would be very similar! I think i'd be right in saying that.
Nothing could be more important than the best of terminal tackle to begin with! Many people fall well short of what is required, and also well short of knowing what 'hurt' can be applied to fish through modern day fishing gear via braids, drags, rods, etc. Our barra surely are harsh on gear, even though they really are a bit soft in the 'grunt' department when compared to our 'local' salties!( and i think Jas, you've heard about our last session in the briny) Truely Magic Fishing.

Many people are way to 'soft' on big barra, and rightfully so, many are lost because of this fact. Horespower, and dynamite tactics need to be returned via a counter attack from the angler to stay connected and dominant during the fight. Well bent rods and tight lines help hold hooks firmly in place. Be a bit slack , soft, slow etc on a rod and reel and a barra gains the slack required to his advantage.
I am very sure, and have seen it often, how little drag people often fish when barra fishing braided lines on reels, especially on top shelf reels.
I would love many people to set their own drags and to then test the result with scales, then to do the maths and realise how much MORE hurt can be applied to a fish via our modern day equipment. Rods leave a lot to be desired though, but i'm sure out there somewhere is some quality , suitably priced rods that will fit the bill! I'm struggling to find much at present, considering that lesser experienced anglers will be using them on my boat. Also matched with that thought is the fact that many do get thrown overboard as I am discovering! So far so good as i am alert to the fact and even today i managed a superman dive to rescue a sinking rod that was accidentally cast from a clients hand. It will happen many times more!
At the moment i can't come to terms with a $400.00 rod with a $500.00 reel ,line , lure etc! $1000.00 outfits to get 'chucked over' doesn't quite fit! In saying that, anything under $100.00 breaks before you look at it, and the quality of many blanks has 'gone to the dogs' as many big companies compete with the effectiveness of cheap labour!....cheap everything!!

So, here we have a tough fish, in a sometimes tough environment, and we need to match it with tougher tactics. First you need to have the gear suited to do the job, and now thinking along the lines of how tough can i be or how tough do i have to be, and how tough is this fish,,,,,that on it's own answers the question to hooks and terminal tackle, and how good do they have to be to keep you 'joined' or 'connected' to this magnificent, seasoned and vigorous fish that just keeps growing.

santa
lake awoonga
!

** salt or fresh, a barra's ability to destroy terminal tackle would be close to the top of the list. This salty, roughly 50 Lb was landed using 3 sets of number 1 owner 4 x trebles on a large lure. Smart rod work by Terrin kept the hooks pinned well. Luck helps on many occassions, but good management governs all else. Who wouldn't be proud with a wild fish like this??

the_matrix
25-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Santa
Im hearing you regarding the rods. Its all good for us who dont have to worry bout droppn em over the side, but when you have clients who like making sacrafices to the barra gods its a bit harder! :D

Tough prob u have there, as u say its a fine line between gettn a rod thats going to do the "buisness" and ones that are affordable enough to lose one over the side from time to time. Im a sucker for quality, and just cant bring myself to compromise on them. Rods in my book are the linch pin in the art of barra.
Id rather have a cheap crap reel than a cheap crap rod. And yes, we certainly think alike!

Never at home is spot on, either at work or on that bloody dam..........soooooo much to learn so little time! Barra fever I think its called.Its rotting me. Started 2 yrs ago in January mate, when I moved up here from Gerringong NSW. Still a ways behind you but tryn to bridge the gap ;D Bloody problem is Im always seeing your car at the ramp as well! Same disease, same brain, same lifespan! ;)

Barra told me he spoke to you re some rods, I have been doing some testing for him on 3 impoundment barra sticks.
Super high quality (as you would expect from Millerods) high end GLoomis blanks , latest wire guides, spiral wraps etc. Fu%$en awesome. Super powerful down low. Im like a little kid with em.

How was your session today? Jenko and I had a late start, (night shift last night). Got busted up by a good specimen 2nd cast down the back, braid failure - hate that. Ended up with 4 all before dark best went 97. Jumped off 3 metreys. Seemed to go a bit quiet on dark, boofn and stuff but not into the usual , think they were on bonys? Anyway always a pleasure to be on the water out there, fish or no fish.
Dont like that night time stuff much any more. Im sure you will agree that during the daylight hrs is where its at. :D

If money was'nt an issue Id say check out these new rods, but maybe u shld have a look at the T-Curves. Reasonably priced, and Barra has done the development. Maybe have rods for seasoned anglers (top shelf) and rods for first timers etc. Just a thought.

Yeh heard all about the slt trip. ;D Mate Ive been drooln over those fish for quite some time, they have been there for a bit as u would know.I spend a fair bit of time workn there, bloody distractive! Have seen some absolute crackers amongst em. One of the other "area's" I work at has big numbers as well, plainly visible on the flood. Amazing watchn em ambush their qarry.

I will bring one of my new sticks over to Jenko's tommorow, if you drop in you can check it out.
Santa's little helper :)

the_matrix
25-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Oh yeh forgot to add, yes that is one hell of a wild barra.Why wouldnt u smile eh? Good fish!!!!!
Im not a big believer in luck. Luck doesnt ensure you beef up you terminals, luck doesnt put you where the fish are, espeacially when it comes to wild, big tidal barra, that have had to dodge all sorts of natural preditors (as well as un-natural ones:) and luck doesnt buy you the best tackle you can afford. You can make yourself a bit of luck though, by making informed decisions and using your hard earned knowledge to its fullest. I really annoys me when people try and belittle ones capture by saying "he was just lucky". Im sure you would agree.

In regard to your Terrin's rod work, you know smart rod work when you see it. Would certainly have contributed to his capture. How you work your rod is an area of fishing that is very much downplayed, but if you ever see Fishing Pioneer and Legend Jack Erskine work a Barra with his rod angles you'll know what I mean. Im sure you already do anyway.
Jas

whiting
25-12-2005, 08:29 AM
Jas,

Those T-Curves are they a standard rod available at tackle shops or custom made?
Is that the model or brand name?
Rough cost?

Whiting

the_matrix
25-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Whiting
Yes mate they are an off the shelf model in the Shimano range. They have been designed by Ian Miller and have all his usual attributes ie light weight and fast tapered, high quality quides, excellent finish etc.
They retail, depending on the model you are after (the range is huge, from heavy duty jig sticks to barra baitcasters) for approx $250 dollars.
The Barra stick is a very powerful rod and physically quite light. I have one myself.
All good tackle shops should stock 'em mate, so you shouldnt have too much drama locating them.
Cheers
Jas

Dehydrated
25-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys for the awesome info!! #You guys should write a book. #You sure have alot of knowledge floating around in those heads. ;) ;) #I now have an excellent base to work from to upgrade my lures. #Hopefully it won't be long before I can try them out for myself. ;D ;D

Thanks again.

the_matrix
25-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Dehyd
No worries mate, hope we were able to assist you!
Best of luck with your fishing endeavors.
Jas ;)

whiting
27-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks Jas - I'll have a look in the tackle shops.

Whiting