PDA

View Full Version : Ever wondered what Barra look like on a sounder?

the_matrix
06-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi all,
Here's a show I had on my Lowrance gear 2 nights ago. These fish were "circling" a particular area, giving me the shits basically! :D
Seconds after this show I got my first strike, only to jump off a metrey, then next time they came around again I nailed this fish.
I have seen a few threads where people have wondered what Barra look like on a sounder, hopefully this helps out a little.
Dont expect the fish to nail your first offering though, often you need to "activate" them, in other words make it impossible for them to resist! ;D
Cheers
Jas ;)

the_matrix
06-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Here's the fish.

the_matrix
06-01-2006, 07:48 PM
;D

McCod
06-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Hard not to get a bit exited with a show like that Jas. Did the fish come up to a cast lure? As it looks like your near stationary .

Cheers Les

the_matrix
06-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Les,
Yeh mate casting, I was stationary (electric), been trialing a new technique, lots of hours for small information gains. :-?
But, after that night plus todays session, its certainly coming together.
Doesnt it suck when you cant fish with confidence? You know if you switch back to what you know you'll nail one, but nothing is gained.
Feeling like Im getting closer now though, helps with a show like that eh?
Jas

the_matrix
07-01-2006, 08:00 AM
By the way the fish was 109, looks bigger against the brag mat because it flicked its tail just as I took the pic. :D

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
07-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Yeah, spot on Jas, but also i think people need to take into consideration the depth range at use, and also the fact that you have a slight zoom in operation. Barra image sizes displayed on screen vary according to all relative zoom and depth scales selected in operation! As far as sounders go, i'd say that your choice of range and zoom in this case is pretty well 'on the money'! Slight zooms, and close range windows, similar to water depth help display a better image.
Great post, Great pic!!,,,,,,,,,,,,People must also remember that I think Jason's boat is 'just' moving under the power of electric motor. Not stationary, and not at 6 knots!!!!!!!
Great Find!!
Johnny M

BG
07-01-2006, 03:21 PM
So does every arch on the sounder indicate an individual fish or could the same fish swim into the beam a number of times on the same screen?

Ben

cy_taylor1
07-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Hello,

In a previous trip to Peter Faust Dam we explored new locations with the sounder. We concentrated on the large dam wall area and deep points close to weedy shallows for possible deepwater cast and retrieve presentations. Below are a few large showings which we encountered while sounding out and around these areas.

Thanks

Kerrin Taylor
Whitsundays QLD

cy_taylor1
07-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Open_water_2

cy_taylor1
07-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Open_Water_3

McCod
07-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Some good shots there Kerrin....
BG... yes it is possible to see the same fish more than once swimming in and out of the cone.

Cheers Les