PDA

View Full Version : Lenthals set up?

GBC
14-12-2005, 03:03 PM
G'day all,
I'm mainly a salt water type, but am heading home(Hervey Bay) for Chrissy and I'm not taking the boat, however I have a 15' canadian at the bay, so I reckon I'll stretch the arms for a morning or 2.
Questions:
1. From where would I aquire a stocked impoundment permit?
2. Is the dam locked at night? If so what time do the gates open?
3. Squidgy stick or 8kg barra outfit?
4. Any secrets? ;D

Regards,

C.J.

warrior
14-12-2005, 06:40 PM
how are you gbc,your canoe will be fine the dam isnt too big and heaps of little bays to paddle around,you will get a permit from one of the tackle stores in HB ,your squidgy stick will be fine as the barra are not too big at the moment ,they will test you out though it might pay to put some thing like 6kg braid on depending how light it is.the bass pull like freight trains as well.i am pretty sure the gates stay open all night. cheers AL. ps put your 8kg stick in just in case you get blown away.

bigdan123
14-12-2005, 08:37 PM
8 kg might be to light ;)
there are some big fish in lenthalls
i lost one around the mt mark two weeks ago
and paul dolan was able to put a client on to a 94 cm barra on sat morn
anyway have a look at this site
http://www.frasercoastsportfishing.com/

some nice pics of the fish that can be caught in the dam

Dan

GBC
15-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Cheers fellas and thanks for the info.
If you see a white rosco with some clown with a 17kg standup outfit dragging mackbaits around the dam you'll know I've drunk too much and forgotton all you've told me...
Merry christmas.
C.J.

dasher
16-12-2005, 10:25 AM
G'day all,
I'm mainly a salt water type, but am heading home(Hervey Bay) for Chrissy and I'm not taking the boat, however I have a 15' canadian at the bay, so I reckon I'll stretch the arms for a morning or 2.
Questions:
1. From where would I aquire a stocked impoundment permit?
2. Is the dam locked at night? If so what time do the gates open?
3. Squidgy stick or 8kg barra outfit?
4. Any secrets? #;D

Regards,

C.J.

Online here CJ

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/10203.html

How long are you staying in the Bay?????

GBC
16-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Dasher you little beauty,
Tks for that.
I'll only be in town for the public hols, but we get home quite regularly. Parents are at Dundowran (palm lakes).
One day maybe I'll move back.....would like to but have started a family in brissy - looking difficult now.
Cheers,

C.J.

WHITTO
17-12-2005, 04:19 PM
:) :)G'Day All, Just some information regarding Lenthalls, recently did 4 days at Monduran,we were unable to see the turn off for Lenthalls on our way to Monduran,could someone give me a turn off road for Lenthalls,Appreciate the help in advance, Cheers Merry Xmas and Good Fishing 2 u all Whitto ;D ;D

TonyM
17-12-2005, 04:35 PM
It is a bit tricky Whitto, unfortunately signage doesn't seem high on the priority of the council, the forestry, or the water board!

On the highway there's a small sign - will have to get a pic to post up, would certainly make it easier to know what to look for when going there for the first time.

Next time I'm up that way I'll try to get a few pics of the road in (it's a mess by the way). If you haven't got a 4wd I wouldn't reccomend using the road during or just after heavy downpours, it gets some pretty deep puddles quickly (last night we were expecting the boat on a trailer in front of us to float off - it came very close!)

It's also full of potholes so you'll need to drive for the conditions (I got in trouble for not mentioning that to someone I gave advice on how to fish there, so wouldn't want to get in trouble again) ;D

WHITTO
18-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks Tony would appreciate any information on signage when possible, Cheers Whitto

GBC
28-12-2005, 10:36 PM
G'day,

How pretty is lenthal's? Arrived there at 3.30 a.m. and paddled off in the darkness, watched the sun rise, caught nuthin, and had a great time. Left all the fresh water gear at home so ended up dragging an Arafura Barra around. (Only lure I could successfully cast on 8KG gear). the lure was hit a few times, but i'd imagine they were only small. I'll definitely be spending more time there having ignored it for 30 odd years. Does anyone know how concrete the plans are to raise the wall and flood the Wongi waterholes?
We used to ride our push bikes out there from HB when we were kids and camp for a few days. Now i doubt i could ride to the end of the street!
Anyway thanks for the info, hope the new year is good to you.

black_sheep
30-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Whitto - I haven't seen any signage either, other than Wongi State Forest. There are 2 Wongi State Forest turn offs about 10-12kms past the Maryborough turn off. Take the second one but as another member mentioned can be a bit rough and pot holes are large sowd is recommended if it's wet.

Fishing was shut down the last 3 days and we only managed about 12 bass including a little barra. All on surface lures at sunrise and sunset - nothing caught through the day. Far bit of weed hanging off the lilly's too so hard to fish with anything but surface lures. Some fish caught on Jackalls in deeper water away from weed.